Dae's "6W 2-mode Flashlight" - anyone have experiences?

dulridge

Enlightened
There is another thread on this light so if this needs to be moved, feel free.

It is nice. Brighter than an Orb Raw on high - both with newly charged batteries. It has only ever been fed RCR123s by me - it gets a bit warm after 10-15 minutes but nothing intolerable.

It has a lanyard hole that is rather fiddly to thread - I didn't even realise it was there till about 4am today when using it to stare inside a recalcitrant Mac...

It won't stand on its end, and won't do candle mode either as the bezel is removable, not the head. Switch is a reverse clickie.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
dulridge - thanks for the info. I can't find the other thread, do you have a link to it?

So the head is glued on, but you can open the bezel? Is the lens and reflector plastic or glass? Can you remove the lens and/or reflector with the bezel removed?
How does the 2-stage work?

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removing the head from the body was the hardest job EVER. I even boiled it for 5 minutes, (in a baggy) and i scratched the head up to peices, i got so angry that it wouldnt budge i had 2 pair of channel locks and a vice grip... well... long story short, the super nice clean finish doesnt exsist anymore. The "pill" with the led on it screws in and out. The reflector is alu i think, and i dont know about the window. Most likely glass. A very bright light though, and for the price, its a bargin!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks nakahoshi! I did a search for the exact words, but it didn't turn up anything...weird.
Too bad it only fits unprotected R123As according to one of the threads...I only have protected ones and don't want to use unprotected. Looks like a nice light.
Your story about opening it sounds like mine with my V2 Regulated light I got from Dae...love the design, it had great throw and decent output. I tried removing the head and now it's currently stuck in a partially unthreaded state. It still works fine, but the LED's completely out of focus. I can't unthread it any further and can't thread it back down either. I haven't tried bare channel locks yet, but I did use channel locks with rubber in between to somewhat protect the finish, it still didn't budge. now, the finish is more than just scratched or marred...I actually removed aluminum as some of the edges of light are raised and the pliers and channel locks (even with foam and/or rubber padding in between) still took the aluminum off.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason i wanted to open it, was because i got a protected Rcr123a stuck in the body tube. :rant: Oh well, i sanded down the head alot, and im thinking of getting it HA3 on the next run group buy here on CPF. The tail cap is easy to get apart, and now that i took the locktite out, the head is nice and loose but still water tight (i think, no tests). The low mode, isnt very low, but it makes the bright mode look reallly nice. The low is greenish, the bright mode is a nice white. Its a little bigger then a Q3, but it still feels allright in the hand. Also, the light looks real cool with 4 GID o rings in the head, there is 4 nice slots that work. Anyway, with free shipping its a good deal
-bobby

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
What kind of regulation (if any) does this light have?

What about the emitter/star is it a LUX clone ?

Has anyone taken apart the pill to examine?

any mAh readings on a primary CR123? -- I read 1.2A on a fresh RCR123 in another thread, which could mean it's DD.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only electronics ive found are in the tail cap, their is a resistor there for low mode. I think its direct drive, the spring is conected to the star (i think)
-bobby

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
nakahoshi said:
the only electronics ive found are in the tail cap, their is a resistor there for low mode. I think its direct drive, the spring is conected to the star (i think)
-bobby

DD is what I thought, thanks for confirming. W/O regulation a primary CR123 may not be that bright (unless it had a very low Vf) and would read low & very underdriven on the mAh's.

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
huge difference with primarys and rcr123a's. Ill prob sell mine because im never going to use it.
-bobby