virus removal

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do you re move a virus in quarantine, it says no treatment available, located in document and settings, how do i get there to manually deleate it?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of my computers has the trojan virus for the second time.... wonderful, now i get to delete the hard drive.

-David

Dustin Liu

Banned
To remove a virus from your computer, you have to reformat your entire C drive. You are FUNKED :goodjob:

shaman

Newly Enlightened
You don't have to format/fdisk/low level format/wipe your hard drive to get rid of a virus. You may have to "turn off"/disable/override your antivirus so that you can delete the file in question. Some antivirus application will not let you simply turn it off, because the actual scanning engine is resident in memory after the program has been terminated. That being said you may have to reboot once you have told it not to start up on next reboot.

With the above stated... I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO ANY OF THE ABOVE. The above can actually "loosen the reigns" so to speak on a virus that has been under control. Thus, by telling the antivirus to not load on reboot, you could be allow the virus to execute unprohibited... so you would be at the mercy of the virus and it's payload. As long as the virus is under quarantine, you can breathe a slight sigh of relief because the antivirus (hopefully) did what it was supposed to do. That being that it caught and contained the virus before the virus had a chance to execute.

First, make sure you got good backups!!!
Secondly, I would recommend emailing the support staff for your antivirus to request their recommended way/means of removing the virus in question. By going this route you will at least be following your vendors (antivirus company) way of doing things, which in many situations is the best.

I would also suggest that you make sure you have the latest updates for your particular brand of antivirus (both the engine and the signatures) as well as the program's service packs, hot fixes, or updates.

A quick search for "?????? removal" or "?????? virus removal" (where ?????? is the name of the virus) at the antivirus company's support/knowledge base or at google will tell vast amounts as well.

I have removed/deleted/cleaned quite a few viruses but I would not recommend anyone doing so (by themselves) without...
1) Them having a deep understanding of their PC, their software, the virus in question (it's scope/payload/means of propagation/everything), and backups.
2) Them accepting that by doing so they could loose everything by them doing it on their own. It would be all them.

Viruses are nothing to laugh at. Some can be as simple and annoying as to fill words into a word document or the like. Others can infect all types of a certain file type on your PC or mail everyone. The worst can log your keystrokes and mail them... encrypt your hard drive... or install backdoors...
Not trying to scare here, just inform. Quarantine is a good thing though annoying. Tis best to play it safe until you know everything you can. Best to know thy enemy before attacking from the front.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Shaman

Last edited:

hquan

Enlightened
Many of the antivirus vendors have free online removal tools created for various specific viruses. I have been fortunate that my antivirus has caught everything that has tried to slip through (not to mention the fact that I don't open emails from people that I don't know, nor do I open attachments... etc.). Good luck.

legtu

Enlightened
Which anti-virus do you use? Most of them have the option of deleting quarantined items from their main interface.