Type 2 & Type 3 HA how much of a difference?

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Ok I did it again, bought ordered another surefire along with a backup MAO2 bulb for my A2 after following the advice so many of you great folks sugguested. What the difference of type 2 and type 3 HA, I know type 3 is better, but how much abuse and water restiance can type 2 HA take? I ordered a gun metal grey E2e and was looking at it as a EDC when i'm not carring my A2 around. Did I choose wisely or not,lol.

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Ok correction l typed type 2 HA by mistake, but l hope you know what I ment.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
type 3 will make a huge difference if you carry the light in a pocket with other metal objects. Type 2 will be all scratched up (think maglite), but a HA3 light will look new.
-bobby

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Good Referance point, I ordered a Satin Grey E2E oh well should have spent the extra 20 and got type 3 HA. But will be fun to see how much fun this type of surefire can take. I should have got an E2d.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANW said:
...how much abuse and water restiance can type 2 HA take?...
In this context, I think there's not much functional difference between the two. Bare aluminum is waterproof and pretty corrosion proof except maybe for hot salt spray. Abuse which affects function of the light, e.g. deforming the metal, will pretty much be unaffected by any type of coating.

Type III HA provides a much stronger surface coating to the aluminum. In many applications - HA aluminum cookware and bearing surfaces inside an M-16 to name 2 - this is critical so a high quality HAIII coating is applied there. For flashlights, the improvement is primarily cosmetic so Type III is worth about as much as you value the appearance of your light.

Also, HAIII coatings vary in quality and thickness. I don't know if even Surefire can match the HAIII you'll find on a Calphalon HAIII skillet or a US GI M-16.

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your replies, Sorry size 15 I was not quite sure how to put into better words to get my question across oh well thanks again to all.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Not to worry. I guess I feel its important that you don't think that type 2 anodised finish (such as SureFire's standard black of the 6P etc) is a hard anodised finish. There is a big difference in the ability to resist wear (show signs of age etc) between the type 2 black finish and the type 3 natural hard anodised finish.

Al

InfidelCastro

Banned
I always thought maybe "Type III" was just three coatings and "Type II" was just two. Wasn't sure if they were two completely different types of finish. Cuz my HAIII lights always seem to have a thicker finish on them, though I do noticed the "Type II" finish is usually more glossy and much easier to scratch. (Maglite is type II I believe).

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
I have a type III, carry it every day in my pocket, sharing the little space along with keys and coins. After 6 months of carrying it, the only thing that has scratched is the pocket clip alongside its edge. The body still looks new.