So when do you change batteries

kendallAA

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering when do you change batteries in your EDC light? When you begin to notice a decline in the output, at approximate 50% output, or when the light just flat won't turn on? Also if you change them at 50% or greater what do you do with the half used cells? Here's another question how many spares or sets of spares cells do you care for your EDC?

:popcorn:

thanks for sharing
KendallAA

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
With an LED light it's actually pretty hard to notice the light getting dim until it's WAY below 50%. Anyway, my EDC's these days are a Fenix L1p and a 1AAA 5mm light or coin cell light. The L1p has a NiMH rechargeable cell and I charge it up once a month or so, or if I notice the light getting dim. The 1AAA and coin lights, I change the cell if I notice significant dimming. The cells in those lights last a long time. I don't worry about whether a battery might be near depletion since I generally have a spare light (at least a coin light). I don't EDC a spare battery for the L1p, but would probably bring at least one spare along (charged NiMH or lithium) if I went on a trip.

I don't generally make any attempt to cycle cells from high-current lights to lower-current ones in hand-me-down fashion, though some CPF'ers do that (generally from incan to LED lights). I generally avoid having high-power, frequently used, non-rechargeable lights, the usual source of half-dead batteries. I have high-power rechargeables and low-power non-rechargeables, and some infrequently-used high-power non-rechargeables (TL3 incan). If I used the TL3 more, I'd convert it to 17500's (rechargeable).

carrot

Flashaholic
In my regulated lights, as soon as they drop out of regulation. In lights like my Inova X5, as soon as it seems "too dim" -- dimmer than a normally driven 5mm. Basically, when I notice a *serious* drop in output, I'll replace my batteries. Usually not before then.

In my pockets I carry a pair of CR123's. My bag has a Surefire spares carrier with six extra CR123's. I usually also have at least a few fresh AA batteries in my bag, too, usually from four to eight.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my EDC'd LED's run on li on's and i like to always have them pretty fresh outta the gate. My main light a basic-60 HDS, and i change whenever it steps down from high, or if I am tight on time, let it go till i can't use it and grab a new batt.

That's the one of the killer thing's about the HDS stuff, it will go forvever on a dying Li ion, unlike say my KL-1, once it start's fickering your in trouble.
Honestly the HDS is about the only light i EDC anymore.

My incans (obviously) run on primaries, and I just wait till it's just un-useable basically.VDG

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually don't carry spare cells unless I'm going on an extended trip or know I will be using them. I edc an HDS U60 xrgt and usually swap the RCR-123 on the weekend, not because it is depleted, just so that it always has plenty of juice. It will run for several months on its lowest setting, so I'm not too worried about any emergency situations. :)

nc987

Enlightened
I put fresh batteries in any light i am using away from home for a extended time. If its a light i use at home i let it go until it wont start anymore. The half used cells get entirely used in my Inova X5

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I have a pair of NiMh that I rotate weekly in my L1P. Charge both, run one a week, switch battery, run the other a week, then recharge both again. My charger won't do just one battery at a time.
My 2aa cell lights don't get used as often, so I recharge the NiMhs once a month just to keep them topped off.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my lights use rechargables except my CR2 Ion. I replaced the battery just the other day because high mode flickered and stepped down to barely brighter than low mode. Since this is my keychain/backup light, I'm not too concerned about battery state since it'll still last a while in low mode (and I keep a spare CR2 in my backpack anyway).

Since the others use rechargables, I just switch out the batteries every few days if I use the light for more than a few minutes.

dim

Enlightened
With new flashlights slowly but constantly being added to the collection and flashlights with newer, more efficient LEDs and power regulation and improving batteries and capacities, not to mention rotating EDCs and the like, my battery changing habits change. But, basically, between high, medium and low powered flashlights and various primary and rechargeable cells, depending upon the circumstances and the evening or events planned, I'll, sometimes, change batteries for economy and other times for power.

dim

cy

Flashaholic
li-ion cells have a different discharge curve than primary lithium cells. so you should treat them accordingly.

with primary lithium, object is to deplete cell completely while still maintaining a usesable amount of light.

with li-ion cells, object is to charge cell before voltage drops too low and causes damage to cell. so again you should treat li-ion cells accordingly.

so when to change batteries depends upon what type of cell you're running and what type of ciruit, cell is mated to.

for example lights with voltage regulated, boost circuits like ARC LS first runs will support use of 1x AA nmh cell and will operate at well below 1.2V. So if you are running 1x CR123 primary lithium in ARC LS first run. ARC will keep running well below 1.2V depleting primary lithium, all while maintaining a useable amout of light.

so if you run a bare R123 li-ion cell in ARC LS first run. you would want to IMEDIATELY yank cell at first sign of dimming to avoid damage to li-ion cell.

lights with protection ciruits either in li-ion cell or light's electronics will usually start blinking just before shutting down.

some lights like Surefire L4 with higher startup voltage will start to blink just before shutting down. effectively a natural protection ciruit for single bare li-ion usage.

hope this helps.....