Nite Ize LED Upgrade for Mini-Mag; failure

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
FYI, at about three months of intermittent use, my first Nite-Ize drop-in replacement for Mini-Mag has failed. One of the three LEDs ceased functioning for an unknown reason. It had been used with regular Rayovac AAs and has never been dropped or mishandled, so I'm certain it is a materials/assembly failure.

Returning it for a replacement...the warranty is 2 years, but it's hard to even find that on their website. Oh well...$5 almost wouldn't cover the postage to and from!

Jim

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I guess if you were adventurous you could try to replace all 3 LEDs with some better ones.

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Yep, look at it as an excuse to take it apart. I don't have the figures with me, but I think that module draws around 250 mA from alkalines. Even allowing for a lower efficiency convertor, that's still likely overdriving the leds.

The leds look to be standard 5mm units - I only see 1 set of bond wires inside, so figure they're single-die. Something like the Nichia super-leds or the SMJLEDs ought to handle the extra current better, and put out more light.

From what I can see, the leds are through-hole soldered, while the other visible components are SMD. If you can get the board out of the plastic cup, replacing the leds ought to be simple.

If not, it's just $5 (and a nice excuse to try the colored NiteIze drop-ins, if you like).

Best,
Jon

Illum

Flashaholic
So far mine hasn't died, but if it does im ready to buy another bulb with higher qualities than the nite-ize...Luxeon... moowhahahahaha!

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_ministar2.htm

throws light comparable to my SL Jr Lux

TerraLux TLE-5 $35 + Mag [Freebie, it was a gift]
Throw: 300
Overall: 1335

Jr Lux $30
Throw: 385
Overall: 1500

Thanks Quickbeam
Source: www.flashlightreviews.com

Any one know where to find a replacement kroll switch? and whether or not it will fit on a Minim*g?

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
same thing happened to me and they sent me a new one and they gave me their ups account# so i could send them the defective one back

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I won't be buying anymore MiniMag drop in LEDs until the new MagLite 2AA LED it out. Could be a better, more reliable light, at less than just the aftermarket drop in.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
I think for the price, continue using it until none of the LEDs light up! How many bulbs would have bitten the dust by now?

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I just couldn't wait for the MAGLED minis, so I bought a NiteIze drop-in for my Mini-Mag just two days ago! It works okay. (The replacement tailcap works fine, but sure does feel a little cheap.)

I don't know squat about taking these things apart, and/or replacing LEDs with better ones, etc. (much less do I know about converters, blah blah blah) so I hope this thing just keeps on working. (Of course, it's not my go-to EDC light, anyway.)

Might I mention that I have had this particular Mini-Mag for at least 15 years?! No, wait -- Holy moly, actually, I think I've had it since at least 1986, because I remember when I got it, and I think I was in 10th grade... that woulda been '86/'87!! :drool:

-Jeffrey

havand

Enlightened
Atleast yours worked...bought my dad one (among other things) for Father's Day, havn't seen it light up yet. I think its a DOA. I'm a little pissed.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I guess I just got lucky. I have 3 minimags with NiteIze dropins, and my dad has a few as well. Between the two of us, the only problem we've had was water getting in through the clickie tailcap and corroding an electrical contact surface in one of the lights. It no longer works, but the drop-in works in other minimags. Maybe I need to subject the lights to some hard use and see what happens.

I have noticed different tints with mine two are rather bluish, and one is greenish. The one I bought most recently is noticeably brighter than the other two, and I wonder if NiteIze started using more efficient LED's.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yukon_Jack said:
I won't be buying anymore MiniMag drop in LEDs until the new MagLite 2AA LED it out. Could be a better, more reliable light, at less than just the aftermarket drop in.

Exactly. And it won't be sporting 5mm's either.

Illum

Flashaholic
jnj1033 said:
... I wonder if NiteIze started using more efficient LED's.

I don't believe nite-ize will actually use better LEDs, Nichias, respectively. cuz that will break their price point target of $5. :awman:

Personally, I found the LED modules to be a cheap, entry-level substitute for the stock minimag's bulb. A cheap alternative that puts out useable light while conserving battry power for a 10+ hour runtime. :grin2:

phaserrifle

Newly Enlightened
I had an niteize Led unit, and never had a problem. unfortuneatly the tail cap switch wich came wiht it was rubbish. never realy trusted them after that.

bob4apple

Enlightened
"FYI, at about three months of intermittent use, my first Nite-Ize drop-in replacement for Mini-Mag has failed. One of the three LEDs ceased functioning for an unknown reason."

The same exact thing happened to me. I don't mind, though, because it was so dim that I was happy to get rid of it.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 1 watt single bulb LED upgrade in several minimags and they work great.

One of the LED upgrades had a bit of a reddish hue to it. I contacted NiteIze and they sent me a new one.

x59628

Newly Enlightened
I suggest getting their 1 watt Luxeon / IQ switch combo for $20
it's pretty bright and the switch is waterproof too!!!
it will last a long time, although after about a half year of EDC, the circuitry in the switch started to rattle. It no longer works.
Do be aware that the LED module is sorta thick, so the head of the Minimag will wobble a bit.