I Want An Insanely Bright Flashlight.

hivoltage

Enlightened
I mean a REALLY bright light. Nothing bigger than a 3 cell D maglight, maybe some rechargeable Nicads. I live in the Boonies and just want very bright light to mess around with, maybe a custom would be the answer. Anyhow I am looking to you Flashaholics for some suggestions. Thanks

ptirmal

Enlightened
Well you say 3d Mag... do you want the form factor of a Maglite? Maybe modded? A 3D is the optimum size for a mag85 which is close to 1000 bulb lumen... or you can build a 2d or 2c Mag for a ROP which is about the same as the mag85, some say slightly dimmer... Those are probably the best bang for your buck, could piece it together for around 100

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Rechargeable, hey? My first recommendation would be a Pila GL4 (or GL4x for more throw), or a GL3. Pila lights are bright, built like tanks, can use li-ions or primaries, and have the option of LED tailcap.

Other options: a SF 9AX (or 8AX, or the nitrolon version). A Strion is much smaller, plenty bright, and rechargeable as well.

I would argue a MaxaBeam is no bigger than a 3D (lengthwise, at least)... :devil:

hivoltage

Enlightened
I am not real particular what kind, it will just be a toy so to speak. I will check out some of these ideas. Anybody ever heard of " The Torch " ?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
hivoltage said:
Anybody ever heard of " The Torch " ?
It looks to be the equivalent of the USL (Ultra Stealth Light) - 3000 - 4000 lumens for about 10 minutes from a 2D mag light.

If you can hold on a bit Amondotech is bringing out a 35w HID light (~3000 lumens).

Also, it's really hard to beat a Mag85 (3D mag lite with WA1185 bulb - 1200 bulb lumens) for price and performance.

Last edited:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
hivoltage, jump on Mac's The Torch while you can. It should eclipse anything you can get your hands on right now :)

litho123

Enlightened
hivoltage -
The Torch, USL and other 100w+ lights that will grace CPF now and in the future are lights that need to be used with extreme care. Misuse can cause fires, burns, temporary vision loss, etc.

I had a "freudian" slip of the finger and gave one of our security folks a face full of 3000 lumens from my USL. It took a good 20 minutes before his vision cleared.

You'll want to be careful if you step into the high-end hotwire arena.

Otherwise I second JimH's recommendation for price and performance ... the Mag85 in any one of its variations.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since you are intending for this flashlight to be "toy" or for "show", I would try out The Torch.

Word has it it would give the M6 a triple spanking.... :whoopin:

The 10 minute runtime isn't too impressive but I'd expect the performance to be jaw-dropping. As an added feature: when the power goes out, you can use The Torch to cook your food :thumbsup:

WP

hivoltage

Enlightened
Thanks for the safety warning Litho123....I appreciate that. I'll be careful.

I might just wait on a Torch and see what all the fuss is about!!!

Buckeye

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes 9D Raider. 3 cell light with turbo head. Can be had with Li-Ion rechargeables. $60 with CR123As or $110 with rechargeables. Check it out at http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/productList.aspx?uid=1-4-16 . Pacific Tatical Solutions. This is on the lower side pricewise for complete lights. I have heard of ROP lights starting around this price for DIY.

Doug

Edit-About an hour runtime for either battery type.
Edit-Corrected price without rechargeables. Also the 9D is on sale at Pacific Tactical Solutions for $50 as of 5-17-06.

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes M100X- 300 lumens, incredible throw with a nice spill beam, 1 hour runtime on 4x123s, very well made PLUS you can get the 13v bulb and extender and set it up to accept 3X18500 recharable cells too!

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
There's a guy at thefiringline.com called Black Bear 84 who sells modified Maglites that he claims (I know NOTHING about the veracity of his claims and I am not an agent for him) make 951 lumens!

Here is a link to a thread there.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169074&highlight=maglite

I guess it's possible that he either comes to CPF or someone here is familiar with his work. Good luck. :)

Don't forget, I'm just the messenger.

-Jeffrey

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
peacefuljeffrey said:
There's a guy at thefiringline.com called Black Bear 84 who sells modified Maglites that he claims (I know NOTHING about the veracity of his claims and I am not an agent for him) make 951 lumens!

Here is a link to a thread there.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169074&highlight=maglite

I guess it's possible that he either comes to CPF or someone here is familiar with his work. Good luck. :)

Don't forget, I'm just the messenger.

-Jeffrey

He's juancho on CPF and has always been held in good regard here. :)

BTW, fixed your link for you: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169074&highlight=maglite

His work is based on the proven Mag85 design and believe me it is a heck of a bright light :D

batman

Enlightened
I've seen that guy too..on SEVERAL forums. It' as if he gets on every forum he can find regarding tactical/outdoors equipment and shamelessly changes topic to advertise his light. I've yet to see him here though, which leads me to believe his product is BS and he knows the CPF crowd would recognize it as such.

igabo

Enlightened
Though the product he makes is of high quality (known simply as Mag85 on the forum), you can build one that is equally as good for much less; somewhere around $140, with parts that you can purchase online. Or.. you could turn to a website that sells the Same Blackbear84 Mag951.

http://light-edge.com/products.asp?section=Super%20Mag&cat=20

Price depends on the caliber of charger you want. The flashlights sold on this website come with the "Rolls Royce" battery carrier, and come with an excellent charger, the same High Current RC cells, and a higher quality reflector (Gives a much better beam than Juancho's/Blackbear84's) for cheaper. Not worth it to purchase from Juancho/Blackbear84 if you ask me..

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Hivoltage,

If what you want is a 3D sized toy for stupidly big output. Yeah just go for the torch :). The Torch should see 3200 output lumens when the batt. is freshly charged, more than an USL...It's based on stuffing 14volts through an Osram 64623 lamp...14 volts to bulb sees about 5000 bulb lumens.

Otherwise if runtime is of some concern, the M@g85 or a 50watter M@gmod.

Latest posts