Mini review: Modded PT-20 / LI-ion with pics

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

After reading about a PT-20 modded by lexina to use li-ions with a 5 cell bulb, I wanted to try it out too so I ordered the light and 2 x 14500 protected li-ion, all for about $15.

The light looks very rugged, waterproof to 2000 feet!!!! and has a textured plastic reflector, If I use a higher amp bulb I fear that the reflector will melt, I did try a 6 cell Xenonstar on it and the output was impresive but decided to go for a lower bulb.

This thing is small! I like it

here are the pics

The light measures about 4 inches,

Against several known flashligths and a standard unit of measure

Pic of reflector,it is made of plastic and its textured

It has a hole to put the included lanyard,

How it fits in the hand

The beam is a bit brighter than a E2e, if The SF is rated at 60 lumens, I would say this one is about 65-70 lumens, I am using a no name 6v krypton bulb running at .65 amp so the runtime with 750ma li-ion should be about 1 hour.

12 ft. beamshot, E2e 60lumen bulb on the left PT-20 with li-ions on the right 6v /.65 ma krypton bulb, it's just a bit brighter. the beam is somewhat oval.

http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hid0017pr.jpg
Hope you liked the mini review,

AlexGT

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT said:
...I ordered the light and 2 x 14500 protected li-ion, all for about $15...
Can you tell us where you got the components and the light? The light seems to cost $15 shipped by itself these days, and protected 14500s are about $10 each.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

Here are the requested pics

The light I bought it for $5.xx from a link that a member supplied in the other thread about the PT-20, the protected li-ions bought them for $5 each at e-lectronics.net, he is a dealer here in CPF

HTH
AlexGT

paulr

Flashaholic
I wonder if the bulb will burn out pretty fast. Freshly charged li ions are around 4.2 volts each.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex,

This is an awesome setup! Does the bulb drop right in, or do you need to mod anything? If it is an easy drop in I am definetly going to make one myself. Can you post the links as to where I should buy the light and batteries and bulb? Thanks alot for your help! :)

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool little mod. I love my PT Tec-20s. I have a couple of them running SMJLED-PR2 bulbs, but I am going to have to try this setup out.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice setup with decent runtime!

I love having a shortie type, waterproof, incan light to go along with the mix for cases of heavy mist/fog and wet environments. This PT-20 looks like a very ideal and portable solution!! :D

Thanks for posting this.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a piece of cake to do, just change the bulb, put the batteries and enjoy, no magnets needed either!

AlexGT

adirondackdestroyer said:
Alex,

This is an awesome setup! Does the bulb drop right in, or do you need to mod anything? If it is an easy drop in I am definetly going to make one myself. Can you post the links as to where I should buy the light and batteries and bulb? Thanks alot for your help! :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! Where did you buy the bulb though? This set up can be run without any damage to the stock reflector/lens, right?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulbs you find it at your local walmart, sams, kroger, Academy, bass pro, Gander Mountain, etc.

As far as I have used it, it has not damaged anything, but don't put a very high output bulb in it.

AlexGT

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT said:
The bulbs you find it at your local walmart, sams, kroger, Academy, bass pro, Gander Mountain, etc.

As far as I have used it, it has not damaged anything, but don't put a very high output bulb in it.

AlexGT

Ok, great. You used the 5 cell Xenonstar, right?

This setup seems awesome and I can't believe more people aren't going crazy over it!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...on the right 6v /.65 ma krypton bulb..."

On first post, Lexina did a 5 cell Krypton Star mod that he says has been working fine, I did try the 6 cell xenonstar, and the 5 cell xenonstar but they run too hot IMO (the 5 cell seems to run better than the 6 cell), I settled on the 6v .65 amp K-12, I think it's being overdriven just a bit, because it doesn't have that angry white color. but it is very white, and overpowers the E2e 60 lumen lamp with more throw too.

AlexGT

lexina

Enlightened
Now, how did I manage to miss this thread? Those are Great pics, Alex.

Alex (yup, that's my name too!) :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the light and the batteries from the sites you listed. Under $24 shipped for both the light and batteries. I'll buy the bulb from Walmart when the stuff gets here, and I'll report back when I get it all put together and ready to rock!

Alex, thanks alot for your help ! :)