What is an American car?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
CNN announced that there is going to be a new "Buy American" campaign on TV put together by a group of retired GM, Ford and Chrysler employees.

In the same story, they described the Ford Mustang as being built with only 65% American parts while the Toyota Sienna (also built in the U. S.) is built with 90% American parts.

I'll buy the best car for the money and, according to Consumer Reports, it's Japanese in every category.

What do you guys/gals think?

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
sflate said:
An 'American Car' is one in which the profits stay in America, not necessarily one that is built in America.
In that sense, Walmart is an American Store and Mattel is an American toy company, even though most of its product is made overseas. Of the total revenue generated by sales, most probably stays here with Mattel, but the actual fabrication money goes overseas.

A look at one of the registries for "American Manufacturers" shows VERY few consumer product manufacturers in the US. Most listed only make industrial products, and many of those are engineering companies who contract for production overseas and distribute the products here.

It's just the way it is. The elements required for anything less than high tech mass production or low volume boutique production simply aren't in the US anymore, nor does our culture appear likely to recreate them anytime soon (e.g. true grit work ethic based on fear of hard times...).

Amonra

Enlightened
A gas guzzling beast ( which seems to be going out of fashion lately )

TorchMan

Enlightened
With a global economy, it's hard to tell, at least it was for me. My car was built using 55% percent American & Canadian parts (34% Japanese and the other 11% not listed), final assembly in Normal, Illinois.

Some Chevrolet cars were assembled in Canada or Mexico, IIRC. Also some Fords were done in Mexico as well. Toss in the fact that many automakers own part or all of others, and it blurs even more. Daimler-Chrysler owns 37% or Mitsubishi (the maker of mine) for example.

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Toyota was built up the road.
My "Heartbeat of America" Chevy Avalanche was built in Mexico.
Can you tell the difference in workmanship? Um, yeah.

Donovan

Enlightened
Marty Weiner said:
CNN announced that there is going to be a new "Buy American" campaign on TV put together by a group of retired GM, Ford and Chrysler employees.
In the same story, they described the Ford Mustang as being built with only 65% American parts while the Toyota Sienna (also built in the U. S.) is built with 90% American parts.
I'll buy the best car for the money and, according to Consumer Reports, it's Japanese in every category.
I think your right on the money! I find it silly how some people will go out of their way to buy a shoddily union made "American" car and not even consider a much higher quality Japanese or German make that may also be made here!

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I'm seriously considering a mule and cart. They were very common in Paraguay and seemed a very economical and tranquil way to travel. Anybody know if I would need a special permit/insurance or a canvas bag for the mules exhaust?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the quality and reliability issues with American cars, some of them are now atrocious looking. The new GMC trucks and SUVs have extremeley ugly fronts my opinion says.

Until American makers increase quality up to Japense and German standards, I don't consider them a good buy. Its too bad, becausse Chrysler has soom reals nice looking vehicles on the road right now...but therir lack of quality turns me off.

TorchMan

Enlightened
carbine15 said:
last I checked Jeeps were 100% made in USA.

I just Googled it and the auction that popped up had the window sticker for a Commander 4x4. It says 76% U.S./Canadian parts. I'd wager the glass for most vehicles is probably made in Mexico. I could be wrong on that, but it seems the windows that I've read all state that.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:23HjZcOuo80J:www.chryslerautoauction.com/aspauction/detail.asp%3Fid%3D5155+2006+jeeps+parts+origin+final+assembly&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8

This other link has a sticker that shows the transmission to be made in Germany. 82% U.S./Canadian parts though. I'm betting the 100% 'Merican made car doesn't exist on a large scale, and maybe not on a small one either.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:jQpZnYQzWcMJ:www.dullesauto.com/stickers/261043_.html+2006+jeeps+parts+origin+final+assembly&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed it is hard to tell without an EPA scorecard spelling out the source as either domestic or import. Vehicles with name badges from 'foreign' firms are often built on the assembly lines of the Big 3 in the U.S. or North America either for domestic or foreign consumption, many of today's foreign name badge vehicles carry an EPA 'domestic' classification. Mazdas are often built on the same Ford assembly lines using the same platforms as Ford vehcles, Opel/Vauxhall vehicles are often built on GM assembly lines, and even prized premium vehicles like a Mercedes may be built on an assembly line in Georgia (the one in the U.S. southeast, not the one in the former Soviet Union :) ). And of course, there is the granddaddy of them all, the Honda plants in Marysville Ohio where Honda builds many of their cars and motorcycles. And of course, the domestic Big 3 have had assembly lines in Canada and Mexico for many years now. Then to throw more into the mix, the car companies themselves may own many brand names including many that aren't domestic brands, like Volvo and Mazda from Ford; Saab, Opel, and Vauxhall from GM; and the Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/Mitsubishi brands from Daimler-Chrysler. Then there are the joint-venture efforts like NUMMI from Toyota and GM that builds Toyotas right here in the Bay Area.

blindsided

Banned
Marty Weiner said:

I think the only solution here is to stop driving.

mccavazos

Enlightened
357 said:
Besides the quality and reliability issues with American cars, some of them are now atrocious looking. The new GMC trucks and SUVs have extremeley ugly fronts my opinion says.

Until American makers increase quality up to Japanese and German standards, I don't consider them a good buy. Its too bad, because Chrysler has soom reals nice looking vehicles on the road right now...but their lack of quality turns me off.

Quality and reliability issues? Its not the 1980's anymore, I really challenge you to find ANY currently made automobile, be it domestic or import that is suffering from quality issues. My 85 silverado is still running proud, 21 years after it was made. And that is an 80's car. I don't think that earlier comments about "Gas Guzzlers" are fair either. GM V8's are more efficient than Toyota V8's. Sure American cars are generally larger and heavier than their plastic Japanese counterparts, but I would much rather sacrifice a few MPG to know that the car that I am in was designed in America, and that my hard earned dollars stay in MY economy (well at least in this aspect). The lack of quality comment is simply uneducated.

Latest posts