Keychain lights...not my field

Illum

Flashaholic
Whats the longest running keychain light [LED] made?
no mods plz...I just wanted to know whats the best in the consumer industry...not of the flashaholics...ty

Some joked about placing this on a keychain....dunno why, but i thought it was funny

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon Freedom will run 24 hours a day on high with the cr2016s that come with it for quite a while. The well thought out UI always gives you the option to bring the output UP to just what you need for any task which saves on the batteries.

I have a NV Green PF that I run on 1 cr2032 instead of 2 cr2016s. I did a runtime test on high with a cr2032 and it ran 24 hours a day for around eleven days before I decided that the test was taking too much out of my life and I stopped it.

I read about people raving about this light for a long time before I ordered -- and now I'm just as hooked as they are. It's also the only light I have thats light weight enough that I can stand to wear on a bead chain around my neck.

I figure I've got 3 1/2 lifetimes worth of 2016s and 2032s from Batteryspace for 32 cents each.

paulr

Flashaholic
A regular direct drive coin light with a green or white led and a CR2032 will run for weeks nonstop, at a fairly dim level. I have a green one set up that way that's still on its original battery after 5+ years of normal (i.e. occasional) use.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
paulr said:
A regular direct drive coin light with a green or white led and a CR2032 will run for weeks nonstop, at a fairly dim level. I have a green one set up that way that's still on its original battery after 5+ years of normal (i.e. occasional) use.

Are you saying that I could put a single CR2032 into my Photon II Microlight instead of the two CR2016s and it would also work??

In addition to a yes or no, could you please explain why this is, and what the difference between the batteries is?

Thanks!

-Jeffrey

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
I love the Photon Freedom. 'nuff said.

I just read about it at photonlights.com and I am inclined to like it, too. I currently have a bunch of Photon IIs and IIIs...

The description of the Freedom's functioning is as follows:

• [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All it takes is a simple squeeze of the button to give you instant full power illumination at any time. To dim the light once it is turned on, simply press and hold the button to dim the light to the desired level. [/font]​
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pressing and holding the button when the light is already off will turn it on at the lowest level and allow you to gradually increase the brightness to give you just the amount of light you need to accomplish your task without disturbing your night vision or disrupting those around you.[/font]​
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When needed, the four safety strobe functions (fast, medium, slow, & SOS) can be accessed by continuing to hold the button down. Once the light has dimmed or brightened fully, it will proceed to cycle through the various strobe functions. Simply release the button when you reach the desired beacon mode. [/font]​
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An additional "signaling" mode can be accessed by tapping the button several times in rapid succession. When in the signaling mode, the Freedom Micro will behave like the squeeze-only Photon I, with the light turning on only while the button is pressed and off when it is released. To exit the signaling mode and return the light to normal operation, simply press and hold the button for several seconds until the light turns off.[/font]​
One question I have for those with experience with the Photon Freedom is, are there drawbacks to leaving it in "Signal Mode"? I was thinking that unless there is an auto-shutoff for the normal "one touch equals full brightness" mode, there is a danger of the light getting accidentally turned on and left on, wasting the battery power.

I would think that in Signal Mode, the light would remain indefinitely in that mode and would, at worst, turn on when sufficient pressure were put on it, and otherwise could not remain on indefinitely. Is this the case?

Anyone prefer the "covert" model to the normal one? I am leaning toward the covert model because I am well familiar with all the sidespill of the others...

-Jeffrey

carrot

Flashaholic
jeff -- a 2032 has higher capacity than using two 2016's (and is twice as thick, accordingly). But the pair of 2016's gives higher voltage. Basically, for white, turquoise, green and blue Photons, the 2016's are used because those LEDs have higher Vf (essentially voltage requirement). Yellow, orange and red Photons use 2032's, because they have lower Vf, and have much longer runtimes accordingly. Using a 2032 in a white, green, or blue Photon will make it less bright, but have a longer runtime.

Yes, momentary mode will prevent it from turning on in your pocket. No disadvantage I can think of, except that you won't be able to set the Photon into constant on without pressing and holding a few seconds, and then pressing again. You also won't be able to use the dimming functions without dropping out of momentary mode first. (A very useful feature, IMHO.)

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, you can use a CR2032 instead of two CR2016's in your Photon. The original Photons were shipped that way, and it was modders who discovered that you could use two CR2016's instead.

CR2032 is a 3 volt battery which underdrives the led slightly, giving dim output with tremendous runtime. CR2016 is a 3 volt battery just like the CR2032, same diameter but half as thick and with correspondingly less capacity. By using two of them (thus getting the same thickness as a CR2032) you get 6 volts, but current limited by the internal resistance of the very small cell. Result is a very bright, overdriven led, until the battery starts to run down. With two CR2016's, you get very bright output for 1/2 hour or so, then pretty good output for maybe 6 hours, followed by several days of dimming off into nothingness. With one CR2032, it's dim (though certainly usable) from the get-go and stays that way for weeks.

BTW, the Photon II is my favorite coin light. The Freedom is an amazing technical feat but it's too complicated for my tastes. Who wants to mess around with jiggling it in and out of signal mode? The flashing and SOS modes seem pretty useless, the dimmability is handy but not THAT big a deal. You can dim a Photon II with the low-tech approach of putting your finger over the LED. The Freedom scares me because of the issue of turning on in your pocket (unless you complicate things by switching modes). That could be mostly-solved by a 5 minute auto-shutoff to save the batteries, but apparently there is some bogus patent preventing LRI from doing that.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...One question I have for those with experience with the Photon Freedom is, are there drawbacks to leaving it in "Signal Mode"? I was thinking that unless there is an auto-shutoff for the normal "one touch equals full brightness" mode, there is a danger of the light getting accidentally turned on and left on, wasting the battery power.

I would think that in Signal Mode, the light would remain indefinitely in that mode and would, at worst, turn on when sufficient pressure were put on it, and otherwise could not remain on indefinitely. Is this the case?...
The whole PF 'package' is very well thought out -- not just the light. The light may be hung by a very nice clip (included). It also comes with perhaps the most useful 'hat bill clip' I've ever used. In direct response to your question, the PF also comes with a low profile, light weight gadget that will allow you to carry the light on a keychain or a bead chain (in my case) and just unsnap the light when you want to use it. The light may be inserted into this 'clip' (for lack of a better word) in such a way that it prevents the switch from being activated -- no matter what mode the light is in. It is a well thought out system.
...Anyone prefer the "covert" model to the normal one? I am leaning toward the covert model because I am well familiar with all the sidespill of the others...
Others will surely differ but I wouldn't have anything but the covert model. People are adamant about both versions.

Last edited:

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all very much for the illumination! (I couldn't resist! :D )

I guess I'm probably going to get one or two of these dealies now... probably in covert config. The only covert one I have currently is the Photon III in U.V. (It doesn't see much use...)

I too am a big fan of the Photon II, but the only drawback is it is really NOT water resistant. The IIIs are much better about that.

I wish they would make a nice non-processor-controlled specimen (like the II) but with a better, water-resistant switch.

-Jeffrey

Illum

Flashaholic
Photons are virtually everywhere...
to hear that it can run 24 hours outputing dim but usable light...so what i was trying to fine was actually right under my nose... :lolsign:

I was half expecting people to mention Arcs...

images
Stethoscope light
For marketing purposes and my parents were doctors...so I have about two dozen of these lights...LEDs pretty bright, but the light that outputs seems the die is off center even when the diode is set straight..
two dozen lights = 4 dozen maxwell cr1616 batteries laying around, I've given away over half, any idea to put these little guys to good use.
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to carry Photon IIs but now carry the Freedoms and I do like the dimmer option.

Signal mode doesn't prevent turning them on by sitting on them - mine ride in my left rear pocket clipped to a SAK Pioneer so they are always getting sat upon. It does make it happen less often, though.

I think the spill can be very useful for general illumination. I split the difference by carrying a white covert and a NV (stupid name for that LED, btw) green w/o the covert sleeve. You could improvise the covert effect with some shrink tubing or electrical tape.