Need advise for lubricant and lanyard....

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Got 2 new lights this month, a Streamlight TL-3 and a Fenix L1P. Good lights for size and money but I have some issues.

The Fenix L1P is ripping the rubber gasket when I put in a battery. I guess the light is poorly lubricated at the factory. What lubricant should I get for my lights and where?

I can't figure out how to attach the lanyard that comes with it to the light?? I see 2 small pre drilled holes on the tail end but the lanyard is such that it can't be threaded through the holes.

Also where can I buy a cheap lanyard for my TL-3 that would go around the neck if I wanted to?? (CHEAP).

For those who know, the only way you could attach a lanyard to the TL-3 is through the pocket clip on it. My clip is off, so I wonder if there are other possible ways to attach a lanyard to this light?

Thanks

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use 3/4" O-rings with a 1/16" wall to replace the O-Rings on the Fenix if you have already used up the ones supplied with the light.

If you can't figure out how to install the lanyard, there are step by step pictures at http://www.fenixlight.com/info/index.htm#3 that should help.

I think you answered your own question with regards to the TL-3; the lanyard attachment is on the clip. Insofar as cheap lanyards go, you could drill some holes into the body of the light and probably make your own with some monofilament fishing line or even twine, or whatever cheap material you want to use, but why would you want to skimp on a cheap lanyard on a premium priced light? Wouldn't it have made more sense to get some cheap expendable light like a Maxfire LX and then put a cheap lanyard around that?

Allnew2me

Enlightened
What I did on my TL-3 was take an O-ring and place it at eh tailcap end in the first milled groove on the body and then attach one of the $.99 Lighthound wrist lanyards to it. They are the ones with the very thin but strong cord at the end like a camera lanyard. It works great. I didn't like the clip attachment because it just seemed to get in the way.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
A commonly available and great lubricant is Pneumatic tool oil found at hardware stores. The oil is formulated to lubricate and preserve "o" rings, as these are the seals in air powered tools. It also works quite well on the threads to ease friction and lessen generated noise while turning. Although this lube is non-conductive, I use it on all my lights with no problems. Make sure you use it sparingly by first applying a drop or two to a Q-tip, and then swabbing it onto the "o" ring and threads. Over application can be quite messy, and the oil will migrate.

There are other recommended lubes sold by Lighthound and other retailers-that ARE conductive. However, they are pricey. I also believe them to be silicon based.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
mega_lumens said:
For those who know, the only way you could attach a lanyard to the TL-3 is through the pocket clip on it. My clip is off, so I wonder if there are other possible ways to attach a lanyard to this light?
Here's how I attach lanyards to Pila lights (and other lights as well), click for larger image:

Last edited:

Dodger_Man

Newly Enlightened
I have found over the years that "ABU Silicote Grease" fishing reel grease is great for flashlights and it readily available at tackle shops.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the tips.

I've checked the Fenix website link and was able to attach the lanyard.

Now I'm just going to look around for a lanyard for my TL-3. I want a lanyard that is not thin, but don't feel like paying money for a piece of string. :)