Just bought the nite ize 3 led minimag drop-in

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
And after just 5 mins the tailcap switch broke, it still functions, however once it clicks on, it turns off untill light pressure is applied to the button. Seems to me like a lose connection, but it's not good.
Any thoughts on the IQ switch? i like clickies and would rather not have to twist the head everytime i want to turn the thing on.

The beam's quite good though, nice even light, free of holes and fairly bright, it's turned a heap of useless aluminium into a solid backup light.

Cheers,
Scythe

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you take it back to the store and get another one?
Defects in manufacturing do happen.

Scythe_rr said:
And after just 5 mins the tailcap switch broke, it still functions, however once it clicks on, it turns off untill light pressure is applied to the button. Seems to me like a lose connection, but it's not good.
Any thoughts on the IQ switch? i like clickies and would rather not have to twist the head everytime i want to turn the thing on.

The beam's quite good though, nice even light, free of holes and fairly bright, it's turned a heap of useless aluminium into a solid backup light.

Cheers,
Scythe

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
I ordered it off the web, besides, it was only a £1.50 premium over the sole led upgrade.
Just a bit narked that's all.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say as I agree with you, I've bought several and haven't had any problems. They're not the greatest switches, but they do work. I believe he's referring to the Nite Ize switch, not the Ram.

I bought a Kroll switch years ago (my very first order from Brightguy, that's how long ago) ... sure wish I could find it. I know where it is, just haven't gotten a round tuit to go through the boxes.

greenLED said:
The tailcap is known to be a POS switch. Sorry.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad, you'll probably have to chalk it up to experience, since it's probably not worth sending back. I usually try to get small low-priced items like that from local vendors, but I do understand that you're in the UK and they may not be available at a local retail vendor.

Scythe_rr said:
I ordered it off the web, besides, it was only a £1.50 premium over the sole led upgrade.
Just a bit narked that's all.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like clickies... Get a Kroll Switch, very affordble, water tight, and a nice feel. Their about 5 dollars
-bobby

Rommul

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I can't say as I agree with you, I've bought several and haven't had any problems. They're not the greatest switches, but they do work. I believe he's referring to the Nite Ize switch, not the Ram.

Well he is right.

When the nite ize switch is in the on position the plastic boot flops around since its not attached to the swicth itself. The height of cheapness.

By the way I have one of these modules and the leds have stopped working probably because whenever I carry the light in my pocket I use the twist on off feature as a lockout so I think the pins have worn out somehow.

Illum

Flashaholic
Mine hasnt been a problem, except the switch seems too loose, but still retains its function, no water resistance....it has Oring but you can easily blow air through the button
and I didnt buy it to begin with...funny story:

I went to my nearest Lowes home improvement store to haul mulch for the garden, here lies this peticular pkg on the floor covered with sand and mud and chunks of fertilizer...upon removing the soaked outer package, I found what appears to be an unopened Nite-ize package...button switch, and the 3 LED module...

Lowes claims they don't have this in their inventory, but Wal-mart does, the nearest Wal-mart is 10 miles away...and costs $10 there...

It still functions in my m*g to this day...good for close up work...
once awhile you have to smash it around for the regulator to work again...but its fine for now..."OMFG BRIGHT" brighter than my 2AA no name 3LED light I got as present...

its like a free $10 gift card...

AuroraLite

Enlightened
If I remember correctly from the pictures that have RAM and NiteIze clickie(from the led upgrade combo) taken apart, they are essentially the same switch. That clickie is really soft to press on and off, and if you do like clickie, I would personally recommend the Terralux TCS-1 clickie which offers lower resistor than krolls in general and probably demands less maintainance.

All these three clickies are featured in my humble Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag modding, do feel free to check out their pictures there. :)