Any Word on When the SF Kromas are Due Out?!?!

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Surefire Kroma: revisited

So does anyone know when Surefire is going to "officially" launch the Kroma on their website?

And what is the word on when someone here will actually get their hands on the MilSpec Kroma and do a review?

I wanna pull the trigger on one and i'm chompin' at the bit to see a review/comparison between it and other torches. :popcorn:

roguesw

Enlightened
IIRC, Size15 once explained that, for surefire models, they will hit the brick and mortar dealers first before it makes an appearance on their website,
this is because they want sufficient stock supply to their dealers before offering it for sale on the website

also, with regards to the mil spec version of the Kroma, i assume you are refering to the Def-3, again, IIRC, surefire has no plans to release those,

i like you am antsy in my pantsy waiting to get my grubby mittens on these lights, i have held off on a U2 purchase for over a year now waiting for the Kroma.

Size15's

Flashaholic
roguesw said:
IIRC, Size15 once explained that, for surefire models, they will hit the brick and mortar dealers first before it makes an appearance on their website,
this is because they want sufficient stock supply to their dealers before offering it for sale on the website

Correct. Contact your Dealer for information on when they hope to be getting stock (and even place a pre-order if you so wish)

roguesw said:
also, with regards to the mil spec version of the Kroma, i assume you are refering to the Def-3, again, IIRC, surefire has no plans to release those,

Wrong. The "Mil Spec" version of the Kroma is NOT the "DEF3" (although you're correct that SureFire can not release products made for that DARPA project it was involved in along with SAIC & LumiLeds)

Please check out the Dealers Forum for more information on the Kroma-MilSpec.

Al :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Actually, I'll run down the differences between the standard Kroma (aka "Kroma") and the Mil Spec Kroma (aka "Kroma-MilSpec"). That I'm aware of both look identical.

The Kroma features a white LuxeonIII behind the central TIR optic.
The Kroma features sixteen (16) 3mm LEDs surrounding the central TIR optic.

The Kroma features a two-stage TailCap (push-button pressure switch LockOut TailCap).
The low stage outputs what has been selected via the dial.
The high stage outputs the main beam (white light LuxeonIII behind the central TIR optic) plus, whatever the low stage was selected.
Note:This function is the same as for the A2. The A2's LEDs output when the incandescent beam outputs.

The Kroma as shown at SS2006 and featured in the 2006 catalogs has the following low beam features:
Low beam: five positions:
High output red (from the eight red 3mm LEDs)
Low output red (from the eight red 3mm LEDs)
Low output white (from the central LuxeonIII)
Low output blue (from the eight blue 3mm LEDs)
High output blue (from the eight blue 3mm LEDs)

The Kroma-MilSpec is exactly the same with the exception that the low beam features are:
Low beam: five positions:
Red output (from the four red 3mm LEDs)
Blue output (from the four blue 3mm LEDs)
Low output white (from the central LuxeonIII)
Yellow-Green output (from the four Yellow-Green 3mm LEDs)
IR output (from the four IR 3mm LEDs)

I can't remember the exact order for the Mil-Spec version.

Notes:
The IR LEDs glow faintly in darkness when on.

I suggest that we start calling the standard Kroma the "K2" or "Kroma" and the Mil-Spec version the "K2-MilSpec" or "Kroma-MilSpec" so as not to get the two confused.

Al

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my understanding after a brief conversation with a CS supervisor at SF a few days ago -- the Kroma is still a ways off. Supposedly, I will receive my helmet light before the Kroma is produced.

JM-99

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not before they stock up on bad switch's, dust/hair/dirt on the assembly line, and donut's. :grin2: VDG

PS. humor don't take it personal.....

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'll see, but I don't think the Kroma's design is as prone to those effects.

The TIR should not be apt to produce a donut hole given slight error in focal length tolerances. The effect of dust, etc. on the back side of the optic would be greatly reduced, and it probably is not optically significant anyway. And the switch isn't a clickie.

I think the Kroma will be a real winner. It seems to be a hybrid between two real favorites, the U2 and A2.

I haven't been so excited to over a new light in a while.

Scott

roguesw

Enlightened
thanks Al
ooeh, that MilSpec looks sweet with red, blue, yellow green and IR
man, it keeps getting better and better

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
We'll see, but I don't think the Kroma's design is as prone to those effects.

The TIR should not be apt to produce a donut hole given slight error in focal length tolerances. The effect of dust, etc. on the back side of the optic would be greatly reduced, and it probably is not optically significant anyway. And the switch isn't a clickie.

I think the Kroma will be a real winner. It seems to be a hybrid between two real favorites, the U2 and A2.

I haven't been so excited to over a new light in a while.

Scott

I guess you didn't see my disclaimer at the bottom, I will enlarge it so you do. VDG

PS. humor don't take it personal.....

Size15's

Flashaholic
I understand that with the naked eye one can see the IR LEDs glowing a dark red when looking at/into them (from perhaps armslength) in lowlight/darkness. A bit like with UV some people can see deeper into the IR than others.

I understand that the reason for using LEDs that are not completely invisible to the naked eye is so that you can create a more powerful useful beam.

Latest posts