U2 or AE powerlight

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
which one would you buy first the U2 or the AE powerlight if price was no option?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Depends on whether you want something to use or something to show off.

The U2 is a heck of a lot more practical - the Powerlight is big way too bright for using on anything under 15 feet away. Also has to warm up and the beam has lots of artifacts.

The U2 is pocketable and you can run it off of 18650's. Adjustable power level and clickie. Makes a great bike light.

I'd vote for the U2, but if price isn't an issue, get both!

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'd go for the AE light long before the U2... but that's just a personal preference thing- big lights in the many hundreds, and up into the thousands of lumens are what really impress me... If I were trying to decide between these 2 lights- I would wait till Surefire gets the U2 quality control under control to buy that one.... but buy the AE now..

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same like mdocod said. I'm not impressed of the SF quality.
For this bucks, you can get more reliable solutions.
Get the AE.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I'd get the AE before the U2. I love my AE and use it all the time at work and sometimes at home. The AE is not way too big, it does not produce artifacts in the beam and is very practical. But the U2 is good too, that is, if you get a good one. I plan on getting a U2 somtime.

ianb

Enlightened
I have owned both and both are great lights(I had no problem with my U2's quality). The U2 is very useful with multiple outputs, clickie switch and pretty tough, and ohh so different from the AE. The AE is huge (15 5/8" inches long), there no other way to say it, compared to normal handheld lights. But it is awesome, turning on a hid is exciting as it warms up (full power in ~8-10 seconds), but try using it to find your keys in your bag and you'd be seeing stars :D. If you want a useable EDC or day to day useful light get the U2, if you want something to impress your friends get the AE.

On small LED lights(similar to U2) also consider a McGizmo HD45, slightly larger than a U2 but tough, good throw, to my eye more output than a U2 on high and a very useful low level (available here... http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php ...but not now :( there is a 3 and 5 watt version)
Ian B

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Having seen both in action (and owning a U2)... even if price is not an issue, I would consider what I intend to use the light for. The U2 has nowhere near the "throw" (or power) of an HID light like the AE. The AE doesn't have multiple light levels.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
The U2 has too many bugs for me. SF needs to get it right and then... Maybe.

The AE has very good quality and no recurrent bugs that I'm aware of. I would get this one due to the current QC issues with the U2.

On the other hand, I personally have no use for the size or output of the AE and as a result neither of these lights are on my short list albeit for different reasons.