Garrity 1xaaa

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Anybody use one? I just picked one up yesterday, and(to my eyes) it's about 3/4 as bright as my nite-ize minimag. No clue on runtime yet. The package stated that it has a Nichia LED in it. Is it possible to overdrive these with, say, a MN21/23 12v battery?

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Ok, then color me confused. I got this off the FLR website under the first solitaire mod(where a 5mm Nichia is installed) they have listed.

"Go get a MN21/23 battery - They come in packs of 2 at Wal-Mart for about 1.77. Yes, they pump out 12 Volts which is 3 times as much as the max the LED is supposed to take. The LED will burn slightly turquoise, but the internal resistance of the battery will prevent the LED from frying."

legtu

Enlightened
riversedge said:
Ok, then color me confused. I got this off the FLR website under the first solitaire mod(where a 5mm Nichia is installed) they have listed.

"Go get a MN21/23 battery - They come in packs of 2 at Wal-Mart for about 1.77. Yes, they pump out 12 Volts which is 3 times as much as the max the LED is supposed to take. The LED will burn slightly turquoise, but the internal resistance of the battery will prevent the LED from frying."

Direct-drive should be 'fine', especially with nichia's. It's the step-up circuit inside which can make the difference. ;)

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, you will fry the step up circuit if not the led, then the circuit. For more brightness 10% maybe, try using NIMH AAA or Lithium primary AAA batteries.

Unless you are slapping a Luxeon in there I wouldnt mess with the little Garrity. It is what it is.

Just currious, is the Garrity light using an uncut nichia? If it has a nice reflector you might get a much nicer beam by hand cutting your 5mm LED so it fires to the sides making use of the reflector. That would be a worthy mod.

If you really wanna have some fun get a set of AAA LIthium Ions from AW with a charger and driect drive the sucker. It'd be about twice as bright. or replace the nichia with a SMJLED for maybe 50% increase in brightness.. both options are spendy though. Whatever you do dont direct drive the SMJLED with the 3.7volt LIthium.

just spreading the word.