Whats so special about these LEDs, and which is brightest?

badinstincts

Newly Enlightened
Title pretty much sums up my question. I'd also like to get one, a bright one, preferably with spot and flood, where spot can throw really, really, really ... far...
I has to be the "Brightest" one though, I know the McLux is the best, but I've read that its not the brightest, I'm sure I wont use the ULTRA bright mode for more than 30-60seconds, so I'm not worried about overheating, but I do want the brightest with perhaps a nice 'beam'... I also dont want it to be huge, hopefully its not going to be bigger than a regular flashlight.

Well thx in advance. Please help me out here, soo much info so little lifetime left..,:candle:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
A U-bin luxIII in a mag reflector will throw the farthest. Next would be a W or X bin luxV in a mag reflector.

If you want smaller, then the AlephIII head or the 45HD.

For flood, a 5W in a small reflector works well.

My flood light is my tri-luxIII mag mod. It's large, but has decent runtime and lots of light.

cy

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
A U-bin luxIII in a mag reflector will throw the farthest. Next would be a W or X bin luxV in a mag reflector.
you would think that's true, until you put MR-X X3T next a Ubin mag mod. because MR-X's Xbin is able to find optimal focal point, Ubin's smaller die size is negated.

Not enough has been posted about mag's focal abilities, combined with raw horsepower. MR-X puts out such a huge amount of raw lumens, must be seen to believe.

compare this to multi-five watt luxeon lights, which puts out more flux yet, but are not able to collate into a sigle focal point.

Ubin combined with mag's refector does indeed give impressive throw, but hot spot at distance becomes tiny compared to an Xbin five watt.

badinstincts

Newly Enlightened
I guess I still dont have an answer.... Isn't the McLux only operating at like 1.75W (~500mA draw, batt is only 3.5V). So wouldn't a 5W be almost 3 times brighter? I know there are 7W led flashlights, I couldn't find a bigger one than that, but maybe you guys do. I know that sometimes a 5w unit will be better than a 7W, but if its true that a McLux works at 1.75W then I'm pretty sure we aren't talking about the Brightest, and Farthest throwing...

badinstincts

Newly Enlightened
naa, I need something with at least 500lux or lumens, or whatever it is. The big boy class, you know, top of the line brightness. Do these leds produce beams? If not I guess I can just stick with one that just makes a crazy amount of light with good throw...
Otherwise, I will probably need 2,
1 with a crazy @$# beam, and
1 that produces crazy @$# light...

badinstincts

Newly Enlightened
reviews wouldn't really be helpful as people do modify their flashlights. and I am now planning to do that as well. Except i'm going to use lipo batts and more powerful leds, I just gotta figure out how they work, can I directly connect batts to the leds or is there an ignition charge requirement or whatever. I think i've read that the leds can connect directly, like in maglites... Well if so then you guys can expect a 100-1000W led pretty soon. hehhe