Just about sold the farm...

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
That's right, I sold everyone of my lights except for my two favorites. Gone are my Surefire EL1, E20, A2, M3, and my McLux PD.

The PD was the most difficult to part with, but I had a very hard time EDCing it out of sure fear that I would damage it. For whatever reason, I kept misplacing it too (I don't have that problem with my other lights...), so it felt very vulnerable to me.

Since I do not consider any of my lights to be Hanger Queens, I decided to let someone else have it who didn't have the same worries about carrying it.

With that, I am down to two lights. First is my Surefire U2. No donut hole, no tailcap issues, just mint. I love the way the U2 fits my hand and I love the weight and solidness of this light. The second light that I just purchased is a Surefire L1. Again, I love the size of this light, two stage functionality, and the extended run-time available.

It feels good to have downsized my mini-collection.

Someday I will buy another A2 with red LED's, but not for a while.

P.S. I ordered the L1 from Lighthound on Monday and received it on Wednesday. A keychain LED was thown into the box. This was my second purchase from Lighthound and have had great service each time.

tattoou2

Enlightened
For one, I support your decision. In all honesty, most of us can probably get by with two or three lights. The two lights you chose to keep will serve you well for many years....and your wallet will thank you too. :)

Flashdark

Enlightened
78CJ5,

Yah done good!! After expensive experimentation, I have come to the same conclusion. I have been forced to add a couple more than your two because of a REQUIREMENT for night navigation, so I have added an L1-RD. Spectacular capability. The L1-RD on low is FAR brighter than the L1-WH on low. On high, it will leave you speechless. Great light. I also had to have a nuclear-powered heavyweight/gunlight so I chose the M3/M3T as the most versatile. Those four, the L1-WH, L1-RD, U2, M3 pretty well handle everything that I need to do with a flashlight.

Enjoy!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I share your feelings. Once you find a light that works for your needs, anyting that sits around is excess baggage. Those funds can be channeled towards other pursuits. :)

nuggett

Enlightened
I can understand consolidating the collection after playing/experimenting with several for a period of time. You have become more aware of the capabilities of various lights and settled on the ones perfect for you. I have had the same approach with guns, knives, cameras stc. Some I regret selling off, but I have kept exactly what I need.

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
I understand exactly your thinking here, I too only use two lights and one is the SF L1-WH and I love the two different output levels, great little light. Perhaps just a little too big for my pocket to be an EDC, so the L1 is my backup light.

Can't agree on not making the McLux your EDC but hey, variety is the spice of life.

Glad your happy being a minimalist.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two lights I use daily are the EDCs, a FF3 on the keys and a Med 2AA in a holster for work. The nFlex LuxV is for big jobs, when variable light is needed or (head removed) a large flood light. Those three lights are the ones I use in a normal week.

The Peak/Arc red/UV and Pacific AA/AAA lights are for deployments. Add the three above to the Pacifics for frequent power failures to light up the house for my family. My wife EDCs the Matterhorn on her keychain and keeps a Kilamanjaro AA in her purse. My family acknowledges my addiction and takes the lights I don't need.

The MM L1P is a bicycle helmet light and upcoming BAM 400 lumen Mag will be a frame mounted bike light. I'll be picking up some Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon 4AA lights to mount to my families bicycles when the fall darkness comes. The Aurora 2AA Jupiter lights that rest on the bicycles now will be used in my son's rooms when the lights go out (common in Turkey)

Once the Pacific stainless steel AAA/AA/2xAAA arrives for power failures/deployments, the BAM bike light project is complete and SL PP Lux 4AA lights are installed on my families bikes... I will be content. Will my flashaholism be over when all needs are met in September? Generally speaking yes! :) The nFlex LuxV, BAM Mag, MillerMods L1P and FF3 will always be in the mood to upgrade the LED so the modders forum will be my place to be.

So close to contentment... so close!

Robban

Enlightened
I've been thinking of selling a few of my lights for quite some time now. But... I just can't bring myself to do it :( Between my EDC the Q3, my L4 and Mag85 I pretty much cover anything I would need a light for. Did that stop me from ordering a "5inch wonder" a few days ago, no. I suck :p

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good thread 78CJ5.

I have often thought about simplifing. I have about a dozen "highend" lights. Mostly Surefires and Arcs. I could be happy with just an Arc AAA, E2O, L2, and Tikka+. Although I would miss my 9P, KL3...

Awww who am I kidding?! I'm not going to sell any of my babies! NO-NO-NO!!! I'm glad it works for you. I'm happy in denial...

kelmo

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to think, when I sell a light, "Maybe I should never have bought it in the first place". It's always a disappointment when the light doesn't become a lifetime keeper, but then again, how many ever do become that? Probably could name my E1e+KL1, U2, C2/SRTH system, Arc AAA, L4, HDS B60 and a couple of ROPs.

There are times when stuff looks too good to pass up but then somehow lacks that magical X factor when you handle it. Then I'm worried I'll miss them when they're gone.

I guess I would feel better if I knew that there will always be an opportunity to purchase something nicer down the road...

Galiphrey

Enlightened
78CJ5,

Congrats! It must have taken some courage to part with those. I can relate; I'm trying to pare down and optimize, too (but so far I've proven not very good at doing that...) Maybe this thread can serve as an inspiration. One has to decide which side of the "collector vs. user" line they stand, and it makes sense that if you're not a collector to optimize down to what is most useful.