Just introducing myself

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im new to the forum and figured I'd give some background info so im not just an internet name.

My name is Ryan, I'm 17 and live in Birmingham Alabama. Ive never really done any flashlight modding (other than the "wonder if i can fit thsi giant bulb in my maglite" when I was 10). I've always loved playing around with minimags and just trying to make them better.

I dont have any "nice" flashlights at the moment. Right now all I have is a pewter minimag that I just bought and plan on modding it out. Hoping I can put a 3w luxeon in it and some rechargable batteries.

I go caving (or "spelunking") and rapelling often so I mostly use headlamps. Sort of tired of them though so I'm moving to flashlights. The flashlight I use the most is a cheap 28 led no namer that I'm sure you've all seen. Has pretty much no throw but me and my friends like to go find old abandoned house and factories and it is perfect for lighting up a room.

Open to any suggestiosn on what I should to to my mag first. I've got the SMJLED kit on the way. Saw someone on this forum that could just fins into the head for cooling, so was thinking about doing that too. Later once I learn some more (and get better at sodlering) I want to put a 3w in it.

Hope you made it through all my rambling and thanks for all the help in advance that I'm sure I will get here.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Welcome aboard - better start putting your pocket change in a jar now for future purchases!! :D

Just as you can't do every job with the same screwdriver - different lights are needed for different tasks! Please take some time and read through the CPF Rules posted as a link button at the top of the page.

Watch the B/S/T Forums for some GREAT deals as well!

Thanks and enjoy!

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
WHat would be some good rechargable batts for the mag after I put in the smjled? Should I stick with stock power or woudl the led be able to handle a little more voltage?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently doing a runtime with a MM and SMJLED using 2 Sanyo 2500's. So far, it's been on for 11 days 4 hours straight, turned off once to check cell voltages. They went in at 1.45v hot off the charger, and are currently now at 1.26v each.
The brightness level they've been at the last week is enough to navigate a dark room just fine. The SMJLED has gone above and beyond my biggest expectations!

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Welcome to CPF, Gimp_Light. You'll want to check out AuroraLite's comprehensive Minimag mod thread here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83903

At risk of making your wallet commit suicide... here's the ultimate headlamp for cavers, the Stenlight.

Thanks for the link, I found it on the forum before I signed up. I've read it about 3 times already :grin2: some good info in there.

Haha yeah we've got a couple pricey lamps downstairs. My mom uses a 150 dollar lampy that has 40 white led's and 4 green. It even reduces output when it detects someone elses light so you dont blidn people when you look at them. My stepdad has a $400 xenon/led lamp that is very nice.

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
Omega Man said:
I'm currently doing a runtime with a MM and SMJLED using 2 Sanyo 2500's. So far, it's been on for 11 days 4 hours straight, turned off once to check cell voltages. They went in at 1.45v hot off the charger, and are currently now at 1.26v each.
The brightness level they've been at the last week is enough to navigate a dark room just fine. The SMJLED has gone above and beyond my biggest expectations!

Thats good to hear, becuase I will mostly be using the minimag as a tent light or for the late night trip to the woods when nature calls.

Soon I Plan on buying a main light, sot sure which yet though. Want to keep it under $100.