Bad clickie. Huge Donut. One guess?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
That's right... I just got my brand spankin' new U2 in the mail (after monitoring the "track shipment" on UPS like a madman), and clicked it on, and.... (drum roll)... NOTHING!!! after a few clicks, finally light flickered on and off. And then nothing. Finally it stayed on. And... you get the picture.

So the tailcap doesn't really work well. At all.

And then the donut - and I've seen pictures of it, and I am OK with the fact that they have a donut, but this is a TERRIBLE one!!! You can see it take shape at 3 feet away from any surface, and it gets really bad any further than that.

So do I contact Surefire now, or OpticsHQ (where I bought it from)?? I don't want to get another one that's this BAD!!!

On a side note, I did get a chance to stare into the light... which wasn't a good idea, although I love it! It's way smaller than the pictures make it out to look, and feels great in my hands... now only if it worked!

Let me know what you guys think. Again.
John

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
same issue here. I emailed them and they just said call them and they will make it good. Even the donut hole that most claim they do not warrenty...

their # is 800-828-8809

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yup, call SF... and grab a bag (or a cartload, rather) of :popcorn: It'll take a bit to get the light back.

jch79

Not cool - I bought this for a trip to Mexico at the end of June - I'd better get a PERFECT one back!!!

jch79

Does anyone else have a suggestion to get a replacement U2 in my hands before I leave (June 21st)??
Thanks,
John

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the end of a knife blade (or something similar) and carefully bend up the 4 tabs in tail so that they make contact (or better contact) with the light body. This solved my tailswitch issue, and is a common fix. Those tabs are completely flat from the factory (in my experience) and make little or no contact with the body. Seems like SF would figure this one out.

Won't help with the donut tho. :shrug:

cheers

LightAddict

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your issue,but join the club.I just got my U2 back yesterday (5-10-06) SF had it in their hands since 1-27-06. I received my same tailcap and body,but a new head. This is the third U2 I have returned.Smudges,doughnuts,fingerprints under lens and on reflector,tight twitchy selector ring,bad tailcaps......this one has none of that except the dark spot in the middle.so sad.I really want to like this light.The new one seems brighter but that damn doughnut!!!!!!My L5 has no doughnut and its a 5 watter.I sure hope you have better luck than me.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try and return it to the place you bought it from. The wait will be less and you may have a chance to discuss the problems with the company and have them check out the replacement.

The store may also have better luck in getting a replacement from Surefire.

My U2 was at Surefire for about 10 weeks before I got my replacement and it still has a dark spot in the beam but it is not as bad as it was before. Also, the tint if whiter at all levels whereas the other U2 that I sent back had a green tint at the lower levels.

-Goatee

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if some of these issue's would go away if one disgruntled buyer walked in to SF and grabbed the QC boss, lay his hand down on a table and
gave it a few wack's from the U2 bezel. :grin2: VDG

P.S. this humor, a joke. please take it as so....

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered mine from steven at TacticalSupply.com, he said he would check a few of them for a good tint, what a nice guy! I hear either great things about this light, or horror stories. I remember the nice days when i thought the Q3 was way to expensive, and i couldnt see spending 30 dollars on a little flashlight. Well, lets hope i have good luck, sorry for your experience. SO far, with surefire, they replaced an E1L tailcap really quick, and right now my KL4 head is their, because it was really green :thumbsdow , not just a little, but pretty bad. I wonder when im going to get that one back. Soon i hope, but i just sent it out yesterday.

-bobby

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
$270 for a light that commonly has multiple issues?? This kills me that a light so prone to having problems is so popular. I can build and sell a light that'll spank the brightness of a U2 for less than half the cost. What gives with the Surefire name? Aren't there better alternatives?

jch79

I spoke with Surefire, and they are sending me a replacement tailcap... this will make the flashlight workable (which is always a good thing).

As for the donut - I'm going to wait until I'm back from Mexico, and they'll replace it after that, although - and this is interesting - he said that this is becoming such an issue that it might take a while for them to find one without the donut hole in it... hmph.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
SureFire should just change the name of the U2 to U-SUX, and claim it is a new DARPA light with variable output -in the same beam! If you need to read a map, move the dim ring over the map. If you want to temporarily blind a circle of assailants, just aim for the center of the group! Then they can charge $450 for it and make up for some of their warranty losses from the "old U2" program. Because it is a SureFire, and since more expensive = better, CPFers will post all kinds of threads salivating in anticipation of thier release and pre-order dozens of them.

Originally Posted by Gullible1:
Hey, I'm new here and I want to buy my first SureFire light. I heard that SureFire is making a U-SUX that is better than the U2. I am really excited about this light! I just pre-ordered one. I am skipping a semester at college so I can afford it. I can't wait to get it. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it brighter than the Fenix? I have read hundreds of posts about horrible quality problems with this light. Are there any spare parts I should order so I can fix it as soon as it gets here? Should I call them now and complain so I can reserve my place in the warranty que? I'm actually thinking of buying two of them so I can use one while the other one is in the shop, then switch them. Wow, my first SureFire!
-G1

I appologize in advance,
Bernie

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize I'll be flamed like crazy for saying this, but I think a large number of Surefire buyers (I don't mean anyone in particular, so don't get all insulted) are complete suckers. Half the people out there realize that SF's been selling lights with horrible QC and design problems for months and months, yet still they fork over the money on a gamble. There's nothing special or mystical about a Surefire LED light that makes crappy quality OK. It's not like rare gemstones that come with acceptable numbers of flaws. It's a man-made object (horrifically overpriced, IMHO) produced by a company with 20 years of experience making this stuff. Get over it. Do you know one reason the quality is probably still so bad? Because there are people lining up to stuff $20 bills into SF's G-string. What's the incentive to correct things right now? Just keep making them with current methods and quality, no expensive assembly-line rework needed. Just accept returns on the 1 in 3 someone sends back, and save costs by having the janitor fix it three months from now. Heck, it's working for them without much public outrage.

Of course the majority of the blame is hardly on the customer. You know what? The U2 and all the other high-tech Surefires are just flashlights, regardless of what features they have they're flashlights. If you're charging almost $300 for a flashlight it's totally unforgivable that it's not absolutely perfect. Forget quality control--at the lever they're working at their quality assurance (things being made with defects in the first place) should take care of things in the first place. Surefire should be ashamed that they're shipping numbers of flashlights with serious problems.

And this is just a pet peeve of mine, but I'm _sure_ they're making a boatload of money on everything they sell, even with the heavy R&D costs. Government contracts alone must be through the roof given all the troops deployed. I sometimes wonder if Surefire making so many one-off prototypes and employee toys that have no chance of making it into production in counter productive. I mean, in the normal progression of manufacturing a 6P should be dirt cheap these days. I could make them in my basement they're so simple.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods said:
$270 for a light that commonly has multiple issues?? This kills me that a light so prone to having problems is so popular. I can build and sell a light that'll spank the brightness of a U2 for less than half the cost. What gives with the Surefire name? Aren't there better alternatives?

[climbs up on soapbox]

Took the words right outta my mouth!! I can't, for the life of me, figure why so many people keep buying these things knowing full well about all of the issues and then fly off the handle when they get a crappy one.:ohgeez:

If people would quit buying SF's known crappy stuff, maybe they'd get the message and fix things.

:shrug: I just don't get it.

[steps down off soapbox]

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested if someone can deliver these specs. Serious. Not joking. If there is an existing light on CPF, also please suggest that to me if I've missed it.

- Black HA (easy)
- Pyrex/UCL/Borofloat lens (easy). make it nice and thick
- Reflector with nice mix of spill and flood out to 50 yards. Should have cone shaped beam, and a nice cone at that
- Click switch (don't like twisties)
- 18650 compatible (no secret about my liking for this cell)
- Must run on primaries. 2xCR123 substitutes straight in for 1x18650.
- Variable power with selector ring - I DON'T like multi-click UIs, I've owned two and reviewed one (three total) and I don't like them
- Bezel-down pocket clip
- LuxV or equivalent delivering 100+ lumens
- Full current regulation (PWM is for incans)
- Water resistant to the point where I can dunk it. IPX7 (1 meter, 30 minutes) like my Garmin would be good.
- Keep it under 5.5" and 6 oz. A bit more than that and it's too fat

~$200 would be good. Can be flexible. PM me when it's ready for review, I agree to handle it nicely and send it back after it is done. (However I reserve the right to write whatever I like about it, although I will try to be fair and honest. Same with all my other reviews.) Likely to purchase if I like it ;)

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
The funny thing is, I don't think SureFire has any competition. SureFire has been commanding the high-end, over-spec'd market since they began mass manufacturing. The fit and (basic) function of their incandescent line exceeds what the vast majority of thier consumers need. SureFire tries to make thier lights as dependable as the weaponry that they are intended to accompany in law enforcement and military applications. That is the closest anology I can think of and I think it is appropriate for this DOD supplier.

Nevertheless, there are tens of thousands of consumers willing to pay top dollar for what they percieve as "the best" even if they don't need the best.

I acknowledge that there are thousands of people in first-tier, safety-critical jobs who's life depends on their equpment working right every time. I always advocate that they buy most dependable, good performing light they can get. There's almost nowhere else for them to go but SureFire. However, if you were a law enforcement officer, or a Marine, would this include the U2 Ultra? Would you trust a firearm with a quality record like the U2 Ultra? Yet even informed consumers like us on CPF, having read dozens of posts about horrible defects, and 4-month warranty claims are still clamoring to buy that crappy light. I understand it, yet I'm still baffled.

Apparently, like fine art, the value of a SureFire light in the eyes of the second-tier consumer is abstract, and not connected with the actual utility of the item. I call it the SureFire effect.

That's why the next best maker is not willing to incur the costs of making a product with such strict tolerances. A large manufacturer without the SureFire name could not sell even a better product for the same or lower price. They would not be perceived as equal or better because they don't have the reputation and recognition of SureFire. They would be considered way overpriced, and anybody with more money than brains would impulsively buy the SF instead.

Wolf Eyes, G&P, and others make lights with similar or better performance, but not the over-spec'd build quality. Nevertheless, consumers will buy a lesser performing SureFire light for way more money just to get additional quality that they don't really need. It's the SureFire effect. It's the Coach purse, the Rolex watch, -a status symbol?

I set my 10 year old, $20 timex watch to the atomic clock at the US Naval Observatory. It has been dead-nuts accurate for over three months now. I could have paid $1500 for a Rolex, but it couldn't perform any better.

Broken filaments aside, I have never had a MagLite fail on me, -ever. Not to say that MagLites are as high quality as SureFire, far from it, but a $270 light would not have served me any better because my $20 light hasn't failed. Some people's have, but not mine. I trust it completely. From a reliability standpoint (not beam quality) why would I pay $270 for a better built light? Vanity?

I am not especially well-off, and I'm sure my attitude would be a little different if I could afford any light I want, but I am forced to be a lot more practical. I'm a sucker for tools. I will buy top quality tools for applications where I use them professionally. I guess that makes me a tier-one tool user, but I wouldn't have a $15000 cabinet full of Snap-On tools if I only tinkered from time to time unless money were no object. And then, I would be subject to the criticism of someone like me.

I admire SureFire lights, -I really do. But I don't anticipate ever buying one, because I can get more performance with adequate reliability for far, far less money.

Bernie

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Originaly Posted by KevinL:
I'd be interested if someone can deliver these specs. Serious. Not joking. If there is an existing light on CPF, also please suggest that to me if I've missed it.
I've struggled wth this question. There isn't another light with the features of the U2 available to my knowledge. However if there were a cheap chinese knock-off for $30 you wouldn't choose it over the U2 even if it came with a reliable clickie, good beam, good tint, and clean reflector.

The fact is, the U2 doesn't live up to its promise. It is packed with great features, it's made by the premier maker, but it is a piece of crap. If you got a "good one" (one with a tolerable level of defects) that doesn't mean it's not a piece of crap.

Read all the threads about the <$30 Golston 7 Watt. There is very little discussion of defects, and nobody posts just to say they got a "good one". They're almost all good. I believe that if you had a Golston poll thread running at the same time as the U2 poll thread, you would see a much, much higher satisfaction rating for the cheap light.

Bernie

Edit: I want to soften the "piece of crap" statements. This light is a brilliant concept. As explained, I don't think there is another light like it. I would love to have a <$150 light just like it. I just think this light, despite good intentions is poorly executed. Most of all, I just cant understand why SureFire continues to ship them with KNOWN DEFECTS. The last person to handle each light before it is packaged can easily tell the emitter tint, see dust and HAIR in the reflector, and check for bad donuts. If they were produced under an ISO or QS certified quality system, they would fail audits on their shipped defect issue and lose their certification. A responsible manufacturer would stop production until the fairly simple problems could be fixed. Among these, FOD (foreign object damage/debris) in the bezel is inconceiveable. It is so simple to assemble something without sealing FOD in it. I have personally worked with this issue in Aerospace compoosites. There is just no excuse for continuing quality issues.

Bernie

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Expectations are different too. I would be very much more forgiving of a cheap light. A $0.99 keychain light dies - I bin it without a thought. (I see hundreds of them, and I weed the DOAs, they are there believe me)

I needed that U2's featureset, which happens to be exactly what I want, and I trust Surefire to do the reliability testing and engineering that doesn't go into inexpensive $30 lights. I've modded lights and there are many occasions where I don't even trust myself. I don't know where they've cut corners.

I use the light at work, and in life, and I find it's worth it for me. Maybe I was lucky, or an early adopter. I paid full retail price and I got one that is not just good - it's perfect. Down to the LED tint and performance, as I mentioned early in its life, I suspect I may have a coveted X-bin because comparisons to my overdriven W-bins, ridiculously overdriven V-bins, and triple-Lux3 lights show that the U2 can beat all of them except the triple Lux3, and then it's very close. I could be tremendously lucky - I think I am. It works for me. I understand though, that others have different requirements and may prefer different solutions.. again, what works for them. I can respect that :)

Another lesson I learned in my years in the technology sector - being stubborn, pigheaded, and fiercely brand loyal has resulted in less headaches over the long term and I sleep better at night. It flies in the face of logic and reason but those are artificial constraints and poor models of this unfortunate existence which is hardly logical or reasonable at all.. :shrug:

Still, as I've mentioned, I am interested if someone else comes out with a light and the featureset I need.. you would definitely have my attention.