Plastic Insert in U2

N162E

Enlightened
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I have one of the newer model U2s with the plastic insert in it. I would like to use a LI 18650 battery in it. Does anyone have a method to remove the plastic insert without destroying it?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Try the search engine of CPF ... there are a bunch of threads and some people seem to have it figured out pretty well. Unfortunately I am not one of those ... I like it with insert.
bernie

Flashdark

Enlightened
N162E,

Yes there are I think at least two ways of doing it without doing any damage whatsoever. I do not know what they are but they were discussed in an older thread here in "LED". Just keep going back in time to previous pages until you find it if the search engine gives you any trouble (some of us are having trouble with the search engine of late). If I remember correctly, one of the treatments involved a temperature change in the freezer, and another involved lubrication and a pair of needle-nose pliers. Don't take my word for ANYTHING. Go back and check the thread.

Hope this helps.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stuck th bettery tube in the freezer for an hour and just pulled it out with my finger.

Lots of glue residue left in it though so I guess you would have to clean it out with something. Lighter fluid or "goo gone" would probably both work.