Battery type vs. performance

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I'll probably get slammed for this question. But, since it's only my 2nd post and I did try a search first......

I have two identical MiniMag's (AA). I have put the Lambda Light's SMJLED (kits) in both. I bought a NiMh charger (Tenergy) which came with some AA's.

Here's the question:

I run one of the MiniMag's with a regular Duracell Alkaline and it's nice and bright. In the other MiniMag with a newly charged NiMh (2300 mAh), the output is at least 1/3rd less than the alkaline.

Is this normal performance and typical of NiMh vs. alkaline? Or, are the NiMh's that came with the charger possibly a bit cheezy.

I know there's probably a ton of science behind the answer and I will be happy for any info, or links to info.

Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

We have a forum for questions and discussion on batteries. I've moved this thread here because members who are expert on batteries are more likely to spot your thread here compared to elsewhere on CPF.

Best regards,
Alastair

legtu

Enlightened
NiMH's are generally ~1.4v, fresh off the charger. Wait a few hours and they'll drop off to around ~1.3v(unloaded) and ~1.2v, when loaded.

Alkalines on the other hand, are around ~1.5v.

Short answer: Yup, it's normal.

Don't try using 'em lithiums with the SMJLED's, it'll destroy them quick. :)