another flashlight i hate

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well im stocking up for the bird blu or any distaer so i needed a aa flashlight cause the batts are so easy to find even at gas stations well i dont have credit card so target was my only choise for a single aa light man i got the rock river aa i hate the beam of this thing plus its preety darn big .so if i was you id avoid it. the beam has no spill at all .

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o let me add i read the package as a 1 watt led but it said 1 led .that was my mistake

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rather like the AA Rock River myself, I dont mind a light with little sidespill myself, the Inova X0 and X03 are another two big favorites.

EricTarini

Newly Enlightened
If it's not too late, you might consider returning the moon-spot River Rock 2AA and get the $19.99 Inova Radiant 2AA instead (only available at Target), which *is* a 1W Luxeon. There was a problem when they were first introduced where they had a dark ring in the beam, but I haven't seen that for a long time. The way to tell when you're in the store is to look straight into the reflector, and if all you see is the yellowish-green color in the reflector (and no dark rings partway up the reflector), then you've got a good one.

I've bought four of them at different times and they have a nice tint and beam shape. The runtime was measured at over 6 hours with alkalines (see http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_radiant_aa.htm). It's not as slim as a Streamlight Luxeon Jr., but I find that it's more comfortable to hold, especially in cold weather. I've been using lithium AAs in them and the runtime curve is even flatter and longer. There's always the Luxeon lottery, but the only other 2AA 1W Luxeon in its price range is the Nuwai ALX-2512AA ($21.50 at Amondotech, and then add shipping).

Oh, and it doesn't have a reverse clickie; it has a true momentary (signaling) tail switch and a push-to-click standard clickie.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
those river rocks are fun to pretend your a prison spot light, catching the cat trying to escape from prison. besides that, they dont offer much usefull light. Mini mag with nite-ize, good for long runtimes. Any luck with your bright neighbor?
-bobby

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
Bird Flu? :)

Have you stocked up on N95 respirators?

I'm so torn whether to take this thing seriously or to treat it like another Y2K

raggie33

*the raggedier*
NeoteriX said:
Bird Flu? :)

Have you stocked up on N95 respirators?

I'm so torn whether to take this thing seriously or to treat it like another Y2K
ive heard mask wont work .cause the germs is to small and in the air but i may a missunderstood them

zulu45

Enlightened
I gotta push forth the Fenix L2P. This thing is amazing, has great regulation (even with alkalines!), and is amazingly bright. This is (and will be) at my side 24/7. It's perfect for... well almost anything.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
raggie33 said:
ive heard mask wont work .cause the germs is to small and in the air but i may a missunderstood them

Do a Google on "Nanomask". I think they filter a much smaller particle size than the N95. Many are selling them for the bird flu.

Me - I'm using the bird flu to justify my purchase of tons 'o new lights. Haven't gotten around to emergency food, water, first aid or any of that. Just new lights and batteries! So far, my wife hasn't caught on...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y2K was a business boom to building survivialist businesses. Don't sell it short, it's a good way to build up the economy for people who may be looking for a means to make a living. And don't forget the hurricanes from last year that should have already given them a foundation to build on in escalating emergency awareness.

NeoteriX said:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
cd-card-biz said:
Me - I'm using the bird flu to justify my purchase of tons 'o new lights. Haven't gotten around to emergency food, water, first aid or any of that. Just new lights and batteries! So far, my wife hasn't caught on...

Speaking of lights, I wonder whether one of those air cleaners with the UVC bulb inside will help. They DO have germicidal properties and the newer bulbs produce less residual ozone by filtering out the primary ozone-producing wavelength.

Dawg

Enlightened
Bird Flu? Respirators? Who cares? Bring it on. You die and you get to go to the light. Is it not that, which we all seek anyway?

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
All these people that worry about the flu pandemic are a bit nuts. There are a dozen other more important things to worry about. High blood pressure, car accidents, etc. that happen everyday without a pandemic of any kind.

Anyway, I agree that you should go to the Inova from River Rock. Better build quality.

And also, regarding the credit card comment, I'm assuming you mean you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a light. Well, for a real SHTF type scenario, I'd want a good light.

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
raggie33 said:
Whether a regular "surgical mask" is adequate is certainly up for debate, as filtering out incoming air isn't really the intention anyway; surgical masks are designed to keep the spit, cough droplets, bacteria, etc. from the doctor away from the patient.

However, NIOSH respirators (N95/P95/P100) should do the trick, and are pretty much what is called for by any disease control standards. It's a common misunderstanding that "particles" can be too small for these kinds of filters, because it's based on a layperson's basic understanding of how a filter works--that a filter is a screen and can only catch particles that are larger than the weave or pores that allow air through.

In actuality, .3 micrometers is the hardest size particle to filter--anything larger than that size and anything smaller than that size are in fact easier to filter. This is because smaller particles will actually stick to the fibers of the mask easier because of vander waals forces--the smaller particles are to light to overcome inherent atomic attractive forces.

Oh yeah, and I would advise against the nanomask, the website seems full of pseudoscience...