Replacing front bumper on 2000 Grand Cherokee

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I will start here before I go scouring the net for jeep forums. My gf hit a guard rail with her 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition and there is damage to the passenger side front right bumper. It doesn't look too, too bad, at least the lighting system and lenses are still intact although the plastic shrouding of the bumper in that area is all torn up. First question, can the outer bumper plastic shrouding be replaced if the underlying bumper is ok? If it is all one piece or the underlying part has to be replaced also, anybody have a rough guess how much it would cost? Thirdly, can you recommend any good jeep forums that I could repeat this question?

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That plastic thing is actually called a bumper cover... the real bumper is underneath. And yes it is perfectly legit to replace the cover if the underlying structure is okay. Although, the cover for the Grand Cherokees are not cheap... you might even consider removing it and getting an aftermarket off-road type bumper!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No she just wants it fixed and look ok, nothing special just back to OEM status. I felt so bad for her. Part of the reason is that she needs new tires and I am sending her to Costco for that.