Need a 1x 123a, three watt light

xdanx

Enlightened
I just recently bought a SF E1L and am quite disappointed, This thing has NO side spill and a square beam. Now I want a 1 cell three or five watt LED light that is regulated, and has a pushbutton switch. Also preferably under $150.

Suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

firefly99

Enlightened
What you need is a F04 filter for your E1L, to create a more diffuse and floody beam.

Another option is to get the KL4 (5watt running at 3watt).

xdanx

Enlightened
firefly99 said:
Another option is to get the KL4 (5watt running at 3watt).

I am seriously considering getting a KL4 for my E1L body BUT, I cant find someone to give me a decent description of how it performs on runtime. If there is someone out there Please help me, any info is appreciated.

Thank you

carrot

Flashaholic
I like the E1L a lot. I actually find the tight beam useful, but not in all situations, so it is relegated to duty as my secondary light since I lost my F04 beamshaper. I've tried the L4, and I can say that the F04 makes the E1L like a mini-L4, with a very nicely diffused beam. I'd recommend trying that first, as it is a lot cheaper than a KL4.

Here's a runtime graph for the KL4 vs. KL1: http://members.aol.com/mlt113/myhomepage/flashlighte1l.html
But the problem is, some KL4's have better, more efficient LEDs than others, and so runtime may vary somewhat. Some also have a greenish tint when running on one CR123, but using a 3.7v RCR123 will fix that. The E1x + KL4 combo is sometimes referred to as the TW4, named after TacticalWarehouse which (I assume) discovered the combination.

firefly99

Enlightened
KL4 with the E1E / E1L body is really a great light, it is also known as TW4. Usual comments are "a wall of light"

Suggest you search for TW4 on this forum, for further information.

xdanx

Enlightened
I might go all out and buy a McLux III PD, but first I would like to know if it has a push button switch. (and No, I dont have enough money for the CPF motto)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The McLuxIII-PD has a 2-stage head-twisty for constant-on and a tail-push switch for momentary 2-sage. No clicky there.
bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the e1L isnt a 3w. It is run at ~1.5w.

-David

IonFire

Enlightened
Omg, you didnt know it was a thrower with the optics?, or from reviews?
Ouch.

Cheapo, i think the KL1 uses a LUX III, which i thought is a real 3 watt, except it is underdriven, still a LIII in it though, even if underdriven.

You can always sell the E1L, you will probably get close what you paid for it, minus a small loss.

I will say this, you will, miss the throw sooner or later though, very cheap thrower.

Maybe a HDS or a FFIII may be your special light.

IF

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, it is a lux 3 but it is driven at 1.5 watts.

-David

zulu45

Enlightened
Judging by your price range, I doubt you'd be interested, but at $20.00, this thing puts out a great amount of light. The Dorcy Super 1 Watt is regulated, bright, lightweight, and uses a 123a battery. It has a click switch, as well. I figure I'll suggest this. Then you can take the rest of the money and get more lights.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
zulu45 said:
Judging by your price range, I doubt you'd be interested, but at $20.00, this thing puts out a great amount of light. The Dorcy Super 1 Watt is regulated, bright, lightweight, and uses a 123a battery. It has a click switch, as well. I figure I'll suggest this. Then you can take the rest of the money and get more lights.

I'll second that.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Both the Q3 and the Dorcy are really great lights. Mine are both terribly white and bright and small. I have been considering the E1L also and may still buy one so I can use the head on my E2E and have two lights, but for the money you can't beat the Q3 or Dorcy.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, if you want a cheap light, I'd get a Fenix L1P. It'll outthrow the Q3 and the Dorcy.

-David

old4x4

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
The McLuxIII-PD has a 2-stage head-twisty for constant-on and a tail-push switch for momentary 2-sage. No clicky there.
bernie

This looks like an awesome light, but no purchase info on the website! Where do you get one?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q3s from LED_Experimenter have a momentary contact switch of sorts and has pretty good spill though the run time tends to be a bit short (shortest of these three.) The Dorcy will have a little less throw that might be noticable to the naked eye, but the output is much whiter and is definitely noticable when compared side by side.

The Fenix L1P uses a AA battery rather than a CR123, and is shorter and smaller in diameter. The output quality is about the same as the Nuwai, as is the throw. You probably won't see much difference between the L1P and the Nuwai comparing the two side by side, and the L1P will give you better run time with the AA battery (any AA battery). Both the Dorcy and the Fenix have a click on/click off switch (what is commonly called a reverse clickey in these parts) without a momentary on phase before the light is activated.

All three are relatively inexpensive based upon your price range. The Dorcy is available from Target stores for about $20. The Q3 runs about $30 shipped from Led_Experimenter, and the Fenix appears to have a manufacturer's controlled price from about $38 up from various web sites. The Q3 is the only one of the three that uses a Luxeon 3, though other than using up more current (battery), it doesn't seem to make much difference in output in a light of this size.

xdanx

Enlightened
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have the Fenix L1P and do not like the reverse clicky on it. The Q3 and dorcy are not quality enough. I was seriously considering the TW4 but it wasn't regulated. So the HDS was the only option.