i sometimes hate light

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well the people who live on the other side of me leave there light on 24/7 and its so bright it shines in my door.in this room my door is also my window .so since i cant afford to run ac i use to leave the door open it gets pretty cool here at night but now that darn light shines in.and i can preety much only sleep in complete darkness they must be rich i say its 100 watts at least 24/7 will be 2.4 kw per days at around 25 per day to run .i bet they have anohte ron front porch to grr i have to find away to make it not shine in my room

Sturluson

Enlightened
DON'T do the pellet gun thing, Raggie. It could get you in big trouble.

Best thing is to talk to them, nicely, about the problem and see if they'll cooperate. Most people will if approached nicely and politely.

Good luck!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i bet most people wont be bothered by it but i like complete darkness when i sleep .i even shut off my modems now and router before bed .there new people i dont even know what they look like .

Empath

Flashaholic
One post has been removed as a violation of this stated rule:

You agree, through your use of this BB, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly illegal or promotes illegal activity.

Let's keep in mind, as you reply, that threads regarding problems that are upsetting are often closed due to the suggestions of illegal solutions. If you have suggestions, keep them legal. Let's give this thread a chance to remain open.

greenLED

Flashaholic
If after you talk with your neighbors, the problem is not solved, you may try to tape some dark material onto your door, or hang something from the door frame to block the light?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie it's simple. You have a black long sleeve shirt? Cover your eyes with the sleeves and get to sleep. Soft dark material is the best. Give it a try, you will get used to it. It's more comfy than those eye covers. Yes, I used to live(sleep) in hell when I am young.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We've got a street light very near the house. I suppose it's good for security, but it sure is nice when the power's out.

Geoff

zulu45

Enlightened
I would think the little smiley was a dead giveaway, but it was a joke. I don't recommend nor condone anything illegal. On the topic of your situation, I'd suggest that you talk to your neighbor. Most likely, he will be reasonable (at least, I would hope so). If not, perhaps there is some sort of zoning law that he will be violating, in which case you can look into that, and accordingly, contact the proper authorities.

Last edited:

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too hate this. My neighbour across the street has a flood light which is pointed straight at my home. I have heavy drapes so I can't see it from inside, but I like to go out and set up my telescopes. The light just destroys the whole experience, since my night vision is ruined and I can't see any "faint fuzzies." Without the light I can, since I live at the very edge of the outmost suburb of town, and the light pollution is definitely quite low. I can't go out the other side of the house because of close houses which constrict my viewing to a tiny part of the sky, and I'd be standing on the road. :ohgeez:

Unfortunately I am not game enough to talk to them. For a start I'm not really like that. I don't like intruding on people, even when they've intruded on me with their light. But secondly, I don't think they are the type of people to take it well. I've seen the cops around at their place more than once ...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeahi aint to much of a talker maybe ill plant a huge bush or plant there the only one with such a light and it does the same to me bindi ruins my star gazeing i used to like to sit on back porch and chill

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm seriously considering moving to a farm (but not just because of that light; I'm not that compulsive). Then I'd be set!

But the tree/bush sounds like a good plan. Pity it would take so long to grow. Come to think of it, I reckon a piece of plywood that could be strapped to the fence or something might fix the stargazing problem in the meantime though.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We've got a neighbor out back that burns three outside porch lights 24/7. We have up towards 20 hours of daylight and about 4 hours of dusk type light here in Anchorage during the summer...go figure?! :thinking: :shrug: :banghead:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o bindi a dream of a island or a farm i hate noise i hate light when i wanna see the stars i kinda like being alone a lot of the time a farm will be cool i could grow tomatoes and everything and hot peppers

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'd have to echo the suggestions to blackout your windows somehow. Blinds or drapes would be the first way I'd try to go. Maybe Home Depot would have something to do that, or a specilaty store for blinds/drapes/linens, etc.

If you don't have neighbors that would get upset over the appearance, or rules against it, you could try taping something to the window(s). I've seen aluminum foil used in the back of a friends house. It's ugly but effective, and if you layer it right (thick enough) you can cut a small piece that'll fold down when you want to look out, and fold back up when you don't, or could use tape or some other method to fasten it.

As to hating light, you haven't hated until you have a night vision scope costing $$$$, and are waiting for the sun to go down so you can use it for the first time. Or when they double street lighting in your area and add it to the parks that once were dark. Then, they make subdivisions out of empty land around your friends houses on the outskirts of the city light pollution... :rant:

Edit: Okay, I see it's a door. Wheter you have a screen or not, the cloth thing is gonna interfere with circulation. Being in the humid south as you are, that's not a good thing. Buy some sort of blindfold for sleeping. Get a soft one that fits right. Be like the Hollywood sterotypes, sure, but they do work great and based on my supposed understanding of your situation, that should suit you best. Goodl luck and keep updating.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah the important thing is i only have that door in this room its a upstaires room the door leads to my back porch.this is the only axcess to the porch ya cant get to porch from putside unless ya have ladder.and i dont have windows in this roiom at all just the door and since i dont run ac i need to leave door open for the colder night air i installed a screen door.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
juts dandy lol tonight they have both lights on the upstaires and down lol

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try to hang up a "blackout" curtain on the doorway at night when you sleep. Those things work great for windows! It makes day time seem like night time indoors if you cover up windows. I'm sure it'll work for doors.