Cops Called During Flashlight Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizzini

Newly Enlightened
Last night, while pondering if I need to buy a Blaster-1R while it's on sale, I decided to do some flashlight testing with some of my other D-cell lights (Mag3D with lambertian EverLED, Mag2D with regulated 8AA-2D, and Mag2D with KPR112 and 6AA-2D). So I turn off the lights and start firing photons down the hallway and around the bedroom to check throw, overall light output, etc. After playing for about an hour (swapping a LOP reflector and an UCL/LDF lens between flashlights) I turn the lights back on, put away my toys and ponder my purchase requirements.

As I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop the phone rings. The person calling identifies themselves as being with the Albuquerque Police Department and that one of my neighbors had reported a possible burglary in progress having seen someone inside the house with a flashlight. I explain the situation and then, following instructions, let them know what I'm wearing and leave the house through the front door with nothing in my hands.

After a brief introductory phase with the heavily armed officers outside (hands on head, face the street, spread legs for patdown search), I explain the nights experiments to one officer while two others sweep the empty house on my invitation. After deciding that my version of events checks out they depart along with at least one other officer who was securing the back of the house.

I guess I should be thankful that I've got neighbors that are keeping an eye on the neighborhood, since roaming around inside with a flashlight is kind of suspicious if you're not a flashaholic. And my hat is off the the APD officers that responded. They were polite and very, very good--I hadn't heard anything going on outside the house, and they had me covered the entire time. But next time I think I'll put an illuminated "Flashlight Test In Progress" sign up before I play in the dark again.

Vizzini

Newly Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
I have worried about that myself. At least you didn't wake up in Guantanimo Bay. :D

The only thing that really worried me what that the dispatcher on the phone ended her instructions about going outside with "so the officers don't shoot you."

g36pilot

Enlightened
Good story! You had a great attitude during the experience.

Did you make any converts? :)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder what would have happened if the electrical had gone down for some reason and when the dispatch called you let the "machine" get it while you tried to fix the breaker/fuse/whatever. . . .

-LT

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would not have gone outside. I would have just turned on all the lights and waited for them to arrive and told the dispatcher I was doing so. Sounds like your neighbor doesn't have enough to occupy his mind.
crackup.gif

Since when do burglars use flashlights anyways? :D

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the cops show up on one of my evening walks once. It was while I was testing/reviewing the "antique" leather clad flashlight. Fortunately they just thought someone might be in trouble and trying to get attention/help out in the park. We had a good chuckle and went about our respective business.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Since when do burglars use flashlights anyways? :D
Did you make sure to take off your ski mask and leave the pillowcase with the "$" sign on it inside, too? :grin2:

I'm with Infidel, I would have been as polite and calm as possible, but told them I'll just turn the lights on, they can see my license to confirm identity and address, but no you can't have a jaunt through my house without me being in there to watch.

I mean, if a house alarm goes off, the cops call you and ask for a code word or your keycode, then that's it, right? So if a neighbor, who was in the right, calls the cops on a suspision, they do all that?? Sounds like overkill, once they had you on the phone to explain yourself.
Atleast they're looking out for you.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have put all the jewelry, cash, and electronics I could fit in my pockets before going outside so the cops doing the search wouldn't get them! :)

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often consider that as well, I stroll around with my lights quite often.
I can't comment on your reaction and how you delt with the police, I have learned that some departments have their way of doing things and if you try to veer them from that path you will most likly be injured or arrested.
You were a suspect, otherwise they wouldn't have went through the house after you told them it was you..
No warrant, no entry.
I live in the other end of the spectrum, if someone was robbing my house and had a flashlight the local PD would likly say, "David must have got a new light" and keep driving, they worry when it's dark. :)

nuggett

Enlightened
I test mostly outdoors, what can be said about that? Anyway, in my small town, lights coming from my house is probably known as that "nut in the white cottage". Seems the authorities went a bit overboard though.

Vizzini

Newly Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
I can't comment on your reaction and how you delt with the police, I have learned that some departments have their way of doing things and if you try to veer them from that path you will most likly be injured or arrested.
You were a suspect, otherwise they wouldn't have went through the house after you told them it was you..
No warrant, no entry.
One thing I learned in the military is "Don't argue with the 18 year old with the machine gun." I've sort of adopted that attitude in all of my dealings with law enforcement. :)

And just for the record they entered the house after they checked my identity, I told them there was no one else inside, and that they could verify it for themselves.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story. Sounds like we should send you that H4 bulb spot lamp that Costco sells. :D That's one big mother of a light. ;)

dim

Enlightened
Hands up and subject myself to a search in front of my own home when I've broken no laws? I don't think so!
And, no, the police may not enter my home without a warrant.
No tickie. No shirtie. PERIOD
If needed, they may stay at the door while I show them my ID and answer any questions that they may have.
"If I've broken any laws, officers, arrest me. Otherwise, gentlemen, have a good evening."
Perhaps posted with a touch of bravado, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It would seem that "your friends" encroached that "fine line" as much as you permitted them too. As well intentioned as they may have been and as much as I, like most good citizens, respect GOOD officers and appreciate their services in time of need, I am, often, skeptical of the motivations, means and methods of, both, the police and officers and would not have been as gracious a host.

Asking a flashaholic (not that you did but...) if you should buy a flashlight, in this case a Blaster-1R, is like asking a crack addict if you should buy a rock. Get your fix. You know you're hurtin' and that the pain will only get worse until you get a hit of fresh lumens. Rehab is for quitters. Get the Blaster. I just BSTed a yet to be received Triton and I'm jonesing already. I think I'm getting sick.....

dim

David_Campen

Enlightened
Hands up and subject myself to a search in front of my own home when I've broken no laws? I don't think so!
And, no, the police may not enter my home without a warrant.
No tickie. No shirtie. PERIOD
If needed, they may stay at the door while I show them my ID and answer any questions that they may have.
"If I've broken any laws, officers, arrest me. Otherwise, gentlemen, have a good evening."
Perhaps posted with a touch of brovado, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It would seem that "your friends" encroached that "fine line" as much as you permitted them too. As well intentioned as they may have been and as much as I, like most good citizens, respect GOOD officers and appreciate their services in time of need, I am, often, skeptical of the motivations, means and methods of, both, the police and officers and would not have been as gracious a host.
Well said! To the dispatcher that told me to go outside; I would have told her that that wasn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.