Lambda Illuminator Kit

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK,

What interest would there be in a "do it yourself" Illuminator kit?

It would consist of:
Integrated circuit
Toriod Core
Etched circuit cards
Wire
Heatsink
Other required parts

With option for:
Luxeon with optics
Legend AA flashlight

Athough you would need just hand tools to assemble, this would be for the advanced experimenter; skill level 9 at least.

Also a possible MiniMag kit that retains the original twist on/off function; testing right now.

What do you think?

Lambda

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Not specifically for Me (I am only at skill level 1) but given the shortage of the things I am sure there are many who would indeed be interested.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
A MiniMag kit would be fun!

I've put a LS in a MiniMag (no heatsink..LS plugged into the "do not remove" thingy.

Luff

Enlightened
You bet! I hope one option is just for the circuitry, without heat sink, etc.

Will be very interested in pricing.

ToddM

Enlightened
I'd certainly be interested though skill level 9 might be out of my reach.

I seem to remember that a lot of the time into the lambda went into fitting everything together. Might it be worth it for those that are not at skill level 9 to maybe make a kit that might require just fitting and modification of the flashlight (IE not small soldering and assembling the circuit board parts etc.?

Todd

D

**DONOTDELETE**

As a pround new owner of a Lambda Illuminator, I would welcome the opportunity to try my hand at putting together my own flashlight with the help of a Lambda kit. (Though I highly doubt that anyone can do a much better job than Lambda himself.)

Price and availability are all I need to know.

bucken

Enlightened
Not sure about the skill level, but I'm definately interested. What might the minimum head size be that could be used?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to be some interest, so:

I'll post the details to the "Items For Sale" forum that Bushman moderates in week or so, after I get a chance to put some together.

So go order yourself some Artic Silver thermal epoxy right now.................

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was hoping you'd consider making a kit. Will it be necessary (or a good idea) to tune or adjust the circuit to account for variability in the LSs?

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
Great idea
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

mc

Newly Enlightened
Sounds very nice, I would need instructions with it though.

Very kind of you Lambda.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
So go order yourself some Artic Silver thermal epoxy right now.................<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought the "Arctic Alumina" as it was the only thermal epoxy I could find in my area. It's made by the same company and is totally non-cunductive and less costly. I've seen a test where it's thermal properties measured up to about 90% of the silver. Do you think this would be sufficient for mounting LS's to heatsinks or should I keep looking for the silver? Thanks, and yes, I'd certainly be interested in hearing more about one of your kits.

signals

Newly Enlightened
Try here: Multiwave Direct

This is where I got my Arctic Silver epoxy. They are one of the 'official' dealers listed on Arctic Silver's web page.

I also have ordered enough bare parts to build myself an entire PC from MWave. I had some problems with some of the hardware [DOA], and their customer service is very good. They sent a replacement immediately, and I didn't have to wait for the defective part to arrive back at their store. I would trust these people.

-Kevin