surefire G2, 1watt led drop-in

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to buy an surefire g2 and a 1w drop-in, but lighthound.com says they are not compatible.

I prefer to have the longer runtime of the 1w also their cheaper.

I don`t no anything about a metal ring.

in the lighthound link in my original post, most of the lights that will take the 1w will also take the 3w but not the g2.

why.

maglite

Newly Enlightened
the p60 and p61 have a petal spring that make contact with the metal tube inside the body of the flashlight to complete the circuit. there is a metal ring that comes with the g&p drop ins that is sussposed to complete thsi task. however, i could never get teh 3w drop in to work in my g2, so i gave it to my dad who has a 6P (with a metall body). i have heard form others that they got it working ok, but i never got mine working. good luck with yours. just try putting metal objects in there to complete the path to the metal tube inside the body. good luck.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't buy the 1W but the 3W - it worked a bit...you take the metal ring out of the recess halfway along the drop in body and,sort of, stretch it into a springy looking thing (Half a spring really) bung it onto the end of the drop in and cram that into your G2, then screw on the head and hope that it works!(descriptions are on the flashlightreviews.com website for the BOG drop in).
Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I have heard that in general it's a bit hit and miss, depending on your G2.
However it does work on my C2 and even my LEDWAVE X1!! And it's a very good drop in, just a bit frustrating.

I'm sure it could work better with a bigger spring, like on the bulbs from Surefire, or even with a blob of solder.

Persevere!!...then go buy an INOVA T2 for about the same brightness and longer runtimes!!! :ohgeez:

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've got two of the 3 watt BOG drop in modules and had them working in both of my G's and in my G2z. There is no reason why the 1watt module should not work in your G2 because (AFAIK) the actual module is the same whichever type of LED it has in it.

The metal ring is nothing fancy. Actually it is just a crudely shaped bit of wire. None of mine were even circular. It actually fits without ceremony just above the plastic polarity guard and when the bezel is replaced makes a contact between the metal liner and the outer edge of the LED module.

If you didn't get one when you bought the module you could always try to make one?

Doug

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello dougmccoy

could you post a picture of the metal ring.

thanks.

dougmccoy said:
I've got two of the 3 watt BOG drop in modules and had them working in both of my G's and in my G2z. There is no reason why the 1watt module should not work in your G2 because (AFAIK) the actual module is the same whichever type of LED it has in it.

The metal ring is nothing fancy. Actually it is just a crudely shaped bit of wire. None of mine were even circular. It actually fits without ceremony just above the plastic polarity guard and when the bezel is replaced makes a contact between the metal liner and the outer edge of the LED module.

If you didn't get one when you bought the module you could always try to make one?

Doug

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Yeah, Sure, but you will have to wait until I get home tonight for me to do it. sorry!

Doug

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Tinder,

As promised here are the pictures of a 3 watt Bog module with metal ring fro the G2.

DutyBELT032.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/dougmccoy/DutyBELT021.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/dougmccoy/DutyBELT029.jpg

Regards

Doug

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello dougmccoy.

does the ring just fit over the refector in the last picture and make contact when the head is screwed on.

thanks for the pictures.

if it`s only a metal ring why don`t surefire supply them with the 1watt as well.

they must not be able to afford to on their profits.

thanks.

rabbit

Newly Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
hello dougmccoy.

does the ring just fit over the refector in the last picture and make contact when the head is screwed on.

thanks for the pictures.

if it`s only a metal ring why don`t surefire supply them with the 1watt as well.

they must not be able to afford to on their profits.

thanks.

I don't think Surefire make 1W dropin.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Tinder,

I can't see any reason why the 1 watt wouldn't work with a metal ring the same as the 3Watt module? From the pictures on Lighthounds site the only apparent difference is the shape of the polarity guard?

Why dont you shoot John an email and ask? He's a great bloke and might be able to help?

Doug

BTW the ring fits just like it shows in the picture (if your not using the links).

Oh another BTW. Surefire don't make any drop in LED modules. The BOG 3 and 1Watt modules are by a third party manufacturer called G&P. They are better known for making things for airsoft games etc.

Last edited:

rabbit

Newly Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
hello rabbit

click on the link in post 1 and have a look, forth item down.

regards.

It said ''G&P 1 Watt Drop-In for SureFire®'' so it is a third party dropin, not Surefire but compatible with some of Surefire lights.

I think BOG sells those metal ring if John has no spare one.

dmz

Enlightened
Does anybody have the surefire G2 with G&P 3 Watt Luxeon LED drop-in? Any good?

dmz

Enlightened
Any one get the 1watt led drop-in to work in a surefire G2?