U2 Owners

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Those of you who sent your U2's back to Surefire, Kinda a stupid question but How well does your new/returned U2 work? Were they returned in a short nomal time period or did it take longer than expected to get back to you? I emailed surefire about my new U2's donut hole they emailed me back to call and send it in, and now i'm debating if I can live with it or should send it in and wonder what i'll get back in exchange. Anyone want to share their experiances what they did and the results would help me out. Thanks in advance and God Bless.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ill respond to all your posts today i guess! Well, from what ive learned, the surefire U2 turn around is about 4 or 5 weeks. If you have a nice tint, your allready lucky, so it depends if you really want to push your luck. I dont think they screen the new U2 you get back, so its still a gamble, and some CPFers have gotten worse samples back. If it doesnt bother you while you use it, i wouldnt waste the time.

ANW

Newly Enlightened
LOL :lolsign: Thanks for answering them, I value all replys to these threads even though my wallet hates me for joining this site,lol :grin2:

JonL

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

What does SureFire do to "adjust out" the donut hole? Maybe this is something that isn't very hard to fix...

Just curious...

greenLED

Flashaholic
My first return took just a couple of weeks, but... I got a light with the same problems (plus a couple more) as the one I sent back. Still waiting on the replacement to come in...

Last edited:

Englander

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
My first return took just a couple of weeks, but... I got a light with the same problems (plus a couple more) as the one I sent back. Still waiting on the replacement to come in...

IF its been more than a couple months, then id be ringing up and riding their asses!! how long does it take to send off another one!

Craig.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st U2 - selector ring not functioning only 3 levels. Good switch, Good tint, donut only if you really looked for it and not noticible outside.
Sent back to Surefire.

12 WEEKS later, I finally got a replacement. Made multiple calls but it did no good.

Replacement U2: less pleasent greener browner tint, much more noticible donut but tighter focus, dial selector is like sandpaper inside. Same tube and cap as before. Plastic tube came out with finger pressure after a sit in the freezer for an hour. Overall a worse light in every way except it works right, which is the important thing.

Visually it is quite a bit brighter (double?) than FF3 on max, and the FF3 is somewhere around 70 lumens.

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if surefire has a big box filled with "bad U2 heads". Imagine all the money Sitting there.

Or, they could re-market them "instant bulls eye target system", wow, the US gov would spend a fortune on the super new technology!

I think the real problem, is anything associated with Bono is bound to be filled with problems!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I know, why this brand is namend SUREFIRE

You can be SURE, to FIRE the light back to the manufacturer, earlyier or later:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

ANW

Newly Enlightened
So far it looks like i'll just live with it from the experiances i've read, oh well l gambled once buying the U2 no need to press my luck. Thanks again for the replys.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Englander said:
IF its been more than a couple months, then id be ringing up and riding their asses!! how long does it take to send off another one!

Craig.
It's still well within what I expect from SF returns. It is a long time for an impatient flashaholic, but no harm is done (yet). :)

faucon

Enlightened
I'm lucky. My U2 has an excellent tint and a nearly invisible donut hole. I did have to have a new tailcap sent to me. It took about a week. I might hesitate to send one of my lights directly to Surefire if it really takes weeks to get it back, although they do seem to (eventually!) make good on their promises most of the time.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
My return took 10 weeks or so. I sent in a light with a very noticeable donut and green tint on the lower levels.

I received back the whitest LED that I own (I own many) that is not green or blue at the lower levels.

I still have a donut but it is not as noticeable as it was before. In fact yesterday, I was experimenting with the PDA screen overlays to try and remove the donut altogether and I noticed that it was hard to see the donut without the screen overlay.

All in all, if Surefire can give you some assurance of how long you will be waiting, you should take the chance.

-Goatee

gessner17

Enlightened
Some random information, I had in my possession about 100 new Lux V's. I checked them all before I sent them out using 6V and an MCR20. probably 90% of the batch had a donut whole, there were a very few that did not, I don't think it is Surefire's issue, but the maker of the LEDs. Just my 2 cents...

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANW said:
Those of you who sent your U2's back to Surefire, Kinda a stupid question but How well does your new/returned U2 work? Were they returned in a short nomal time period or did it take longer than expected to get back to you?..
My first U2 had a very severe donut visible at all output levels, distances and target surfaces. It also had a bad tail cap.

Returned it to Surefire, took about 5 weeks to get replacement #A08480.

This one is great -- incredibly bright, only slight donut. Tint is white, shifting to slightly green at lower outputs. Excellent light.

Using a lux meter and comparing wall/ceiling reflection to my HDS EDC U60, my U2 is at least twice as bright. In theory that's 120 lumens, very conservatively over 100, at least.

I'm happy with the replacement U2. It's one of my top three lights. However I agree Surefire quality control on this light is poor. If the light wasn't so good I would never recommend it because of the QC issue.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, lets say i purchase a new u2, what are the odds of me getting a donut?

-David

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say 90% chance you would get a donut, but I just bought one and it has a slight donut where I could live with it since this light has a very bright white tint and no problems :sold:
cheapo said:
so, lets say i purchase a new u2, what are the odds of me getting a donut?

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
90%.... man, thats a darn shame. Does anyone have one without a donut? Is there anything you can do to get rid of it (replace emitter??)... i honestly dont mind a donut on the lowest 2 levels, but on the higher 4, it would be a bother.

-David

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
You'll need to shim the reflector/emitter to get rid of the donut. You "only" need to open the head without damaging anything... :green: