1 Million USD or 100,000 USD?

Dustin Liu

Banned
If someone comes up to you in the street and say "I have 1 million dollars in my pocket and in my other pocket have 100,000 dollars. You can take the 100,000 dollars 100% guarantee or take a 50% to get the 1 million dollars (cannot have both)." What option would a Flashaholic take?

:huh2:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that much I would drag him around the corner and take both :), He is obviously up to something anyways..

Did I just say that out loud? :grin2:

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
I've heard said that a rich man will turn one dollar into two.
With wisdom, patience and some luck, a rich man will turn $100,000 into $1million.

As far as choosing...Are you familiar with the tale of the "The Lady Or The Tiger?"?

dim

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's got a million bucks in his pocket, it should be pretty obvious which pocket has it. FFS, I've got 15 $1 bills in my wallet and it won't stay closed.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd pull out my tactical Surefire KL4, blind the intruder, smack him with the TID and then grab a cool mill and a tenth..

And if you ask for the million and get the wrong pocket, wouldn't you still get a hundred grand??

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly why "Deal or No Deal" is such a popular show. No test of knowledge or strategy... just pure unvarnished greed and blind luck so it's fun to watch.

Arkayne

Enlightened
I'd take the 100k, go buy my Gladius, go home and order a pizza, sit my *** down on the couch and watch Star Trek:TNG reruns all day. :) And bank it.

Luna

Enlightened
I'm married so I'd take the million at 50% risk. Why? I'm pretty sure that my wife would spend the 100k (taking taxes into account) before I saw any :)

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Pydpiper say. :grin2:
Pydpiper said:
For that much I would drag him around the corner and take both :), He is obviously up to something anyways..

Did I just say that out loud? :grin2:

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd take the shot at 1M. 100k (realistically 60k after taxes) could buy some pretty nice flashlights and computer upgrades but other than that my life would be about like it is now. I'd still be in a crummy apartment doing about the same kind of work in order to not burn through the 60k too fast. For that matter, I could probably sock away 60k from salary over a reasonable amount of time (couple years maybe) if I got a full time tech gig and spent carefully (which I already do). With a million, I could buy a nice little house someplace peaceful even in this expensive area, something completely impossible with 100k.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Another way to put it:
Would you want a doctor who can give you 10 years guaranteed good life or a 50% chance of dead today?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
a99raptors said:
Another way to put it:
Would you want a doctor who can give you 10 years guaranteed good life or a 50% chance of dead today?

That would sound like a threat, I would take him around the corner too. :grin2: I could use some of my 1,100,000 I got from the first guy to get a good lawyer.