buy the l4 or l5 or what else?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeap, i am asking again, after i narrowed down my list.

which one should i buy, l4 or l5 or something else?

plz note that the something else cannot be over 160(shipped).

and also, can the l4 and l5 take li-ions battery?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't comment on the L5 but I have do have the L4 and love it with Gizmo's two way switch and 17670 Lith ion. It makes an excellent edc light and both high and low beams are awesome imo.

Flashdark

Enlightened
chesterqw,

I agree with irp. The L4 is the way to go. A short-range, wall-of-light. You can play leggo with all of the E-series parts and you have a pocketable EDC. The L5, although very nice, and a shockproof LED, has been superseded by the 6-stage L5 (the U2 which is a hair brighter on high and runs for 40-50 hrs. on low).

Hope this helps.

s.duff

Enlightened
another vote for the l4. i dont have an l5 to compare, but i can say that the l4 is an awesome light. it's alot smaller than i thought and is a total wall of light. im sure the l5 is great too, but the l4 is definitely awesome.

carrot

Flashaholic
Unless you need (or really really want) the CombatGrip, go for the L4. The extra increase in bulk isn't worth it.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
but i heard and from review sites that the l5 has a greater throw right? and beside, the l4 have a donuthole? and the l5 doesn't(and if there is, it must be VERY VERY slight)

carrot

Flashaholic
What I hear is that the L2 and L4 have a similar beam, very floody, while the L5, L6, L7 and U2 are focused to have a bit more throw. But really, aside from KL1-based lights, Surefire's LED lights aren't really designed for throw.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone can confirm if the l5 can use li ions? and also, the kl1 is the head for l1 right? or is it that of the e1l and e2l? i seen the beam shot they didn't tell me much about how tight the beam is. it uses a lux III correct?

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Some claim that the older versions of L5 might have a different board and might not be able to take 2 x R123's 7.2V
So far, I have seen a few L5 prove otherwise. It's slightly brighter too.
Or you might wanna play it safe and use 17670 at a diminished output.

Yes, the KL1 is the head for the E1L and E2L but not sure about the L1.
Yes, the beam on the latest KL1 is VERY tight, and it uses a LUX III driven at 1 watt for higher efficiency. Whereas the previous versions uses LUX I.

Last edited:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I have two L5s and a two stage L4. The L5 does have longer throw, but as has been mentioned, at the expense of bulk. Both of mine also have slight donuts like all the lux Vs. Nice lights though, and I love the L5/C2/M2 body style. The L4 is much smaller, has less throw, and less donut because the beam is much more of a flood. It does indeed create a "wall of light" and is a great light.

cfb

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone willing to sacrifice their l5 (or abuse the surefire 'we fix it for free' system) and see which li ion battery(ies) is safe and the light output the same as when using the cr123.
i

dmz

Enlightened
How much runtime do you get on 17670 in a L5? What are the other rechargeable battery options for the L5?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen an L5 in action, but I've got a pretty good idea of what the beam looks like. Personally, I like the L4. It fits in your pocket, too!

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
I've been using mine on a panasonic 17670 for almost a year. No problems with it. No worries about it being over discharged as it drops out of regulation way before 2.5v. Tried it with a protected 17670 and the light dims before the cell shuts down. Brightness is the same as using 2 CR123s (according to flashlightreviews.com)

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
No it did not dim straightaway. The light alternates quickly between regulated/bright and unregulated/dim for a few seconds before finally running dim. It's a sign to change batteries if you're using unprotected batteries.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L4 and jus tordered a L5. I like the L4 because it size and superflood. I ordered the L5 becuase i wanted more throw like my L6 but more compact. Also I think the L5 is more durable and You can always upgrade to a Turbo HEad To get greater throw and the KL3

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for your replies guys, i have decided on an l5 and l5 it is.(i know this sentence is wrong but..) will use protected 17670 in it :)