5 cell Xenonstar on 2 x 18650 Li-ion question

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I had a spare 5 cell xenon star laying around and decided to flash it on the ROP LE setup, but guess what? It didn't instaflash!, I have a very white light that is brighter than the TL-3 and just about equal or a hair dimmer than the ROP low, do you know what would be the life expectancy of this bulb? I had it on for a few minutes now and seems to be running well.

Since this bulb is rated with less current draw I am thinking this could be the long runtime bulb for it, do you think it would give me 2 hour runtime on 2200 mah li-ion cells?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Last edited:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Long, Long time. I built up a 2C with 5 cell Xenon Star running on two 18500's (no fit issues) and it's a bright highly usable light. Actually, it's the one I go to around the (especially inside) house most of the time, as the others can, at times be too bright. It should last a long time.

Cliff

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't pop immediately but it if is as white as you describe it may not last that long. :D

I once ridiculously overdrove a 4-cell Mag bulb on 2 lithium ion. Was as bright as my P90! Lasted all of 10 minutes.. :grin2:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb doesn't look that angry white color you usually get from a melting bulb, but it looks whiter than the TL-3 on li-ions.

I'm going to keep using it until it burns out, and see how much life I can get out of it, Looks like a good alternative to the $7.99 ROP low (Package) BTW does anyone know if they sell the ROP LOW bulb as a single item without the high bulb? Where?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
I used to run the Magnum Star 5-cell xenon bulb on one of my Mag 2Cs before I converted it into a ROP-LE. I measured the current draw at 0.94A so, it should last close to 2 ½ hrs on 2500mAh 18650s.

It has now become my favorite bulb for both my Mag1C and the Tec20, giving a run-time of around 45mins/35mins on 800mAh R123s/600mAh 14500s, respectively.