What things are you surprised people DON'T have?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this is kind of an odd thought that's been rattling around in my head. What kinds of stuff are you surprised most people don't have? I mean normal, everyday things, not special interest stuff (like metal lathes, high-end flashlights, etc) or things you might think people "should" have (plasma TV, Benchmade knives, whatever.)

Off the top of my head of things I've found a lot of friends or clients frequently don't have:

Working flashlight
Battery tester (and batteries) or multimeter
Basic tools (hammer, screwdrivers, etc)
Indelible ink markers
Headphones, maybe
Fire extinguisher
Pocket knife and/or utility knife
Oil
Adhesive tape
First aid supplies
Spare cables or cords for anything
Spare light bulbs

So, anyone else?

TorchMan

Enlightened
Fire extinguisers and smoke detectors in the home, as well as carbon monoxide detectors. Insurance on their automobiles or homes. Batteries.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matches/lighter on them or available to them at any time. What could be easier then a cheap lighter or matches in a jacket/purse pocket?

Navck

Enlightened
Batterys (I'll just waste 5 gallons of Gas in a Hummer H2 to buy a pack of AAs from my local store!)
Multimeter (Always combined with batterys)
Tape (Actually thats me, but most people have the large ducktape reels)
Medical supplys (I cannot tell you how many times one of my neighbors asked for a bandaid and a bottle of rubbing alcohol because he cut himself on a piece of wod or something)
Landline (Know people who were screwed because power went out)
Basic tools (Yup, man trys to assemble a table with his finger... Neighbor ends up knocking on doors)
Gasoline (Who needs to mow when you can hire people! Well my family still does)
Candles (Batterys run out, you resort to this)
Lighter (Even if you don't smoke, what if your kitchen stove won't light)
Computer ("Oh I got one, but I think I broke it when I plugged it in and pushed the thing that said 240V because I thought it turbo charges it" - Some adults I overheard)
Extra water/Food for 1 day (Non-Refrigerated food, we're talking about canned here. I've seen TV dinners however!)
Common Sense (Many people don't have this anymore)

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
CLUE!!

Screwdrivers are another big issue. I used to be the clueless one bumbling around without a screwdriver as well, so when you put me and them together, neither of us has anything useable and it gets RealOldRealFast(tm).

So now I'm balancing the equation by EDC'ing my own screwdriver :)

And one of my favorite rants is that so many have computers, and so many have no idea how to use them competently.. it would be like owning a car and not being able to figure out where to go with it.

Last edited:

rikvee

Enlightened
Sensible clothing, I laugh at suits, ties, wobbly high heels, half-naked people in the cold, beanies in the heat etc.
To me they are a testament to people's need to impress at the expense of their own comfort...

....oops, did anyone say piercings?... :devil:

goldenlight

Enlightened
The common sense not to drive their 6500 lb. SUV on packed snow/ice ( OR ON DRY PAVEMENT WHILE FOLLOWING ME AT A DISTANCE OF 3 FREAKING FEET!) like a Darwin Candidate.

Yes, I know you can climb a 45 degree hill in your $#^\^&$#!@ $50,000 SUV. But on packed snow/ice, YOU CAN'T FREAKING STOP AT 60MPH WITHOUT AT LEAST THE EQUIVALENT OF 5 OR 6 CITY BLOCKS!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, my 18 year old Honda, without anti lock brakes, driven at sensible speeds, could stop in about the equivalent of about half a city block.

(But I did cheat a bit and install grey market high asbestos racing brake pads. Talk about stopping on a dime....!)

MORONS!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
rikvee said:
Sensible clothing, I laugh at suits, ties, wobbly high heels, half-naked people in the cold, beanies in the heat etc.
To me they are a testament to people's need to impress at the expense of their own comfort...

That too. Bling doesn't impress me. Taking it all off doesn't either.

NotRegulated said:

And a backup plan - because the primary one never works when you need it most!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
common sense. I live in the Bay Area of California. ENough said. Around here when something goes wrong and you attempt to do something about it, there is bound ot be some law against doing it yourself(penal code, zoning code, noice ordinances, etc), so whenever something happens the first thing people to is call the police no matter what it is...

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Common sense and a modicum of self-sufficiency.

You hit it right on the head Planterz.

I also agree with your list ABTOMAT, just about everything that most people do not have. Sad.

dragoman

Enlightened
I work in power plants all across the country, and I very seldom see anyone with a headlamp on their hard-hat. I have one and use it all the time while working, so I can't understand why very few people have them.

They all (mostly) have cruddy flashlights too....

dragoman

Radio

Modulated Moderator
A good pump or a good ladder, everyone in my neighborhood borrows pumps and ladders from me, am I the only one?

I would like to add "a working generator w/fuel" but they may be too much