Variable brightness lights: A fine idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

HayJab

Newly Enlightened
Variable brightness lights seem to be popular these days. I don't understand why. I suspect it's just a trend thing. Variable brightness capability, besides being useless, adds both cost and complexity to lights.

Brightness is what you should be looking for in a light. Why would you want a light that's only partially as bright as it could be? Do you have the need to sneak up on others in the dark or somehow avoid detection and therefore need a low light level – I suspect not. Do you need to conserve lumens in order to save money? This is a silly question since we now have very reliable rechargeable batteries and lumen cost is not a factor.

So, why would one want a light that boasts of a feature set allowing the light to be run at lesser brightness than it's capable of? Whacky huh!

And remember, life is too short to carry an ugly light.

HayJab so states...

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Variable brightness lights: A dumb idea

HayJab,

Guess you haven't tried to use a USL to read, have you?:)

I like variable brightness lights because many tasks don't need a really bright light. At night, using a variable brightness light allows me to keep reasonable night vision, and still accomplish what I need to do.

Bill

flashlife

Enlightened

High for max lumens, when you need'em.
Low for max runtime, when you need it.

HayJab

Newly Enlightened

Bwaites, if you have a good light you don't need this over hyped night vision people speak of. A bright light does away with the night!

HayJab so states...

bwaites said:
At night, using a variable brightness light allows me to keep reasonable night vision, and still accomplish what I need to do.

Bill

HayJab

Newly Enlightened

Low? Why? As I've said, with rechargeable batteries there is no need to conserve lumens. High is the way to go all the time.

HayJab so states...

flashlife said:
Low for max runtime, when you need it.

legtu

Enlightened

A few things to try... ;)

- use a bright light on dark adapted eyes
- read/walk around the house with bright lights
- use a bright, power-hungry light on looong outages

Variable brightness allows me to choose an appropiate level depending on current condition. It's like bringing along multiple lights. :)

HayJab

Newly Enlightened

Multiple lights is the way to go not a variable brightness light. Multiple lights provide you with redundancy. A variable brightness light adds cost to the light and due to complexity, it's inherently less reliable.

HayJab so states...

legtu said:
Variable brightness allows me to choose an appropiate level depending on current condition. It's like bringing along multiple lights. :)

HayJab

Newly Enlightened

Now that's a bit silly. But trubine engines run at full RPM all the time.

HayJab so states...

Rando said:
He's got a point. I always drive my car at full throttle, too.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

HayJab said:
Low? Why? As I've said, with rechargeable batteries there is no need to conserve lumens. High is the way to go all the time.

HayJab so states...

I feel the same way you do. Just carry extra rechargeable's and put them in when the other batteries die down.

I don't care for a 2 postion switch.

I like to run my lights at full blast.

HayJab

Newly Enlightened

Your a wise fellow ernsanada. That's getting your money's worth and maximizing your tool's capability!

ernsanada said:

Melven

Newly Enlightened

ernsanada said:
I feel the same way you do. Just carry extra rechargeable's and put them in when the other batteries die down.

I don't care for a 2 postion switch.

On the other hand I prefer a light that I can use on dim, and then occasionally run at full blast when I need it. Most of my uses don't need full brightness, therefore a 2 level flashlight is ideal for me.

FirstDsent

Enlightened

Dear Hand Job,

Welcome to CPF
This forum reflects the preferences of its users. I am glad you are confident of yours. It has only been in the last few years that variable brightness lights have been mainstream. Incandsecent lights aren't well suited to VB. LEDs are extremely well suited to this. Their runtime also benefits from thier efficiency even if it isn't important to you. I am surprised that you like LEDs due to their relatively low lumen output compared to inandescent lights. Consequently, I would think that your interest would be in the VERY bright incandescent lights and hotwire mods. You can use some of the money you save on batteries to buy bulbs when they blow. When LEDs can produce hundreds of lumens with single emitters, you may be happier with LEDs. There will still be plenty of single level lights to choose from. I will look forward to reading your posts in the incandsecent forum.

Bernie

hivoltage

Enlightened

Well...personally I like variable brightness lights.......so I can sneak up on people!!!

HayJab

Newly Enlightened

hivoltage said:
Well...personally I like variable brightness lights.......so I can sneak up on people!!!

Hivoltage, you have provided a good rationale for a variable brightness light. But, I'll bet that once you have surprised them, you hit them with full power, maximum brightness!

HayJab so states...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

Variable works for me and allows the light to be useful for a number of tasks from close-up inspection or at greater distances.

I don't like it when I'm sleeping and the wife would come into the room using the 60+ lumen light...the brightness would wake me up. With a Dorcy AAA or variable, she clicks to what is appropriate.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will have to disagree, having 1 multiple brightness light is like having multiple lights at the same time. When my eyes are dark adjusted, the lowest setting on most of my lights is still too bright, but better than if they only had one max brightness, then it would take some 10 minutes for my eyes to readjust to the dark, but then again everyone is different so if a single brightness light is what you prefer then you will probably save some money that you would otherwise spend on the electronics needed for a multiple brightness light.
Turbine engines only run full speed some of the time(i.e. commercial jet), for take-off(full thrust) and for landing(reverse thrust). For cruising when at altitude they run approx. 65% RPM for fuel efficency(the tachometer of a tubine engine is in percentage of RPM or percentage of power, usually between 0% and 110% and thats because the actual RPM's is a number in the 10's of thousands and would make much sence, a pilot needs things simple so 0% to 110% is easier to decifer at a glance). Just my 2 cents worth of bs.

lightplay22

Enlightened

The HDS EDC and the A2 are very handy because of the different light levels available. I don't like a bright light of any kind when I wake up from sleep or when making a close inspection of something in tight quarters.

Multi-level lights are convenient for most of what I use a flashlight for.

Rechargeables are not to good for extended run times in my experience. (incandesent)

YMMV

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 4 variable brightness lights and 4, 2 position switch lights.

I never have run the lights on low or found a situation I need to run the light on low.

I've had my lights for around 4 years.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try checking on a sleeping child with a 100 or 500 lumen light. They won't be sleeping after that!

Try picking out clothes from the closet in the morning without waking your wife with only a bright light.

My MillerMods 3-level L0P is just the light for me. Dim when I needed it. Brighter or brighter still when I need it.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.