Inside the PT Apex

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up 2 of the Apex's and the where delivered today. One of them had possibly a YO bin with a bluish tint, the other had possibly and X1 bin which was whiteish with a slight yellow hue.

It figures the yellowish tint was the color I was going to keep the camo model was for a friend.

Anyway the modder that I am had the case open 5 minutes after opening the package changing the LED. :) I said what the heck I throw in my nice UWOK bin led as I plan on using this headlamp extensively for the upcoming fishing season.

It took all of 5 minutes and the U-Bin was installed. To my amazement the other head lamp STILL was brighter. My nice U-Bin was measuring 1200 lux and the stock camp Apex was at 1450 Lux!! Maybe it's an X bin!

Here's some pix of the internals

IMG_2260-vi.jpg

IMG_2271-vi.jpg

IMG_2286-vi.jpg

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

Any chance the UWOK is a Joker and it's a little out of focus compared to the LED it came with :thinking:

Later
Kelly

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sway said:
Mac,

Any chance the UWOK is a Joker and it's a little out of focus compared to the LED it came with :thinking:

Later
Kelly

Good point sway, I never thought of that. Does the Lower die Height make a difference when using an optic? Anyway I pulled the UWOK a installed TYOH.

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
if its a t-bin and its brighter is most likely has a lower vf than the u-bin

Lower VF was not a problem.......the LED I removed had a VF of 4.0v at 750mah. The U-Bin had a lower VF.

The Apex if fully regulated so it sholdn't matter what VF you have initially both LEDS will see the same power until it goes out of regulation.

Mac

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
my above post is completely stupid i have no idea what i was thinking when i wrote that...

anyways... when you opened the apex... did it jeapordize the water resistance properties of the headlamp? Also, any new conclusions to why your friends apex still had a higher lux reading than yours? A slight yellow tint would be awesome in a headlamp :)...

i wish we could know the bin of your friends led... i doubt pt would put U-bins in their Apex's... but i could be wrong... Just makes me think the scarry thought that a T bin was brighter than your U-bin :(