Actual lumen measurement of SF L5

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
ok, so from my other post I gatherd that the actual lumen output of the SF L4 is around 60 lumens, not 100 like what's said on the SF site. Now.... how about the L5? Is it REALLY 100 lumens? Is it any brighter than the L4? If not, I don't see a reason of why someone would get an L5

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared my L6 to My L4. No Comparison the L6 looks way more brighter and throws alot farther too, but the L4 wasnt desinged for Throw its good for Navigating inside the house and hiking trips to light up the ground you walk on. The L6 is more of a spot but still has usable Spill. The L6 does have more Overall Output

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2, L4, L5, L6, L7 and U2 all use a five watt Luxeon.

The L2 and L4 are small and pocket sized. They're similar to the other E series lights. Due to their small reflector, they tend to be mostly flood, with little throw (no tight spot). The L2 is two stage (high and low) while the L4 is single staged (high setting only).

The others have a larger body (C sized) with a larger, deeper reflector. They give a tighter spot that will light up objects better at a distance (more throw). Each one has its own unique characteristics:
  • L5: single stage, runs on two cells
  • L6: single stage, runs on three cells for longer runtime
  • L7: single stage, runs on rechargeable cell pack
  • U2: multi stage (six settings from low to high), runs on two cells

I'm over simplifying some things a bit, such as options like the two stage tailcap for the L4, or the possibility of using an 18650 cell in the U2. But, for the most part, all of these lights will put out somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 lumens, give or take depending on the lottery. Their main differences lie in the reflector choice and power supply.