No Brand Flashlights any good?

roguesw

Enlightened
optics dont change lumens, lumens is the overall light coming out of the flashlight, however, u can change lux using optics or reflectors
uh, i wouldnt believe those figures, sometimes, they are just copied from the Luxeon manufacturers site (sometimes these figures are theoretical number that can be achieved under laboratory conditions)
but i must say as a cpf'er and flashaholic, buy it :)

tobjectpascal

Banned
would a better question be...

is that flashlight posted above WORTH anything, keep in mind it only costs around $30 US for it...

" With extreme styling for extreme applications, this Xenon torch by LIKKI is driven by 7 watts of the latest Solid State Lighting Technology.
Powered by 3 x CR123A Lithium batteries, this torch epitomises compact light power technology with approx. 2hrs(full power) of extremely bright, ultra white light."

mdocod

Flashaholic
It looks like a G&P X9.. As far as I know- that's not a LED light at all- I think this seller is very confused about what he is selling- and is just combining buzz words from all sorts of different lights because he can...

If it is in fact a LED mounted into that reflector- then it's not going to be 230 lumens- but it will probably be pretty decent.. I guess comparable to the "golston 7W." If it is in fact just a G&P X9- then it will be about 140 lumens of decently white xenon power- but runtime will be more like 1 hour. If I were interested- I would push some serious questions in the direction of the seller, and force him to change his buzzword-combination policy.

thefish

Enlightened
It is what it is, a cheap light probably made in China, maybe a copycat LUX3 LED or maybe a Incan of some sort... assuming it is and LED you can be sure it is not really 7Watts of light output, it may however use 7Watts of which 3-5 go to the LED 2-4 go to the resistor making heat. Knowing the above facts I would probably buy one (if it were around $20USD) and if I needed a new flashlight.

BTW: there is no such thing as Xenon Luxeon, Xenon and Luxeon are 2 totally different things, makes me wonder if it is an Incan or a LED...

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I bought the same light on Ebay from another seller who used the same PICs and bogus description. It is an incandescent light. The body is very much like the G&P X9. Seems to me they were trying to copy the G&P and Wolf Eyes lights when they designed this light. It has a tactical clicky tailswitch. It is a reasonably good light but not nearly as good as the Wolf Eyes lights. It does not make 230 lumens but perhaps between 150 and 175 lumens. It has a nice beam and is built pretty solid. I run mine with two of AW's protected 17500 cells.
jc

FirstDsent

Enlightened
It is obviously a Xenon light, all that "solid state" and "no filaments to break" nonsense should be disregarded. That said, it may still be worth buying for the price.

It is physically exactly like the G&P. G&P makes excellent lights. Likki is a familiar name, but I don't know anyting about them. It has an approximate 38mm reflector. If it is a decent light, I'd buy it just for that 38mm head and mod it! I love big reflectors. If it is in fact a G&P, I'd buy more of them at that price!

Bernie

Illum

Flashaholic
My opinion:

Ignore these:
-7 watt
-Up to 230 lumens output power [Possibly overrated]
-
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The single 7 watts Xenon contained within this torch is the equivalent of up to 130 standard LEDs together. I dont know whether thiis is a valid comparison...
Hold the thought:
[/font]-Self-defense tool, bright enough to temporarily blind an opponent,
[well, my XO can blind someone and its only at 28.6 lumens +/- 17%]
-2 hour battery life
[This may hold true, its better than the marketing hype 75 hours]
-Personally, I don't trust no name Lithiums that come with flashlights, unless its Duracell et al that will replace your light in an event of explosion or leaking...
-If the Xenon does blow, where would you go and find a replacement?

Id say its a good buy, without seeing the light the actual durability of the design is questionable, but it looks like a alteration of the SF 9P

Stick with it for now and read the posts of others, then make your decision...$50 can buy you all kinds of good lights, don't spend it too easily... $50 is probably more than what I have in my wallet:lolsign:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
thefish said:

BTW: there is no such thing as Xenon Luxeon, Xenon and Luxeon are 2 totally different things, makes me wonder if it is an Incan or a LED...

Hehehehe.... It's really amazing what some sellers come up with to sell their stuff... Yesterday I saw an add on a dutch site that said:

"LUXEON staat voor: XENON en LED Licht in één zaklamp!:"

For the non-dutch speaking: "Luxeon stands for Xenon and LED in one flashlight"
So my Fenix is not a luxeon light, neither is my Streamlight propoly 4aa lux. But on the other hand, my cheapie headlamp all of a sudden became a luxeon light. And I guess that the Surefire A2 is a luxeon too... :lolsign:

These people really crack me up... And these idiots even manage to sell flashlights to bigger idiots, as they offer $10 chinese lights for over 30 euros...

Anyway, I love the chinese lights. As they are often 75% of the quality at 25% of the price (if purchased from the right seller, right Dae? :)). I think they are a great way to see if a certain "type" of light is your thing, and if it is you can always upgrade to a better quality brand name item and give the cheap chinese light away as a gift to a non-flashaholic as it is probably going to be a lot better than their $2 plastic 2D lights... :)