LED options for Surefire M6?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the new K2s? It seems to me that it would make an awesome light. 140 lumens or so, and the runtime would be insane. That nice big reflector would make a beautiful beam. Whaddya think?

pyro

Enlightened
I think it is waste to use the M6 as host for a LED.
Too big and heavy, and a shock isolation that becomes useless.

Z3+A19 with 3" Turbohead or even a 12PM/12ZM bored out to use
18mm cells would be better suited for a LED IMHO.

rabbit

Newly Enlightened
Can someone tell me what this 'K2' is?

I heard it mentioned many times but no idea what that is.........:huh2:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the M6 can hold a lot of batteries, I would try a multi lux setup if your gonna go with LEDs. McGizmo did that once. its still in his modding pages somewhere. You can try using the K2s although I dont know much about them.

carrot

Flashaholic
rabbit said:
Can someone tell me what this 'K2' is?
The K2 is the latest generation Luxeon, essentially an improved Luxeon III. A few people have gotten them, but as of right now they are difficult to obtain and my understanding is that the U-bin models are backordered.

Anyway, until LED can match the high output of incandescent, I don't know why you'd want to downgrade to a LED in the M6... it kinda ruins the point of the M6. Also, you could pay a lot less and use a Mag host with 6xCR123.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
cmacclel's 5" Pocket Rocket uses a tri-bored cut-down Mag that holds 3xRCR123's. I assume it's not impossible to fit six in the same way in a longer body. As far as I know (which is not much in the realm of customs), no one's attempted 6x123 and a Luxeon (or a few) in a Mag2D, but it should be possible. I'm sure it'd cost way under the $399 price tag of the M6 Guardian.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if the 6x123 is automatically understood to be in parallel sets, but there was just another thread talking about running an M6 bulb with 6 x 123s.

The M6 is a 9v light, not an 18v light. As in it uses 2 sets of 3 x 123s in parallel, and not 6 x 123s in series. 18v will blow the bulb into oblivion.

I believe a custom, worthy LED option for the SF turboheads would be the ArcMania 5w tower module; around 200 lumens on average (+- depending on W or X bin). I'm not sure if it fits the M6 but it should.

It's true that the shock isolation is wasted though, and that the M6 is rather 'biggish' compared to other lights. I can run this 5w module in a config as small as a 6P (KT) (30 mins runtime), M3 size (A19 extender) (1 hr runtime), or M4 size (another A19) (1.5 hrs runtime).

If it works in the M6, I believe a 2-hr runtime is achievable due to the parallel banks. The only thing about the module is its high price :D

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping for something more ambitious like a HID upgrade rather than an Led downgrade.
Mac's pocket rocket uses 3 RCR123 to power up a 10+ watt and if its in an M6 form using 6 RCR123 that might double the runtime.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
cmacclel's 5" Pocket Rocket uses a tri-bored cut-down Mag that holds 3xRCR123's. I assume it's not impossible to fit six in the same way in a longer body. As far as I know (which is not much in the realm of customs), no one's attempted 6x123 and a Luxeon (or a few) in a Mag2D, but it should be possible. I'm sure it'd cost way under the $399 price tag of the M6 Guardian.

OMG! No you di'int! I've gotta get my 2D cut down and bored. Where do I get one of those 2x123 holders? I'm going to run the 6D Xenon bulb in mine with 3 primary CR123s'. Just going to cut it down enough to compensate for the 123 battery holder, so I can still use the stocks switch. Should be interesting....

Size15's

Flashaholic
P85.jpg

M6+KL6

wquiles

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
Like the new K2s? It seems to me that it would make an awesome light. 140 lumens or so, and the runtime would be insane. That nice big reflector would make a beautiful beam. Whaddya think?
Yes, a "W" bin 5W LED on that large reflector makes for a beautiful beam indeed ;)

Some beamshots in here :D

Will

Last edited:

nc987

Enlightened
LED options from surefire are the KL6 and KL2 Led heads. Kl2 is a great flood light with minimal throw, KL6 is the most perfect LED beam i have ever laid eyes on.