The Groovy (compared with u2 PICS!!!!)

Flakey

Enlightened
Ok, so i have been friends with Andrewwynn for a while now, and we were talking about a high powered light that was keychain friendly, i said E1L he said, Groovy. So i bit, "Whats a groovy" Long story short today i get a very special package with my own personal Groovy! and i must say, THIS THING IS GREAT! It fits on my keychain like a charm, its big enough for me to grab to pull out the keys, and small enough to sit in my jeans withought bothering me. For those who don't know, the groovy is a compact little light that runs on a single RCR123A. it is VERY bright for its size, I have one with a special driver that puts out about 950mA normal groovies will have less power but longer runtimes. This one makes 80 lumens for about 35 minutes. ill let the beamshots do some talking.

The groovy makes friends with the U2
bbd364e2b963.jpg

U2 on highest setting
76973218a8d3.jpg

Groovy
79c526d4a14a.jpg

NOW FOR A CEILING BOUNCE TEST

U2
651300262111.jpg

Groovy
bc0f96c1af1f.jpg

MY camera sucks, the white balance is all off neither of the lights are greenish in tone, both are PURE white.

Ok that being said, my impressions:
WOW for the size it cant be beat, the beam is a perfect mix of flood and throw, it has a wider spillbeam than the u2. Beamshape of the groovy is better, in my opinion, (transition from hotspot outwords is smoother) The light itself is beautifull. the chrome finish, and finning is just great to look at, and provides a decent gripping surface. The tailcap swich is a proper clicky, with press momentary, click constant. the tailcap FEEL is SWEET! the tail feels solid, and confident, it is recessed into the back of the light, so it can tailstand, also it protects from accidental activation. The light is overall very well thought out, original, and, well, Groovy! I like it ALOT

one last shot, Comparing beams
b6d9bc29d5ce.jpg

Honestly it doesnt do half bad fighting a light that is twice its size and weight ........ Oh By the way, yes i EDC both of these lights now. heaven forbid that for even a second there might be darkness in my life =)

questions/comments welcome

Flakey

Enlightened
HarryN said:
That's the Photon Fanatic Light - right ?

yes indeed it is, great little light. porpose built for RCR123. so happy that i didnt buy the E1L!!!!!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would love to have a light like that on my keychain, but I'd be worried about replacement lenses, because I know mine would get all scratched up. That's a heck of a keychain light!!!

Flakey

Enlightened
glockboy said:
What yours Groovy #?

Whell as of right now, I am sworn to secrecy on that subject .......... on a side note ( I LOVE YOU ANDREW WYNN!)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'll bite. Is the "Groovy" a special one run light, or can us mortals buy one some where? VDG

Flakey

Enlightened
It is a very special light yes, but even mortals may obtain one.
http://www.photonfanatic.com/GroovyCPF.htm
official buy site, although mine is driven about 200mA higher than an average groovy, however i have less than perfect regulation as a result. still ... freaking cool little light!

Oh btw my groovy body is number 101, my bezel hoewever says "Groovy #1 Andrewwynn" HEHEHEHE since joining here andrew and i have become really good friends, and when i decided to buy a groovy he let me use his bezel untill we can get another one .... Hope my keys dont scrach it too much! =X

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flakey was about to buy the EL1.. and i said.. for the $.. get a groovy... way nicer light.. and i can make a special pill with a little extra juice.

There was some 'time pressure' so rather than sending him to phtotonfanatic website i actually sold him one of my personal groovies.. but just a 'loaner' on the #1 bezel.. i have to buy a replacement and i'll send the bezel for a swap.

I think Flakey failed to mention.. the reflector was upgraded to a McR18 reflector.. you have to sand down the height 10.7mm from 12.. and either sand down the outside or use about 20# of force to install it, but the beam quality is phenominal and you get a boost of spot lux as well.

a typical groovy will measure between 750 and 950lux depending on the drive level and emitter.. the special edition here measured 1200+ lux.. it's VERY bright.

ask fred for the "LDO^3" driver if you'd like your groovy to be a bit on the brighter side.

the LDO^3 driver is heat sensitive.. as the light warms up and would start dropping in output because of flux to current ratio dropping due to heat.. it actually outputs more current to compensate for the drop.. it is nearly a constant output of lumen, it's quite neat to watch the light meter 'not change'.

The regulation actually is not compromised from the higher output, only runtime.

The nickel plating is really tough.. i don't take *any* special provisions for my groovy and it's in my pocket with 'whatever else' for the better part of a year now.. takes a licking.. just needs to have the navel lint removed from the fins time to time.

-awr

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I would love to have a light like that on my keychain, but I'd be worried about replacement lenses, because I know mine would get all scratched up. That's a heck of a keychain light!!!
No problem with that, I've already replaced my lens. You can get replacement lenses at the web site. http://photonfanatic.com/

Cliff

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
it comes with a glass lens.. did you scratch your lens, Cliff, or break it? Fred is awesome with service.. i've ordered stuff at noon that he's shipped before 3. he sends most small things just 1st class and charges 'actual postage' or at least darn close. He's so good at wrapping/packing/shipping that i want to use him for my 'front end' for shipping lights.

-awr