Recommendations for an edc?

placerias

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and lights, having just gotten my first non-minimag light (a streamlight scorpion) recently, so I have some questions. I'm looking for a single-cell 123a LED flashlight, something on the order of the fenix p1 or orb raw (but 123a). Brightness is what I'm after, although something with a two-stage switch would be ideal. Any suggestions?

placerias

Newly Enlightened
i forgot to mention this, but preferably under $80 also. (anything over that, and it'd be information for the wish list...)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello placerias:)

Welcome here.

The Fenix P1 needs a 123 cell, but without a 2-stage.

The Fenix L2T needs 2xAA, has 2-stages and is longer than the P1.

I prefer the AA-solution, because you can get the cells everywhere and with good nimh-cells the runtime will be longer than the 123 solution.

Another possibility is the L1T, 2 stages, but less brightness than the 2others.

I like Fenix-lights, so I can recommend all of them.

At least, it's your decision, which you prefer.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit more than your $80, but I feel compelled once again to reccomend the Fire~Fly III. $136 including shipping, 1 battery, and charger. Don't tell DSpeck, but for what you get, this light is a bargin. You can set it up for 2 or 3 levels, and set the brightness levels to what you want (low/high/burst). It's a masterpiece in metal, and a joy to operate. Plus the fact that it uses rechargable batteries means that you'll use it more since it's free to operate, and in the long run might cost less than a seemingly-cheaper light that can't use rechargables.

The other option I can see is the Fenix L1T which you can feed with NiMH rechargables. It's not confirmed yet (at least that I'm aware of, and even if it's not, it's an inevitability) but the aftermarket bodies (available here) should work with it, and you can feed it with 123A 3V lithium primaries and even 3.7V lithium ions for a brighter high level. I don't know yet if a 14500 will fit in the L1T without modification, but if it does, that's another great option (without having to buy the aftermarket body).

Beyond those 2, there isn't much in the way of inexpensive 2-stage lights, at least 123A or AA based ones. The Jetbeam Jet-1 2 stage isn't available yet (nor yet, I don't think, is the commercial release of the Jet-1 anyway). There's plenty of single stage ones that are nice though. Peak has several (the Caribbean is particularily nice), there's the very-soon-to-be-available Fenix P1, the Amilite Neo T3, and others.

Last edited:

placerias

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the welcome and recommendations, guys. so i guess i'll hold off on the 2-stage part of it. i'm leaning toward the fenix p1 at this point, but are there any other single-cell 123a led lights that are better than the p1?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a Target nearby? It's not going to be "better" than the P1, but the Dorcy Super 1 Watt is a great light for the price ($20). It will be somewhat larger than the P1 but is still quite small enough to EDC and has an excellent beam, terrific tint, and a very easy to use switch. A great "starter" light that would probably fullfill your needs if you wanted, but will more than likely kickstart the addiction... ;).

randyo

Enlightened
Just a wee bit above your price range is the Peak Caribbean. Very bright 1.5W single cell CR123. If you get it with the Pocket Body, there aren't too many that are smaller. You hardly notice it in your pocket. Better run time than most, well built - simple and RELIABLE twistie operation. It's about as good an EDC as you can get.

Review

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Placerias, welcome to CPF!

I agree with regards to the Dorcy Super 1 watt 123 from Target. Mine has the whitest and most useful beam of any of my lights! It's very bright, although not the brightest I have, nor the most throw, but very bright for most tasks. It's a remarkable little light for the price, and is available everywhere.

carrot

Flashaholic
leukos said:
Probably could get a SF L1 at that price point as well. :)
Or an E1L, which is $80 from OpticsHQ. I like mine a lot, especially with the F04 beamshaper. Single stage, though.

zulu45

Enlightened
Solstice said:
Got a Target nearby? It's not going to be "better" than the P1, but the Dorcy Super 1 Watt is a great light for the price ($20). It will be somewhat larger than the P1 but is still quite small enough to EDC and has an excellent beam, terrific tint, and a very easy to use switch. A great "starter" light that would probably fullfill your needs if you wanted, but will more than likely kickstart the addiction... ;).

+1 to this. I EDC my Dorcy Super 1 Watt, and it's totally great. It's so good, if it costed $50.00, even then I would've bought one.

Fiddleback

Enlightened
I've read good things about that Amilite. Only one level, but its under $80.

I just got an HDS EDC 60LE on the sell section for $120. Pretty hyped. Also got the P1 on pre-order too. I suck. Don't tell my wife though.

placerias

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thank you all so much for your excellent advice! This has given me so much to think about. Decisions decisions... :banghead: :) :D :) :D