Experiences using all the Lumens of your EDC

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just wondering about real life experiences where you used the max settings of your EDC. I am wondering this because when I was searching the threads for info on some of the more high end lights, people would compare runtimes on maximum setting (e.g. HDS vs McLux comes to mind). Also, some people pay extra for and HDS XR. Can you people relay experiences where you had to use your EDC on max? So if you own an HDS, have you had to have it on for 20 to 30+ minutes or if you have a McLux, for 60 to 70+ minutes. I am specifically talking about EDC not specialized use such as search and rescue. To me, EDC means practicality so 95% of the time I use the lower settings on my HDS. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is a bad thing to spend money on extra runtime or choose one light over another based on runtimes on max (after all look at my signature line). I would simply like to hear about "real experiences" as opposed to "its good to have just in case".

Macaw

Enlightened
No. Most of my flashlights still have their original cells still in them.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the McE2S for a while on my L4 and found that I seldom used the low setting. Generally, I use my lights to see something specific, and in general I want the most amount of light I can get. That's why I don't have a McE2S anymore.

Specialized use, myself (Search and Rescue) I like to have the dimmest light I can get. I still use my old PT Matrix for a general area light, 3 LEDs to get just enough light out there to be useful. This is for tracking, though, and I want my vision to be as close to natural as possible - I'm not shining a uber-lumen thrower around, as I don't want to focus on a small spot and miss everything that's not in there. Spill is the ultimate must-have for me. I don't like to spot, and if I need to something like my Mini-HID would work great. Or the Thor ;)

Soniq7

Newly Enlightened
One time, the bong screen flew out and became lodged in the folds of my couch. Using my handy U60 on high beam, I was able to retrieve the wayward screen, succesfully minimizing downtime and without having to go to the hardware store for a suitable replacement...

Yes HDS, you may freely use my testimonial. :whistle:

HayJab

Newly Enlightened
I use rechargeable batteries so I don't worry about expending lumens and I use the hell out of them. The more light the better I say. I don't sneak up on anyone or worry about being seen at night, so why would I want to skimp on expending lumens? Bright makes right!

HayJab so states...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh.. that's funny because I enjoy driving my U2 at full power all the time. When I come home, when I'm wandering around in the dark, for every concievable use. The only time I reduce power is when I don't want to accidentally annoy other people, or when I need the extra runtime. I get 90 minutes on high, so that is not a big issue.

My HDS B60 comes on at 10 lumens and has only 20+ minutes of runtime on high so I tend to stick to that level because on that particular light I prefer runtime. I don't EDC it though, so I wouldn't be able to name a specific situation where I need all the light I can get.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAHAHAHA

ummm... i can not confirm nor deny that a U2 may have had a simular purpose LOL

Soniq7 said:
One time, the bong screen flew out and became lodged in the folds of my couch. Using my handy U60 on high beam, I was able to retrieve the wayward screen, succesfully minimizing downtime and without having to go to the hardware store for a suitable replacement...

Yes HDS, you may freely use my testimonial. :whistle:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to use max level most of the time on my multi-level lights. Even use burst on my FF3 and Jil Intelli quite often, unless it's over an extended time (they get too hot). I'd probably be more conservative if they weren't all powered by rechargables.

mdocod

Flashaholic
my EDC is an ultrafire 4 cell, with a Surefire P91 LA in it, driven by 2x17670 cells... It gets used on it's only setting, 200 lumens out the front, very frequently, and I like it that way very much... Like turning on a lamp in a room. Lights up house addresses very nicely when delivering as well. I guess this doesn't apply because it's not a LED light, and my use is generally different... Live out in the forest, so it takes a lot of incandecent lumens to light up the dark earthy colors of the yard.... A 10 lumen LED light doesn't cut it out here, so if I had a multi-setting high powered LED EDC, I would use it on high most of the time.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I didn't use rechargables I would probably use the high beam very little as I usually don't need too many lumens for my needs.

HayJab

Newly Enlightened
Well, the vast majority of us don't need all these flashlights we have either. If you use rechargeables, there is no reason to skimp on lumens. The brighter the better. I don't buy this dark adaptation stuff at all. I say make it bright with the right light. And since digital cameras have pretty much done away with film cameras, there is no need for red light anymore either as there is no film to develop.

HayJab so states...

lrp said:
If I didn't use rechargables I would probably use the high beam very little as I usually don't need too many lumens for my needs.