Common courtesy............?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I was at Lowes buying lumber for a grape arbor and saw an elderly woman who was standing next to her car with two 80lb bags of concrete on a cart. She was extremely thankful when I offered to load them for her. Not one but FOUR guys walked past her and no one offered to help. Seems like common courtesy is going the same way as common sense.

A few things I was taught growing up:

Stand up when a lady enters a room.

Offer women and elderly men your seat if there isn't one available. (I've found that most women will say no thanks, but if instead you get up and don't offer your seat but instead walk around and be interested in other things, she'll sit down.)

Hold doors open for people.

Ladies first.

Say please and thank you, of course.

People you don't know and aren't kids are "sir" and "ma'am" and not "hey you!"

There's more, but hell if I can remember them now. They're pretty automatic, I'll remember them as they happen. Anyone else taught these things? What else have I forgotten?

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Common courtesty............?

i always help others and im socail phobic but i was taught as u was to help others.if i ever see a person in need and i have a way to help ill do so.ya are a good person bomber.good to see folks like ya

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

And, Bomber, those guys at Lowes will probably leave their carts in the handicap space when they depart.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

BIGIRON said:
And, Bomber, those guys at Lowes will probably leave their carts in the handicap space when they depart.
thats pisses me off when people do that.grr people make me mad sometimes

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Common Courtesy, like Common Sense is not common anymore... In fact, it is rare. :(

I don't care about people calling me sir, but I really dislike being called, "Dude", "Buddy" or "Pal" by strangers, especially ones 1/3 my age. I'd actually rather be called "Hey You!"

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

My family and I was at Wal-mart last year and a lady was struggling with a bicycle. She was trying to get it in her car but it just would not fit. I was watching her because my wife and I was getting our kids out of the van and I was putting the 2 smallest ones in a buggy.

I observed the same thing as others. A lot of people walked past her without offering to help. The worst part was that an emplyee was collecting buggies right beside of her and never once offered to help. When I got the kids in the buggy I told my wife that I would be right back. I went over there and helped her get the bicycle in the car. It was a struggle but we got it finally. She was also very thankful. I just told her that I was glad I could help.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Considering your health issues :sick: , WE are glad you COULD help too. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*

LifeNRA said:
My family and I was at Wal-mart last year and a lady was struggling with a bicycle. She was trying to get it in her car but it just would not fit. I was watching her because my wife and I was getting our kids out of the van and I was putting the 2 smallest ones in a buggy.

I observed the same thing as others. A lot of people walked past her without offering to help. The worst part was that an emplyee was collecting buggies right beside of her and never once offered to help. When I got the kids in the buggy I told my wife that I would be right back. I went over there and helped her get the bicycle in the car. It was a struggle but we got it finally. She was also very thankful. I just told her that I was glad I could help.
ya rock nra i am prould to have you as a freind.when ya get sad think of how ya helped others and the a1 guy you are.and keep the faith my freind

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Diesel, I was taught the very same things growing up and I still operate on those principles. Obviously Jeff does also. :thumbsup:

Razor

Newly Enlightened

Those are indeed some valuable basics everyone ought to heed, and all too many don't. It's amazing how selfish and secluded people have become towards humanity when when the need to be just the opposite actually arises.

Arkayne

Enlightened

I wish I saw more of that. I think that common courtesy is being lost to this new generation. I see alot of kids that spend most of their time inside on the computer or playing video games or watching these ridiculous cartoons. Once they get out with REAL people, they don't know what to do and have no idea how to properly interact with each other.

I don't know, is manners NOT taught in school anymore? This has been one of the biggest gripes I've had lately.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

Arkayne said:

I don't know, is manners NOT taught in school anymore? This has been one of the biggest gripes I've had lately.
I don't really think that school has anything to do with it. I just think most kids act like their parents. Or they have parents who were too lazy to teach them better. When I was a kid and I did not say thank you to someone when they gave me something my Dad would whack me on the back of the head and tell me to show respect. Even though I grew up seeing my parents showing others respect I believe that without discipline I probably would have turned out no better than those we are discussing. Children must have things drilled into them constantly. I hate to hear a parent say "Now honey we don't (hit, bite, steal, cuss, lie, show disrespect, etc.....)" without actually disciplining the child. Children have to grow up knowing that there are consequences for their actions. Children these days are never punished therefore they are not worried about how they act or how others see them.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think everything in the first post is automatic, for me, except for the "stand up when a lady enters a room." I suppose, though, if she was super good looking, I might not have a choice....:naughty:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know it varies by location and other factors, but a lot of 'kids' (meaning anyone younger than about 20 or so) surprise me.

At least around here, I'm pretty often surprised at the numbers of kind, conscientious and considerate young people.

Sure there are a lot of rude little punks, but there are many more 'good kids' than I would imagine given the dismal state of parenting and education in general.

Most of us 'old poops' like to find fault with youngsters, and believe that our generation was the last generation of decent people, but very often I run across kids nowadays that give me hope that our society won't dissolve into total barbarity in the next few years.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure punishment as children is necessary, at least not in the capital sense of slapping or spanking, but plenty of mild discipline and constant reminders of the expected behavior certainly are. I only got spanked once or twice as a kid (once was for using a bottle of baby powder to draw designs all over my parents bedroom carpet :D They didn't understand though, I wasn't drawing I was being a choo choo train and using it to make the puffs of smoke, I didn't exactly notice it was leaving a trail as I ran around the room...) And I'm a pretty polite guy ;)

What it takes to raise polite and conscientious children is energy and perseverance. And thats hard! I've got a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old who i've been working on for please and thank you since they were old enough to talk. My daughter is pretty good at 5, but still forgets and I just don't give her what she's asking for until she asks properly and without the whiny tone. This can be hard work! My almost 2 year old is learning too and often says thank you (or "tankooo") when you give him something, he even says "peeeeees" and when he sees you with something he really wants he says "peespeespeespeespeespeespees" :D

parenting aint easy, while I feel sorry for the people that got into it without full disclosure of what would be expected from them, thats tough.

As far as helping ladies or elderly folks in the parking lot, I've done that too, also after scowling at the guy retrieving buggies has walked past the poor folks and ignored them. There seems to be something about me in stores too, people seem to talk to me and ask me questions about things, from where to find stuff to how does it work. I'm not sure why I engender such support, they seem to realize I don't work there but I must be approachable or look not so threatening or something.. I"m happy to help if I can, I know how difficult it can be to find a clerk or person working who will even try to help you, much less actually give you correct information. Seems that "I dont know, let me find someone who does" is also not in their vocabulary, they just make stuff up to get done with you.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here in NY you sometimes get - "what - you think I can't open a door myself?" but - that is an exception . Most of my life I have held doors open, said thanks, and given up my seat on the subway. My children learned all this by example.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

And did those "old poops" forgot who raised that generation of youngsters? :D
Retaliate, spoil your grandkids ;)

Don't forget, the pre WWI and depression era babies who raised today's "old poops" thought that generation was going to hell in the proverbial hand basket as well what with the lacivious motions of rock-n-roll and loose morals.

Silviron said:
Most of us 'old poops' like to find fault with youngsters, and believe that our generation was the last generation of decent people, but very often I run across kids nowadays that give me hope that our society won't dissolve into total barbarity in the next few years.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is probably an interesting social phenomenon here. With the rise of large anonymous cities, people don't know each other and feel little social pressure to be courteous. If a person knew he was going to see the same little old lady every week, he'd feel a little awkward just walking past without offering help.

Where this is most obvious is people in their cars who don't know and can't really see each other, and are way more hostile than they are in person. It is also true of the internet forums where people can be rude and obnoxious without significant consequences.

I think people consider the benefits and costs of helping or being courteous or rude to someone. A beautiful woman will get plenty of help with her sacks of concrete, I think. Being rude to a cop or a group of rough looking bikers is less likely than the average person.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

i am currently in high school, and it seems as if many kids arent taught any manners...yes, there are a lot that are nice, but I think there are too many that arent taught enough about manners.

-David

Last edited: