• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McR-Comparison

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here is a small comparison of the most widely used McR-Reflectors, meaning the McR-20 of the Aleph2, the McR-27 of the Aleph1, the McR-38 of the Aleph3 and the new McR-27L of the even newer 27LT.

Camera settings and surroundings are static and fixed, the Alephs all use an UV1J DB917 LE, but the 27LT has a UX1K DB917 combo ... meaning there is the Lottery playing between the Aleph LE and the 27LT.
Thus the Alephs are directly comparable whereas the 27LT has to be taken with a grain of salt.

You get a typical white-wall shot and an underexposed white-wall shot to show details of the hot-spot as well as a crappy room shot for the real-life experience all merged together in a big comparison picture.

Single pics:

27LT:
27LT.jpg

27LTlow.jpg

Aleph1:
Aleph1DB917UV1J.jpg

Aleph1DB917UV1Jlow.jpg

Aleph2:
Aleph2DB917UV1J.jpg

Aleph2DB917UV1Jlow.jpg

Aleph3:
Aleph3DB917UV1J.jpg

Aleph3DB917UV1Jlow.jpg

And the comparison pic:

McR-Comparison.jpg

The 27L sports the tightest and brightes corona of all the participants and is a very impressive reflector, especially for the size! A very concentrated and useful beam, just like the McR-20, but even better.
The others are the usual suspects, and I won't go into greater detail here, but please feel free to ask questions or demand more pics if the info presented seems to be insufficient.

EDIT:
To clarify the corona brightness ... here's a greyscale pic with the hotspots removed:

bwcomparo.jpg

Please note that by removing the spot there is a different amount of total light removed for each light, depending on the size and brightness of the spot. The coronas are no indicator of total output ... they are just an indicator for the ... corona :D . And for the transition spill to spot.

bernie

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernie,
Judging from those beam shots, the Aleph 1 looks like a brighter corona than the 27LT which I have not found to be the case at any distance. :shrug: I don't consider either the 27LT or the Aleph3 and HD45 as indoor lights unless one needs to overcome ambient light and shadows. I concur with your comments at the bottom of the post but the images seem to be contradictory or maybe it is just my dirty display on the laptop. :eek:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
To me it looks way brighter. The 27LT I mean. The problem could be the tint difference :thinking: ... guess I should have converted to black&white, but I hate doing that normally ...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Looking at the shots on my PC with larger and cleaner display, it looks more like I would have expected. The other challenge is remembering one while scrolling to see another. Just ignore me! :eek:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
CR2 II only 385 Lux. :( But wait, that's the one with a cut-down NX-05 optic and MadMax lite driver. Well, at least it's over half the Lux of the L4, and will probably drop inside it. :green:

That's a :thumbsup: for including it!

Larry

Kiessling

Flashaholic
OK .. I'm back.

Don ... just for you, I made a no-scrolling version:

McR-Comparisonsmall.jpg

Larry ... you already said that a year ago ... when I originally posted those pics :nana: :D
I know it is unfair, but considering size and a runtime of 2h+ as well as the power source I think we all know which light we'd all want of those posted :wave: :p

Seriously now, here's a greyscale pic of the 4 shots with the hotspots removed to be able to judge the corona and hotspot-fade only:

bwcomparo.jpg

Better now? :)
Please do not forget that by removing the hotspot from those pics we are removing different quantities of light, as the 27LT for example has a lot more punch in the spot than the Aleph2 ...
All this is quite difficult.

bernie

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Bernie, I couldn't remember my own name if people didn't shout it at me all the time! :green:

Larry

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It has a hotter spot that fades much more gently into a brighter corona ... making a way more useful beam for a little more length. I call it a small revolution, just like the McR-20 was. After all, this one is the bigger brother of the McR-20.
bernie

Latest posts