HDS EDC Ultimate 60XR/Orb Raw/Pierce M10

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Which one? I wanna get a tiny powerful tool for EDC. I don't want to want another similar light after that. I'm not going just for WOW, but for a great tool that is reliable and useable. I'm leaning toward the HDS. Its hard for a newb like me to tell though. I have an L4 and love it, should I even bother? I know, I know, get em all. But really, which one if you had to pick just one? Are there others I should consider?

Taylorf

Enlightened
I only have experiance with the Orb Raw and I love the light but with its short runtime (I know the low is pretty long, but not that bright) it probably is not the best option. I just bought the Raw for its wow factor, but it probably would not be the best EDC. Plus (unless they have changed since I bought mine) they are not even close to being water proof. Im not even sure I would want to even use mine in the rain since water could leak in through the edges of the lens.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but the Raw is a gimmick light. It's one of those lights to show your friends, but you never use it when you really need a light. The HDS, on the other hand, it most useful. It's much larger than the Raw, but much more useful in my opinon. For even the very demanding flashaholic, it serves over 90% of your lighting needs. I can't comment on the other light. I've never heard of it.

ront

Newly Enlightened
I think that this_is_nascar nailed the answer! My vote would also be for the HDS U60XR. I have one and it is a great light!

Ron

TorchMan

Enlightened
I have the Raw, and an HDS EDC U60. The U60 can do so many things, in regards to light levels (approx. 20 of them) and custom features. Plus, it can use primaries or rechargeables. And it has different battery tubes, not sure which ones are actually out. It will also step down in light levels when the batteries are weakening. Add thermal protection (Which steps down the level when the light is too hot) and waterproofing - it's a great choice. If you want to clip it to your pocket, be advised that the clip is not very secure, and is considered by many to be it's Achille's Heel.

The Raw is not waterproof, no O rings. Mine is very bright on high, but the afore mentioned runtime is an issue. The low runs forever, that's what I use most. I keep it in pocket, inside the plastic case it came in. I do like the tritium locater, and it's small and light. I consider it a killer backup light.

The Pierce is not something I've used personally. I'm not fond of twisties for my main light. It may be high quality, the price and description would suggest so.

Among your three, I'd go with the HDS. Odds are you'll get good tint, but if you're looking for a guaranteed tint, you can get that too. Mine's not guaranteed, and the tint is bluish, like HID. I can live with it though.

One last suggestion: A McLux PDIII. Piston for momentary on in high or low, twist for constant on. The high is a good balance of brightness for the great run time. The low is also well done, lots of runtime and not too bright (though it won't go as low as the lower settings of the HDS). I've never changed the battery, and use it all the time. I have the standard clip on mine, and keep it clipped to the jeans pocket. It's very secure, best clip I've ever used! Also uses primaries or rechargeable. The tritium locater in the piston is *so* useful to me! Not sure how available they are now days though (Direct from McGizmo).

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
Another vote for the HDS....I love mine. Get the small nylon holster that Lighthound sells. The HDS plus a spare battery in the bottom fits perfectly, and it is all a small package on my belt.

But I have Firefly 3 on the way also!!!!

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Thats how I was leaning. I really appreciate all you guys help. Is it worth the extra $ to get the guaranteed tint? Its only 20 dollars, or ~10% of the cost, so I can't see why not. Also, who is a good vendor to go with, and is it possible to get a discount anywhere on one?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Same with what this_is_nascar and TorchMan said—

I just recently acquired the OR.NS and while it truly is "small" in stature, it does put out quite a bit of light for its sheer size.

Even I've stated here a number times regarding the HDS Systems light as being "short and stubby," I may very well get one soon enough.

That PierceLight sure is something too—

TorchMan

Enlightened
Fiddleback said:
How would a Lion Cub compete with these, and what do they cost?

I think the LionCub competes very well, from a performance stand point. It has a nice user interface, offering many options. I love the side switch.

My LionCub replaced my HDS as my pocket light for quite some time. It won't strobe like an HDS, but it does have two really cool user interfaces to choose from, one with 64 brightness levels, the other with 5. It can use primaries in a pinch, but requires rechargeables to get the full brightness. It's not regulated (neither is the Orb Raw) but does run a good time and is quite bright on the highest setting. It's got a degree of waterproofing/resistance.

When it comes to accessories, the LionCub has some nice ones. The LionHead, which I think is a modified Maglite head, will allow the Cub to throw a tight beam, like a lightsaber some say. You can also get battery tubes for the Pila 168 and 150, for extended runtime. There are more accessories, I think, but can't remember them all.

As to availablity, no one has them new anymore, Lighthound was the last place that did. BST board here, or FlashlightForums would be the place to look. The Cub was made in bare aluminum, brass and HAIII. A few Ti ones exist, but they are rare and pricey. I'm not sure what the others go for in resale these days, but they were $175 when new for the bare alum. at Lighthound, if memory serves.

You might also check out the Chameleon, the successor to the Cub. It's got lots of options, includeing the ChamelHead (same as a LionHead), plus a slim head and tube that make it about the same size as a Cub. If you can find them, there are battery tubes. The Chameleon allows you to choose the current drive level to the LED, there are five settings, starting at 350ma to something like 1.1(Edit: it's 1.2). The awesome auto lockout feature is gone due to this taking up a lot of programing. That's my biggest problem with the Chammie, I miss the auto lockout.

Sorry to ramble off-topic from the original post.

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
I have (had) all three...still have U60XR and Raw. The Pierce, IMO is disqualified because of the single stage brightness. The Raw is cool...you could probably carry it in a pair of Speedos.

But the U60XR is by far the most useful for EDC. 4 programmable brightness levels and a decent size to carry in about anything BUT a Speedo. :)

I don't see much value in spending the extra money for a GT version; the two I've had are very white with a touch of warmth.

TorchMan

Enlightened
magic79,

I need to go back and re-read the Pierce description, because it was two brightness levels, one at 400ma the other at 1000, and I could swear there were even photos of the bezel showing this. Maybe it's another Pierce light, not the M10 that's confusing me.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
it has two leveles but you must , unscrew head , find a little slot in the threaded area of the head and use a paper clip in the slot to slide a micro switch
TorchMan said:
magic79,

I need to go back and re-read the Pierce description, because it was two brightness levels, one at 400ma the other at 1000, and I could swear there were even photos of the bezel showing this. Maybe it's another Pierce light, not the M10 that's confusing me.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Thank you, TenMike. I did not realize it required that. Makes the Orb and PDIII that much special-er.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Ill throw in another vote for the Lion cub or Chamelion,great user interfaces,very flexible/useful light.Very bright and white.The lion cub sell between 150 and 200 on BST. You can get the chamelion at lighthound for 189 IIRC.The Lion cub is probably my favorite EDC because it the flexible and friendly user interface.I think easier to use tha HDS,from what Ive read.

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Thanks for the rundown guys. Now I've gone from knowing I want the HDS to having to choose between it and the Lion Cub/Chamelion. Its not happening till June anyway, but I can't stop looking.

Thanks again, and please DON'T POST SPEEDO PICS. "Is that a Maglite in your speedo or are you just happy to see me?." LOL.