3 or 5 watt luxeon with 3 or more AAA?

EricH

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I was on the road and had to do some car repairs. Picked up a Dorcy 1 watt with 3 AAA batteries at an all-night walmart. This is one sweet flashlight - only trouble is that it's not bright enough.

Anyone know of a waterproof (rain-wise) flashlight with a 3 or 5 watt luxeon powered by 3 or more AAA batteries??

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
More watts isn't necessarily better though it is a trap that many can fall into. More likely it wasn't an efficient use of the LED that is in the flashlight. If you got it from a Wal*Mart, the light is probably a Dorcy Metal Gear. While it is a decent light for it's purpose, it's operational energy levels may be impaired by the use of AAA batteries, and the desire of the company to not have these products returned for short run times. A Luxeon III using AAA batteries would result in an even shorter run time.

You might want to consider something using larger batteries, such as one of the Streamlight Propoly Luxeon models (4AA or 3C), or a LEDBeam 3C (uses a Luxeon III.) Both are pretty much at the top of their games for brightness.

And Welcome to CPF!

EricH said:
Hi All,

I was on the road and had to do some car repairs. Picked up a Dorcy 1 watt with 3 AAA batteries at an all-night walmart. This is one sweet flashlight - only trouble is that it's not bright enough.

Anyone know of a waterproof (rain-wise) flashlight with a 3 or 5 watt luxeon powered by 3 or more AAA batteries??

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the batteries co$t more, but the Dorcy CR123 version really ROCKS!

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Brinkmann 3 watt 3xaaa that I got at Target, and I really like it. It is wicked bright:rock: . Much brighter than my Metal Gear, and even brighter than my Gerber LX3.0. The runtime is just under an hour with NiMH's.

dragoman

Enlightened
I have a brinkmann 3-watt headlamp that uses AAA batteries (3).

Runtime is around 3-4 hrs continuous, and it is very bright.

dragoman

EricH

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Excellent responses - I've got my research cut out for me. Looks like the more I learn, the more I realise how much I don't know! :)

While lookin' around, I stumbled across the Surefire U2. Wow, major league drool time. Anyone ever run one of these puppies with LIR123A 3.6V rechargeables??

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why a 3xAAA light? Generally speaking, lights are severely limited by AAA batteries, moreso when you ramp up the wattage. You can get pretty bright initial brightness with a 3xAAA light, but it'll drop quickly and overall runtime will suck. If you look at the graphs on FR for pretty much any 3xAAA light, you'll see what I mean. Stick with AA or larger would be my suggestion.