EDC headlamp

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Am looking for a headlamp for EDC-(actually, every day wear).

Want something with throw and spill; preferably
LED configuration with two light levels.

Since I interact with a lot of people in a suit and tie kind of
environment, I need something inconspicuous...maybe a flesh
colored band.....Any ideas?

Incidently, I've experimented with the eyeglass frame mounted lights
like they sell for reading...Since I don't wear glasses, I took the lenses
out and people seemed to be distracted with my appearance.
I've also tried carrying a Mini-Mag behind my ear like a cigarette; that caused
some folks to stare, too.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Why, pray tell, would you want to wear a headlamp all day in that kind of environment?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Why would you wear that..." What kind of question is that on this forum? :)

The Petzl Zipka with the newer, brighter LED's is a good choice as it is easy to pocket and makes you look cool when you are around people in suits!

B.T.W. the people in suits really dig it when you speak to them or just otherwise walk around with the light in the strobe mode. They like the challenge of trying to keep focused on what they are saying or what you are saying when the light is flashing on and off in their eyes. If they are offended at my suggestion, please have them write me a note.

Seriously, try the Zipka. If you want something with the headband, try the PT Quad.

-Goatee

Babo

Newly Enlightened
riversedge said:
Why, pray tell, would you want to wear a headlamp all day in that kind of environment?

Because my pockets are already full.

Front right: Hankie and nasal spray.
Front left: Scout knife with awl
Back right: Billfold
Back left: A second hankie ( I have allergies)
Shirt pocket: Pocket protector with five pens,pencils,laser pointer, and two screwdrivers.

Belt: IPod, palm pilot, pager, cell phone, calculator.

So you see, a headlamp is the only way I can be prepared for
an outage. I think once people get used to the idea, headlamps will
catch on; don't you?

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Babo said:
Because my pockets are already full.
:lolsign:

...Its hard to tell if you're serious...

Have you considered a holster or belt-clip? I'd think that would be more professional than a streamlight on yer noggin. . .

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, if you are serious, then maybe try checking out the Petzl Tikka XP—

Babo

Newly Enlightened
carbine15 said:
where do you keep your inhaler?
cough *nerd* cough.

Almost forgot.
I carry my measured dose inhaler in a custom tooled
leather holster reverse "quick draw" style on my left
side. I practice in front of the mirror a lot; and can whip that
puppy out and spray it in 7/8s second. My Dad timed me.
My brother made the holster. He got a leather tooling kit for
Christmas. I've had him modify it to my specs.

Anyhow, you can see the only logical place for me to EDC my
light is strapped to my head. What I may do for a while is wear my old
miners' helmet light-(without the helmet, of course -LOL)- and comb my
hair over it so it's not too conspicous.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I'm choosing the constructive opinion road :)

May I suggest attaching a keychain light to your Pocketknife in your pocket? Or if any of the other items you currently carry have an option for a keyring light a similar setup? For example an Arc AAA would provide plenty of useful light, you can stick it on top of your ear or in your mouth if you need to go handsfree, and if you have a baseball cap etc, the clip may work with it?

Or what about wearing some kind of neckchain / hootchie cord / string around your neck with the light attached either permanently or in a quick detach setup (achieved through clever scout knots or key separating clips). Then this can be hidden from all until things go dark and you just unbutton a small section of your shirt or pull it up etc and you have LIGHT!

Just my opinion in terms of fashion, if you wear a headlamp around all day, you'll probably make the 'bluetooth' headset guy even look fashionable ;) and yes, that's a bad thing!

Just my 2 cents...

leduk

Enlightened
Apart from the PT EOS, small and versatile, I'd suggest taking a leaf from a great American, Abraham Lincoln.

Now he was just an ordinary chap until he realized he needed more and more kit to carry around. His law books, tobacco, pens, paper, sandwiches, matches, knife, snakeoil etc etc ...

Anyway this was a problem, manbags were a thing of the future, tailoring was sharp and suits were cut lean leaving litttle space for anything much at all in the pockets. Same problem as
[font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1]a great Briton, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and they both had the same solution.

Stovepipe hats. Lots of space for all those EDC things. You cut a dash in a crowd and the boardroom, your suit stays sharp and you can sit on it too. With a little imagination you could build in a solar panel and battery charging station.

Lincoln Brunel

Regards

[/size][/font]

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, nothing shouts "nerd" like wearing a suit with a headlamp. But an armband can hold a Minimag under the suit sleeve. A Versabrite can be clipped there too, or in a breast pocket so only the head shows.

firefly99

Enlightened
I would recommend an Inova 24/7 with all the accessories. Including the head strap, belt clip, etc.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
My first reaction was to suggest what Firefly is, the Inova 24/7, I have two of them and they are great! I've had one of the Inovas for maybe a year or two, and I used it very frequently and played with it alot, and i just replaced the original battery last month!

The only issue is that I don't think it is compact and/or light enough for Babo's requirement. In normal circumstances though i'm with firefly! I've got the headlamp kit and its fantastic in my opinion, and so versatile. I don't think i'd want to be wearing it for extended periods of time though.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wearing a suit and then wearing a headlamp seems funny enough to me, even if the headlmap was small, it will still feels funny. it think you should opt for some surefire light, then find a nice black pelican case to fit them it. :p

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
[font=&quot]Sarcasm is like a second language to me, so watch yourself.[/font]

Babo said:
Almost forgot.
I carry my measured dose inhaler in a custom tooled
leather holster reverse "quick draw" style on my left
side. I practice in front of the mirror a lot; and can whip that
puppy out and spray it in 7/8s second. My Dad timed me.
My brother made the holster. He got a leather tooling kit for
Christmas. I've had him modify it to my specs.

Anyhow, you can see the only logical place for me to EDC my
light is strapped to my head. What I may do for a while is wear my old
miners' helmet light-(without the helmet, of course -LOL)- and comb my
hair over it so it's not too conspicous.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second a case for some mega-light from SF. However, I recommend a Zero Halliburton aluminum briefcase. Can't get more corporate hip than that. Only the aluminum one, though. Leather or even carbon fiber ain't as stylish. Black is trite, the gold tone might be pushing it, the polished silver is very hip, but the $1500 wine case is da bomb -- wine colored (to match your wine light), with an Italian leather interior and bloodwood handle and feet. The space for the two wine bottles should hold your SF wine light and accessories nicely (like a SF Beast).

Check it out at their website (plus the blonde on the openning page is worth going there anyway). If that doesn't get you that corner office with a view, I don't know what will.

HayJab

Newly Enlightened
Forget the headlight, sounds like there may be a market for a DorkLight.

HayJab so states...