anyone remember when rayovac started their leak damage gaurantee?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the late 70's i serviced an admiral color tv for a neighbor.
afterwards i could not find the 2d magnet flashlight i had been using.
i was at an estate sale at that address yesterday and the kids running the sale marked the same set as free!
since i collect and restore old tube stuff i loaded it into the van.
got it home and opened it up.found the light.but the rayovac batts leaked and ate the whole side out so you can see the batts.
guess they dont like 30 years of heat from a mess of hot tubes.
after a tuner cleaning and minor adjustments the set plays well.
thought of sending the light and the story to rayovac for the hell of it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I remember the Eveready no-leak guarantee went back to at least the early 60s. I suspect that other manufacturers were following suit around the same time.

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how much I can help you but iI'll try. A few months ago my dad helped clean out a friends garage and found a bunch of old toys. A lot of them date back to the 1950's. At least I think so. Among other things there were 5 boxes of Roy Rogers signal gun. I'm fairly confiendent it's from the 1950's. Anway I have no idea how old the batteries in them were but they very well could be the originals. In each gun there was an AA and a C cell. On the C cell their warenty was written. "RAY-O-VAC guarantee If your flashlight is damaged by corosion, leakage, or swelling of this battery, send it to us with the batteries and we will give you FREE a new comparable flashlight with batteries." Donno if this helps but its all I know.

Hope you get a replacement

Patrick

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I've got a Panasonic telephone that uses 4AA batteries. I noticed the phone was not ringing sometimes and some people said they were having trouble hearing me, so I decided to check the batteries. I had 4AA Duracell alkalines in it that were dated 1997, and I think all of them were leaking. There was corrosion scum all over the place. I'm going to try to clean it up with some baking soda solution and see how it looks before I try new batteries. I'm not sure if the leakage has caused any damage to the phone yet, other than cosmetic damage in the battery case. Does Duracell have any kind of similar leakage guarantee to the one being discussed in this thread for Rayovac? If so, does anyone know what it covers and if it is any good?

Empath

Flashaholic
Duracell, Rayovac, and Energizer basically all have the same guarantee against leakage. I don't know if they'll cover products with batteries left nine years after expiration or not, though.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG that is a GREAT story.

Mine's not as great... but similar vein. Worked on a guy's car and left my 3D Maglite under the hood by accident. He drove away. Came back six months later and my Maglite was still under the hood, a little faded but still working.