Have A-2, what should be next purchase?

KreweRoux

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an A-2 (e-bay, $130.00, new with box). I had previously thoght about an L 2 as I liked the 2 output capability and the 100 lumen output. After reading a lot of threads, like the A-2 magnum opus that will no doubt become famous, I realize that the L2 is more of a flood. I don't want to replicate my purchase so it seems the L 2 might be a good way to go. Or should I go for a more penetrating beam like a C3, with a F04 diffuser. Or will my A-2 actually reach out? (It hasn't arrrived yet) How bad is that, I don't even have it yet and I'm already thinking about the next SF, whoo boy am I hooked. I would appreciate some feedback. I'm a chef, so the application would primarily be an edc on my belt with a light to light up a room like the Walk-in (where we store the food, usually lit, if you can call it that by a 60 watt bulb) so I can find food and such. Also what about something for the glove box of the car?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always felt that after the A2, which has low output and medium output, that a high output light like the C3/M3/M3T/M4 or M6 is next. Something about 200 Lumens.

The M3 with HOLA/LOLA is a great light.

Bill

dragoman

Enlightened
After purchasing my A2, my next light was a Surefire 9P w/KL3 head. In hindsight, I kind of wish I had gone with a C3 instead. I love my 9P, I just realize that the A2 spoiled me and that I want a HAIII finish on my lights from now on.

A C3 with a KL3 or KL4 will give you the performance you are looking for, and if you need bright you can use a P91 lamp assembly in the stock head, or buy a Turbohead for even greater throw. Many many options are there with this setup.

I like the 3-cell light for longer/brighter runtimes too.

dragoman

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need anything. The A1 will cover 99% of the situations you will ever need a light for ever again. As long as you are carrying it, you will have both a "find those pesky cherry tomatoes on the bottom shelf" and a "reach out and find that noise in the woods in the distance" light. If you want more medium range flood than the A2 provides (still not bad...) then the L2 will give you that. It will light up the whole yard brightly while the A2 has more concentrated beam with spill light (what is not caught by the reflector and sent forward). You will always be trying to figure out which to carry though. :touche:
I was looking at getting an L2, but was able to talk myself out of it with an A2. An older one even... It is a tank that will last and last while it does just about everything. Wait and see if you ever need to see something further than the A2 can reach.
Not to bad mouth the L2!! it is a good light, is just as tough, well built, the 2 levels are good (though the low is still very bright), and I'm still sometimes tempted to get one, but first see what the A2 can't do that you need, then get the L2 if what you need is a floodlight. Or a HOLA incan if you need more throw. None of SF's LEDs out throw the A2. Not yet. That is the Striker VG's forte'.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I didn't think I'd find a better EDC flashlight than the A2.
And then the L2 turned up and stole the show.

Perhaps you should go for something LED - sometimes very different from the A2?
I guess it all depends on why you want to get another flashlight?

You could get the L4 and that opens up a lot of options for interchangeabiliy.

Or, you could get an M6. It's a whole other world from the A2!

Al :D

Latest posts