why do folks liter?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
do they think its ok?do you think its ok?to me it pisses me off beyond words i get so pissed i just feellike screaming im thinking to self ya lazy sob there are trash cans use em .i would vote for a law that says littering will cost a fine of 5000 bucks .even when im walking and i have a coke bottle ill walk mile after mile holding that darn bottle to i find a trash can

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to hear it raggie. I do the same. It really gets to me when people are so damn lazy they can't even walk a couple of steps to the trash. I especially hate cigarette butts. When someone drops one, I feel like just placing it in their pocket and watching it burn. :D

drizzle

Enlightened
My mom told me many years ago, "There are two kinds of people in the world; those who pick up after themselves and those who don't." That still seems true to me today. It seems to me that people that litter feel that they are entitled and that someone else will pick it up.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you guys on this. I'm slow to anger, but littering is one thing that pushes my button.

OK -- I'm going to put this out -- it's politically incorrect and will sound racist, but I don't intend it that way. I think there is a geographical/cultural proclivity to litter. In the last 10 years, I've driven in every region of the nation. Probably 40+ of the states. It is very obvious to me that the further south, the greater the litter.

Washington/Oregon - zip. Minnesota - zip. Utah/Wyoming - zip. Carolinas - some. Oklahoma/Arkansas - a little more. South Texas - we're covered up and drowning in it.

And it's the entire population - it's all color, income and social status groups.

OK, let the stone throwing begin........

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i live in ga and we have so much of it .i like to go for my walk in the park behind me and every single day i see litter no matter how far i get away from the picnic area .id be way out on the lake shore where it hard to get .with out sliping in lake or droping camera and ill get out where i want the sinset will be perfect a geese will fly by and there will be litter on the shore .i think to self how sad this is .they say even in the ocean that sea turtles are kiled cause litter the things that a 6 pack a soda comes in traps em.i just had to vent .cause it would sure be nice to go some where and not see litter

SRMC

Newly Enlightened
I agree that it seems cultural and further correllated with economic status. I live near a couple of public housing complexes and the residents walk by on their way to the market. By the time they reach our street, they're done with their junk food and soft drinks and just drop the cans and wrappers in the yards. Even on their own blocks, they drop their trash, but have pride in buying 20" chrome rims for their beat up Caprices. It is a matter of priorities, priorities which are ingrained by their parents and social circle and instill a sense of narcissism and pride which is based on bling rather than education or achievement.

SRMC

Dustin Liu

Banned
Who cares we are all going to die

An average human does not even live up to one million hours.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Dustin Liu said:

but we can always give more then we take.and i care i dont wanna see trash

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I care too. It is our responsibility to be good stewards of this earth and keeping it clean is an important part of that. Not to mention the underlying respect issue.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I watched a 40 something man drop some crap out of his car in front of a store I was going to enter. I calmly told him "you dropped something". He was about to come out of that car and try to whoop my A$$. But I guess he thought better of it. He didn't pick up his crap however...

Oh MAN it pisses me off!!!!

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dustin Liu said:

A MTBF of 1,000,000 hours sounds pretty good to me. :)

Is there a warranty on the back of your birth certificate?

I wish all the litterers lived in the south. Unfortunately it ain't so.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is cultural. BIGIRON said it pretty well. When I used to travel all the time I would sometimes find myself in a country where I noticed that it was almost impossible to frame a snapshot because of the litter.

Unfortunately the litter is just the tip of the iceberg. It's just the part you can see. IMO the unseen crap that goes with it is far creepier.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This behavior pushes my buttons also. Once witnessed some slob eating in her car at a Mc'Ds, then tossing the bag out of the window onto the ground when she was finished. I was sorely tempted to do something appropriate and tactful, although I also didn't want to wind up on the evening news.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do folks litter? Because they didn't learn any better from their parents, and/or are just downright ignorant and uncouth.

Littering gets to me to a certain degree, but what I really can't stand are the way people shop. In my opinion, this one generally has economic overtones. Ever been to a KMart or other discount(usually) store after a sale? It looks like a tornado blew through. Merchandise is strewn about the floor and in places they don't belong.

Perhaps the worst though, may be in grocery stores, where people will leave an unwanted carton of milk or other perishable item in a totally inappropriate, non-refrigerated part of the store. It probably ends up costing the consumer more in the long run, not to mention being a waste of food.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:political correctiveness/off:I have to agree with BIGIRON and SRMC! To watch the occupant of a car who lives in the rentals both sides of me dump their trash on my curb strip..... Yes, I have to agree it's "cultural"- seems to make them feel more at home! I have 5 more years to reside in Costa Mexico, CA, then it's outta here with my contribution to the tax base! :rant off:

Larry

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm going to catch some heat for this but....

I throw a banana peel out of my car window when the situation calls for it. Usually it's near the woods on my way to work. Every day after the peel is gone. I think an animal may be eating it or something..

I don't think this is bad but I do feel like a jerk letting it go. I'm always like "I bet they think that was real liter"

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny sight I saw.. or maybe not so funny.

This old twit dressed so bad he could be mistaken for a vagrant, driving his company's LPG gas delivery truck with all the bottles stacked on the back, smoking away and threw the butt out of the window. Ticked me off right away... then I noticed the bottles.

I had this bad feeling I didn't want to be right behind him in traffic for any longer than I absolutely had to....

It's one thing to smoke, it's another thing to litter, and quite a different ball game when both are being done in the company of copious quantities of potentially explosive fuel!

You guys are right.. it's attitude, upbringing and the lack of any sense of integrity or even basic personal safety - even when it comes to his OWN (he'll be the first to go if anything happens, maybe the rest of us still have a chance to run!)

Latest posts