water proof the LED module

kromeke

Enlightened
I can't tell from the picture, but putting electronics in plastic is called potting. You are looking for a potting compound. I don't use them myself. I believe most are some sort of 2 part epoxy. Some are urathanes. They should have some flexablity, so the electronics can expand and contract freely. Some potting compounds are not clear. You may want to look at Allied electronics, Digikey, or Newark electronics. Often it is sold in larger quantities than the average hobbiest has need. Depending on your application, there are also conformal coatings for electronics that may work. These come in a spray can.

Also to answer carbine15, yes, they make transparent shrink tube. I wouldn't call it clear, it has some haze to it.

nicholas

Newly Enlightened
hi. thanks of your information about epoxy potting. do you know which type of material to be use in LED application? if i am not wrong, some are clear, and some are after hardening... it become not clear. i found this in RS component... do you know if this is very clear after hardening?
http://www.rscomp.com.sg/electronic...g-paints-lacquers-epoxy-potting-compound.html

don't i want to look much light after this process... :(
thanks again.

kromeke

Enlightened
Nicholas,
I'm not sure what would be the best potting material for your application. I don't have any experience with any potting products. I've only seen it used on other things, and I've looked into the compounds for my own needs. It looks like the product you found would work, it says it is a clear yellow. Oh, you will also need some sort of tray to pot the circuit in. Potting compounds flow freely. I suppose you could make a mold if you don't want to pot it in a tray or housing.

You might want to ask the manufacturer for some details.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What part of the LED array exactly do you want to pot?
Clear RTV may work, or stuff everything into a clear Nalgene tube and seal the ends.

nicholas

Newly Enlightened
trying to POT a RGB power LED seoul semi P5 and try put that into a water pond.. :)
would be nice... using simple counter to run the driver..
got to be water proof. tried with the epoxy from RS comp. lousy job. but water proof... thanks for your advice..