9P used in fetch

Dustin Liu

Banned
I am just wondering is it okay to play fetch with my dog using my Surefire 9P (with out batteries)? I did this before, but what are the bad side effects to me, my dog, or flashlight?

:huh2:

carrot

Flashaholic
Hmm... for one, the filament might not enjoy being jolted around repeatedly and intentionally...

And secondly, the knurling on Surefire lights, even the non-HA ones is rather aggressive, which could be bad for your dog's teeth. And then, possible cosmetic damage to the light (my cat BIT my Powerbook... left a scar on its metal frame).

If you want to play fetch with any Surefire, I recommend a G2. Better shock absorption due to the Nitrolon body, and the polymer won't be so bad for your dog's teeth.

edison

Enlightened
Every time you grab the 9P it'll be covered with dry dog slobber if you don't clean it all the time. Are Surfires are dishwasher safe?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't do this. It could break a tooth. If you must play fetch with a light, use a SF G2. Or a SF 10X :).

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see Carrot mentioned the abrasive nature of the knurling, which is very true. Try carrying it around in your mouth a bit and see how it goes.

Note that tennis balls can cause problems for dogs because the fiberglass they are covered in is very abrasive. Dogs that allowed to keep and chew a tennis ball all the time end up with very worn canines -- to the point the pulp of the tooth is exposed. Bad news.

Also, don't even use a G2 if the dog is catching it directly out of the air (as opposed to picking it up off the ground). The hard plastic could still break a tooth in that situation.

-john

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you should just use those normal 'animal safe' balls or disc. why try to harm your dog(or flashlight) when you can do things like just any other human. letting your dog play fetch with a 9p will give away your identity as a MWL.(man with lights)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd be more concerned about the dog's teeth than the light. Sticks or rubber toys seem like a better option.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others have said, an actual pet toy made for this purpose will probably be cheaper and safer for everyone involved. :)